We've shown you how we make the DNA, and how we use a gene gun to insert into the nucleus, but what we haven't shown you yet is how we test our constructs. To test the constructs we use agro bacterium to insert the test sequence into a small part of the leaf tissue. We are testing on Tobacco because we found the transient assays work better on that than Arabidopsis (bigger leaves and less of an immune response)
We can then come back two days later and see how well the sequence worked. This allows us to test multiple sequences in just a few days rather than the many months it takes to make a full plant with the genes.
Also we wanted to share something cool: The British film industry has been inspired by all your support for the project! A group of filmmakers in London have produced a short drama about a young Biohacker who makes an illuminated plant. It touches on love, science and synthetic biology!
They are currently looking for support and completion funding over on Indiegogo. Take a look at their trailer here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stem/x/5155111
We're pleased to support them with their crowd-funding campaign and can't wait to see the final film in April. Let's help them get there!