Use this space to cheer the creator along, and talk to your fellow backers.
Have a question?
I was looking forward to the glowing plants' seeds in which I pledged $40.00, way back in 2014.Hopefully, this will not turn into a class action lawsuit!
Hi Luke - not yet, BUT I've had a cold. I'll keep you informed! :)
Both Sandra and Ahmed have mentioned that they have received their moss and that their moss does not generate any noticeable scent. It will be great to hear from them again after several days to see if their moss has started to produce a scent.
Hey all! Not sure if anyone reads these, but I did see that a bunch of backers haven't gotten their Orbella yet. I did receive mine - wanted to give my experience:
1. It's really packaged well. I appreciate the "mushroom" packing material (which does compost like a champ).
2. When it arrives (or, at least, when MINE arrived), it comes with a ziplock baggie that has a lot more of the "gel" in it than I think that they had planned. We all got an update about this - it has to do with trying to get shipping to work in higher temperatures.
3. Not being a huge video watcher (so sue me), I actually followed the WRITTEN directions on the "how to put your Orbella together" page. One thing MISSING from this page (but in the video) is that you need to peel the little plastic round off the back of the moss. I put the whole thing together as per the written instructions (as supplemented by the "there is more gel" email), and then watched the video. Then (ahem) I had to caaaaaarefully get the moss back OUT of the Orbella, peel the plastic circle off the back, and put it back in. My bad - but I put that here in case anyone is like me, or if Orbella reads this and wants to "annotate" that part of the written instructions.
4. The written/video instructions say to put the stones and the gel into a cup, add a teaspoon of water, then swish them around to mix, then put in the terrarium. Because you get SO much gel now, it's actually easier to just put the stones into the gel that you get in the ziplock baggie, swish it around in there, and then squeeze it back out into the terrarium. FWIW, if you cut a bottom corner off of the ziplock, you can squeeze the gel/stone mixture out of that hole into the terrarium and it's WAY easier than having to spoon it back out.
5. My Orbella is the "lightest fragrance" one (the "rose" fragrance), and so I knew that it might or might not smell. I don't smell it, but I do know that when the scientists figure out how to make the fragrance stronger, they will. As such, I might suggest buying one of the "smellier" ones. That said, it really does look cool anyway, fragrance or not, and "caveat emptor," I was warned that this was the one with the least noticeable fragrance. It might develop in time, etc.
Not sure if this will be helpful or even read by anyone. I'm pretty excited to have the Orbella! I know that those of us who have been receiving updates since '13 when we originally backed the "Glowing Plant" are intrigued by this sort of stuff - I'm excited that a product did come out of the lab (even if it was a little "sideways" than what was originally planned) and that we will be notified of the great stuff developing in the future.
I have no problems with shipping being slow so long as there's updates as to why. That second half of that statement is pretty important, though.
Luke/M.G: we've shipped about 100 units of the moss, which is less than the 400 we expected to ship in August. This is due to contamination and excessive heat killing some of the moss, we've fixed those issues though and currently have about 750 units plated which will ship once the moss is mature enough to survive shipping. This means our weekly shipping volumes should increase soon, thanks for your patience as we try to scale up.
Jerry: it grows pretty slowly unless you grind it up and grow in liquid for a period first. That's what I would do if I wanted to expand to a larger container, otherwise it's going to be pretty slow. You can also divide and replant as you suggest, but this is slow. It grows in something called BCD media which you should be able to find the ingredients for online.
I haven't yet, Luke. I also placed my order in late July and haven't seen any change or update regarding shipping. It would be great to get some kind of confirmation that the moss is actually going out and if so, when we could expect it.
Has anybody received their Orbella moss yet? I ordered back in July and still have not received anything.
If the moss were to be replanted in a larger container, say, one with a circular growing area of 1 m^2, how long would it take to fill the container (assuming the moss were replanted in the center of the container)?
Does the moss need any particular, specialized medium on which to grow?
Can the moss be divided and replanted across the new container, to speed overall growth?
Ahmed: yes the moss needs light to make the scent. It does need some time to recover after its journey. I recommend covering the hole to accelerate the accumulation of scent. This moss doesn't grow that big so probably won't out grow.
Another question: Should I expect my Orbella to outgrow the glass ball at any point? A quick Google search on growing moss says that this category of moss grows outward as opposed to upward and it's already touching glass on all sides.
Shower thought: if one were to ingest large enough amounts of glowing plant, would he have glowing excrement?
Also, I just set up my Orbella. It doesn't smell like anything yet, but I had to wait a couple days before unboxing so it may just need some sunlight.
@Jerrry Just telling it how it is. They are an unrepentant bunch of scam artists who have now, as evidenced by the people who unfortunately bought into the moss, continuing to scam people.
@Albert Wong TROLL TROLL TROLL
@Anthony SHAME SHAME SHAME
$79-$65=$14 + $10 Shipping .... so an extra $24? No thanks....I don't like paying for shipping anything. I'll stick with the satisfaction I backed a science project but I have other stuff I can spend the money on right now.
Has anybody received their Orbella moss yet? On July 25th, I redeemed my GLOWINGPLANT80 code and still had to pay roughly $7 for shipping for the Orbella moss. I still have not received anything, and I am getting worried that this is a ponzi scam.
