A big THANK YOU to all our backers!!
You can still help me:
I am working as a consultant and I spend lot of time in public transport.
When commuting, I play a lot on mobile games. I particularly like artillery games. Artillery games are among the earliest computer games developed. It started with text-only games! (no graphics!) Adjusting angle and velocity is quite fun!
The first game I played was "Artillery" (in 1989!) and more recently I enjoyed playing to "Worms" and "Angry Birds". Most of these games (if not all) are turn-based games. Something was missing: action!
I spent hours digging in the AppStore looking for what I wanted without success and finally, I gave up. The only-one solution I found was... developing the game of my dreams myself.
In order to add more action to this kind of game, the idea was to get rid off turn-by-turn gameplay and allow the player to move. A kind of a mix between a side scroller game and an artillery game.
Problem: I had no clue how to do that... and no programming skills at all.
The biggest challenge was "time". Finding time to learn and code was quite difficult and challenging. When you're not at work, you're home taking care of your children. Nights are short.
I spent 2 years working on this project and learning how to code! "Hello world!"
As you can see, this project is not just an "idea" anymore! You can try a simpler version of the game:
AppStore: Tank Tank One
You can follow me onTwitter!
Question you may ask: Why did you choose to develop the game yourself instead of paying someone to do it?
- The freedom of having the possibility to make future improvements (even a good game needs improvements!).
- At the early stage of this project, I had no specification, everything was in my head. It could have been very very expensive.
- The curiosity?
- etc. etc.
I chose Apple Platform based on the following information (dated from 2015):
- AppStore's turnover was 70% higher than Google Play's
- Fewer applications/games were present on the AppStore (maybe less competition?)
As a beginner, I made the choice of using the new Apple programming language: Swift (according to me, it was easier to learn and use than Objective-c)
At this stage of the project, there is only one target: iOS. I can't spend more time working on an Android version but if this game is a success, I may reconsider this.
I had to find something else than the gameplay to get attention! What could be more natural than a Tank? A Soviet Tank? Yeah you got it...! Crushing the Nazis is always pleasant, but this time, in Tank Tank Rush, it will be from the Soviet side.
I tried to get the graphic touch from USSR propaganda material. The result looks fine but it could (must!) be better!
Tank Tank Rush is a single player 2D artillery game. The game features Soviet Tank Corps during the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945). The player moves from the left to the right like in a side scroller game. You can adjust the tank's gun angle (even while moving) and fire at enemies.
Each level is different and the environment is semi-destructible. As the players' skills improve through time (and levels), the level of the challenges is also increasing: the enemies are moving and their accuracy is increasing.
The player start with a scout tank (the emblematic T-60, 6,292 were built during World War II!). The player has the possibility to unlock new Tanks (T34-85, IS-1 and IS-3) and SPGs (self propelled guns): ZIS-30, SU-76M, SU-100, ISU-122 and ISU-152.
Each unit can be upgraded.
The App is universal, it works on iPads and iPhones no matter screen size and/or its resolution.
Technically speaking, everything is almost ready, that was the biggest challenge! The beta version is even available and playable! So... why am I here on KickStarter?
A good game is a game with good sound effects and music! I need some more sound effects for the game. Musically speaking, I am... well I can't find the word to describe myself..
Help me improve the graphics! I did my best, it is not that bad but it could be better!
Help me translate the game! Th game is available in French (thanks to me), English, Japanese (thanks to my beloved wife!) and in Russian. Help me for Chinese (or Spanish) translation!
How your funds will be used?
This is the 500€ question!
Funds will be spent on:
- Getting more sound effects (I need to buy the missing sound effects from a soundbank)
- Getting a nice menu music (a loop of 2mn should be enough)
- Improve game graphics. I am working with a Russian artist who designed this project's header amazing picture and made the following drafts!
Remaining funds will be allocated on translations in other langages (e.g. Chinese and/or Spanish first)
Why is this project serious?
- I've already spent a lot of time on it
- I created my own company
- I started to promote the game through my website and Twitter
- I believe it
- Access to the beta version via Testflight: You will be the chosen one to try out the game before its release on the Appstore!
- Tank Tank Rush T-Shirt: Size of your choice. I won't do the design myself (I promise!!)
- Your name in the game credits: Your name will be featured in the credits section (hey this is cool!)
- Handwritten piece of code: oh my god this is the stupidest reward ever! This won't look good!
- Tank Tank Rush magnet: Yes... something more to put on your fridge!
- Dinner: This will be the most boring dinner you'll ever have! (available for people living in France (Lyon or Paris)
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenges were:
- Learn how to code
- Find time
I am currently working on game difficulty calibration and polish. It consumes a lot of time...
The next big challenge will be to get players' attention.
The launch date approaches and I am divided between joy and fear
Support this project
- (30 days)