Countless ships sail the sprawling void between planets, loaded with supplies and weapons. Blackguards use relics of a long fallen empire to terrorize civilians, attempting to conquer planets and even entire systems. Governments are in a constant cycle of decay and renewal, with most just being strongmen grabbing territory for themselves. With so much wealth constantly flowing from person to person, it would practically be a crime not to try to take some for yourself...
What is Science Fantasy?
Science fantasy is the result of melding science fiction and fantasy. The most evocative parts of both genres are stitched together to form a new, patchwork genre that's decidedly different from both of its parents. In a science fantasy setting, your characters will pilot spaceships to abandoned metropolises the size of planets and search for working weapons. They could use nuclear blasters to blow away their enemies, or wade into battle wielding a chainsword. As a Referee, you'll create entire new planets and help tell amazing stories about lovable rogues as they sail through seas of stars and confront deadly aliens in the search for credits.
What is Dungeon Crawl Classics?
Dungeon Crawl Classics is a tabletop role-playing game published by Goodman Games. DCC is a tabletop role-playing game that uses modern mechanics and attempts to hew as close to Gygax's and Arneson's inspirations as possible. It's not a retroclone, it's a unique game designed to mimic the fictions that inspired the first role-playing game. You can find some more information about Dungeon Crawl Classics here.
The first issue of Phantasmagoria will contain:
Five new classes:
- The Automaton: an independent robot discarded by its creator
- The Captain: an inspiring leader and great duelist
- The Gremlin: a tricksy demihuman with technical and magical skills
- The Jovian: an exiled native of a gas giant
- The Star Prince: the final, humanoid stage of a star's life cycle
And additional material for playing in a science fantasy setting:
- New equipment and weapons
- New 0-level occupations
- Rules for creating spaceships
Writing: Chance Phillips wrote this issue. He has previously written On the Shoulders of Giants, a third party supplement for LotFP, and has multiple projects in the works with various OSR publishers. This is his third Kickstarter, with both of the previous two having been successfully fulfilled. To get a feel for his work, check out a review of On the Shoulders of Giants here.
Editing: Jarrett Crader will be editing Phantasmagoria. In the past, he's edited Fever Swamp (a 2018 ENnies Judge's Pick), Ruinous Palace of the Metegorgos, and multiple LotFP books, and worked on the silver ENnie award winning DCC podcast Spellburn.
Cover: The cover is by Luka Rejec. In the past, he's worked on projects from Misty Isles of the Eld to the B/X Essentials line, and layout for many other projects. But his tour de force is The Ultraviolet Grasslands, a project coming out soon from the Hydra Cooperative on which he is behind the art, layout, and writing.
Interior Art: We have four very talented artists who will be contributing art to this issue:
- Jeremy Hart: Creature Features and Dark Places & Demogorgons
- Stefan Poag: Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG and Tales from the Magician's Skull
- Penny Melgarejo: Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells
- Jim Magnusson: Sounds of the Mushroom Kingdom and The Midderlands
Layout: Glynn Seal (of MonkeyBlood Design) will be working on the layout. He's worked on both of Chance's previous Kickstarters, and has done layout for multiple projects for other publishers, including his own The Midderlands setting book, which recently won a gold ENnie for Best Cartography.
Phantasmagoria #1 will be printed through Mixam. It will be a 32 page 5.5" by 8.5" booklet with a black and white interior (on 100 lb. paper) and will be staplebound.
Here are some stretch goals that exceeding the base goal can help unlock!
- FUNDED: $1,250: A new wrap around cover by Matthew Adams (Perdition, Yoon-Suin, The Undercroft) - must select in BackerKit instead of Luka Rejec's cover
- FUNDED: $2,000: 8 page B/W minicomic with art by Michael Gibbons (check out his art here) - free at any tiers including a print copy of Phantasmagoria #01
- FUNDED: $3,000: Pre-fund the second issue of Phantasmagoria - free PDF to all tiers and print to all tiers including a print copy of the first issue
Note: Shipping charges will increase if stretch goals involving a print product are met.
In order to get an add-on, either pledge that much more and select it in BackerKit or pledge the normal amount and select it in BackerKit and pay more then.
Risks and challenges
There are the standard risks, like an artist becoming sick, but this is my third Kickstarter, and the manuscript is already complete and edited. Plus, there is a bit of wiggle room built into the expected delivery date.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)