I backed at the $80 "Vase II" level, but I want to order two Orbellas (one for me, the other for my sister). I understand that I'll need to pay $160 (2 Orbellas) - $80 (discount from KS pledge) = $80, but do I pay $20 to ship the two units, or just $10 total for shipping? (I'd try to place the order now, but I'm at work, and the site is blocked by our proxy.)
JTP: I don't have a shareable schedule at this point, after missing all our other estimates I think it's better not to make predictions.
@Antony - So, what is your schedule for the Glowing Plants project that I funded? This talk about the other project, moss, is fine but what is the project schedule for this Kickstarter project. Should I expect seeds in 2018? 2019? A laid out schedule would be fantastic at this point so I would know when to expect delivery.
@Antony - please get your team to respond to messages via Kickstarter or Facebook. It's been impossible to get a response from anyone, aside from your odd comment here on Kickstarter.
John: Two reasons, first it's to do with the way the shopify system works that we can't take both the fee and the discount with a code. Second we are very short of cash and so we need to cover the shipping costs.
@Dion I will when they eithe refund my USD 150 in full or, as a suggested in the past, liquidate all holdings and distribute the proceeds pro rata to all backers. See below, Dion, even their current moss endeavor is a fiasco for backers.
Albert Wong - Go be a troll elsewhere.
Still waiting on an answer on why there is a shipping fee on even those of us who pledged at the higher tiers.
Or tock. Silly spell checker.
Tick rock you scammers.
@Antony - Still waiting for a response via Kickstarter's message system. Thanks.
@Creator - any updates on my order of the moss? My wife's birthday is now 3 days away.
Still waiting on the higher level codes to be corrected. My $250 pledge still only shows a credit of $120 on the Orbella order page. I’d love to get two (or even 3) mosses, but there isn’t enough to cover more than one - and If I use the code to purchase a single, I can’t re-use it for more later.
Could you fix this please? I really want these to demonstrate the possibilities of genetic engineering to my students!
I bought the moss for my wife's birthday which is August 11. I backed the moss pretty early. Will I have it in hand before Agust 11?
Thanks for the response Antony. It'll be rushed timing. I'll message you for the details and hopefully you don't mind working it out from there.
Jordan - August 2034
Jordan: I looked at your place in line, I would expect yours to ship maybe the week or August 14th but more likely the following week. Message me if that's bad timing and we'll work out what to do.
How soon can we expect our fragrant moss to ship? I will be moving in a few weeks. I ordered one almost immediately in hopes that mine would be shipped in early August. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This is a rip off. I have to spend more money to use the money I already spent to get moss. I product I wasn't even backing. I was backing a GP project not a moss project
Yet more excuses and BS. Par for the course with this "team".
Soooo, instead of working on making a glowing plant, they digressed and found it easier to make smelly moss and decided to go down that path instead of honoring the agreement to work toward a glowing plant. That is exactly bait and switch.
1. the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods:
Jerry: that's a great summary of where we are at, thanks.
@Kelly- your money is long spent - there are no refunds.
I just want my money back. I don't want any moss. Specially when the amount I payed for with my pledge won't even cover the cost of the moss. How do I just get my money back
Just my two cents here, but,
1) The Fragrant Moss (FM) is being offered because it's (a) the Glowing Plant (GP) isn't ready yet (and may have many more months/years to go before it is - science is hard!), and (b) FM *is* ready to be shipped.
2) FM is *not* a substitute for the GP seeds or plants (+books, planters, biohacker kits, etc.) that we backed, so this is *not* a "bait and switch" project as has been suggested. *When* GP is ready, we'll get it, based on what we originally pledged.
3) The additional cost for shipping above-and-beyond what you may have pledged is .... actually, you got me on that one. At a guess (because I'm not with Taxa/Antony, and don't know the answer), it's because THEY have to pay shipping, and don't have the funds to do it. (Okay, this is an *educated* guess, based on a reading of the previous updates and comments from Taxa/Antony over the last year or so.)
4) The "spirit of the agreement," for that those who pledged $40, was that you would get seeds, not a living plant. FM is a living plant, with a planter (the Orb). As Antony said a week ago, Orbella Fragrant Moss "is equivalent to the higher reward levels in this Kickstarter that came with the planter, not to just shipping the seeds." He also said (in that same comment), that at some point in the future, Taxa "might make just the moss available, but without the orb and other components it's a bad user experience so we aren't doing that yet." There's nothing that says you MUST order an Orbella, this is just being offered so that you have *something* while they continue to raise funds (through Orbella/FM sales) to return to bioengineering the Glowing Plant.
If I can redeem the bioluminescent moss in the future then I think that's ok. When it said the offer will expire it sounded like this is the last change to "use" my pledge
If I pledged $150 why am I having to pay another $10.28 for shipping when the moss is $79???
Agreed - 40 dollar credit to buy something more expensive doesn't meet the spirit of the agreement. If you are shipping something you should figure out a way to ship something the $40 backers.
It is not the length of time that is the frustration. Agree with SR and many others that it will take another $50 to get anything out of this backing and not by our choice. At least give the $40 backers the minimum offered item being as we did back the project and waited patiently. Heck send me some killer marijuana seeds instead and we'll call it even. It is bait and switch projects like this that give Kickstarter a bad reputation.
$79 seems a bit expensive for smelly moss. Even with a $40 credit, it's not worth the money being ask. It seems the starting retail price should be $40.