What is Mad Tom?
Mad Tom is a mobile top down shooter game where you control a veteran named Tom. You will have to use your skill to maneuver across different terrains using different vehicles to destroy enemy forces and defeat challenging bosses.
We want Mad Tom to be fun, challenging, and comical. So be prepared for some over-the-top-ridiculousness!
Since this is our first mobile game in the making, we want to release Mad Tom for free on Google Play for Android and the iOS App Store. No ads, no in-app purchases, 100% free.
Who is Mad Tom?
Ex-military Tom, wakes up stranded in a desert and hired mercenaries are trying to kill him. Tom must make his way out of the desert by any means necessary to find answers about who wants him dead, and why.
- Walk through the desert with your trusty pistol shooting down bad guys and avoiding civilian cars.
- Drive around in a Humvee and gun down enemy forces, run over enemy foot soldiers and try to avoid the residential cars and pedestrians...or not.
- Dominate the seas with a gun boat and sink enemy vessels. Watch out for civilians on the water having a good time, or send them to their watery grave!
- Have air superiority and shoot down hostile aircraft, birds may get in your way of achieving victory.
- Need more firepower? How about controlling an armored tank and show your foes who has more firepower. Don't forget to slow down in construction zones and look out for workers!
- Acquire different types of power-ups to give you that edge in battle. These include: rapid fire, extra health, spread-shot, reinforcements, and more!
Mad Tom will feature an in-game only store that uses money earned from within the game. There will be no micro-transactions with real currency.
Throughout the campaign, you will be able to earn money as loot from your enemies, and for completing levels. You will then be able to access the store to purchase new game modes, vehicles, and more for those modes.
Do well in the campaign, do better in the other modes.
- Campaign - Discover why Mad Tom was left in the desert. Fight your way to discovering who wants him dead.
- Mayhem - Mow down the innocent in this mode. There are no bad guys, just you in your favorite vehicle, dominating those who don't deserve it.
- Endless - Think you're a Mad Tom master? Choose your ride and see how long you can survive against the forces of the enemy.
Want to see more of the action?
What are the funds for?
We are a small team of 5 trying to make our first game. Unfortunately making decent games can be expensive due to software licensing and tools. Here's a list of our expenses:
- iOS Developer Program - We would love to publish to iOS devices, but we won't be able to without paying for a membership.
- Basecamp - We've been utilizing Basecamp for our project management, a central place for discussion, to-do's, deadlines, and more.
- Corona Labs - We're using the Corona SDK to make this game, and it would be excellent if we could obtain the advanced features with a subscription.
- TexturePacker & PhysicsEditor - These two pieces of software help a ton with letting us put our images into the game and detect collisions!
- Resources - We need some funding to pay for developers, images, songs, and sound bytes.
- Kickstarter and Amazon Fees - Everybody needs their cut :)
Have a question about the Mad Tom Kickstarter project? Shoot us a message on here or discuss it on our CrowdFundingForum!
Risks and challenges
This is our first game and kickstarter. We hope there won't be any major issues, but we feel that as a team we can overcome them. We do however have a background in programming and multimedia creation. One of the challenges will be to get the physical rewards ready and shipped in a timely manner once we are fully funded.
This will be the first time publishing to Google Play and the iOS App Store as well, so we will need to work through any hiccups in that process to get the game out to the public as soon as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)