New kickstarter closes in 7 days! Working on 3rd stretch goal. :)
Chris again! This is the second-to-last update I'll make on this project regarding the new campaign.
We have exactly one week left on it, and we're currently working on the Nemesis as a stretch goal.
What the heck is that? Well... it's basically the Devourer Golem's bigger, smarter brother. It's an OPTIONAL AI sub-antagonist that you can turn on in addition to whatever other features. In other words, this isn't just a new AI personality or something: it's a new independent agent within the AI's hierarchy of murderbots. Keith will be posting an update later today (on the new campaign) with details.
We have hit the Spire goal over the weekend, which is exciting. :)
There have also been a variety of updates from Keith that you might be interested in:
- The AI From Within - Part 1: From 30,000 Feet
- The AI From Within - Part 2: Places To Go
- Part 3 will be coming this week.
I have also been doing some video updates (with accompanying text addendums) of my own, focusing on combat and the visuals of that. These are things running in the game engine itself, aka Keith and I have merged our previously-separate prototypes.
It's a messy set of videos in a lot of ways, but really fun if you like seeing behind the scenes work, because it shows just how much the visual and audio flair can add to a game.
- First Combat (Prototype) Video shows the game without squads, in a fashion more similar to AI War Classic. It's a really cool contrast to just how much more alive things feel with squads, I think. It makes for a neat same-engine before and after display.
- Second Combat (Prototype Squads) Video shows the game with squads, but still without sound effects and with some of the various visual polish missing (plus various passing bugs in the visuals). But it also shows things like a bunch of different planet and spacebox background visuals, and in general shows the evolution of putting these things together properly with real game code under the hood.
- The third video for combat I will put out later this week, and will show what happens when the linear interpolation and extrapolation are fully in place, making combat look smoother. It will also show off some new ship models in combat, and I hope to be able to get sound effects going in there. Maybe even an early look at the galaxy map, although now I might be getting ahead of myself.
All in all we're making great progress towards having a playable alpha in February for backers at the alpha tier, as promised.
Thanks for allowing me to pester you yet again! ;)