Thank you! We made our publishing campaign goal, and then some!
We have given our printer the big "go ahead" to publish the Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001. And we are preparing to send you your rewards!
We're in the final several days of our campaign and we have plenty of calendars to continue rewarding to new backers – and to our early backers who are starting to draw up their holiday gift lists.
The Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001 is ready for printing!
One year ago, the heroes who backed our successful Living Deep Time Year 00001 Kickstarter campaign funded us to live time differently for a year, use what we experienced as inspiration to design the Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001, and then share the results with you.
The results of our field research and creative process are in.
And it's a calendar designed to be lived creatively as a daily practice.
By backing this publishing campaign, you will be one of the first to receive and begin Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001. We will use your pledge to fund printing and packaging of the Calendar, and you'll be rewarded with one (or more!) calendar sets.
The Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001 includes:
- a 46 calendar card set, including three introductory cards and 43 poetic images with accompanying text. They will escort you into encounters with the (often strange) times of a wide variety of things and beings. Printed on both sides of elliptically shaped 4.5" x 5.25" card stock,
- naturally finished wood holder for displaying and interacting with the images and text,
- cotton-muslin bag to hold your calendar cards,
- 6" x 9" interactive illustration card that you can mark daily to visualize where you are within the time-producing movements of the earth around the sun.
When we started our research and design process, we had no idea what the Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001 would look like or how it might be used.
But we knew it would need to be a very different sort of calendar. Because Earth is undergoing a time change. In fact, geologists say have crossed into an entirely new geologic “season”: the Anthropocene.
Time seems to be speeding up, pressing in, running out, intensifying, multiplying its forces and speeds, crisscrossing itself.
We need a strange new calendar for these strange new times.
Human Standardized Time isn’t the time habitat our species evolved within. Many things and beings cannot thrive or even live according to its speeds and forces. Humans included.
We have to adapt.
Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001 is a daily practice that can help you adapt your own life's rhythms to the times of the Anthropocene.
Be an Early Adapter!
How to Live Deep Time Calendar Year 000001:
- Select a calendar card at random. Or choose an image or text that sparks curiosity.
- Set the image or text in the card holder.
- Live with it for what feels like a meaningful amount of time–long enough to slow down, sense resonances with things and experiences of your daily life and experiment with re-framing your own time habits. There is an open order to the set and enough cards for you to experience a new “times of___” every 8 days.
- Revisit a calendar card as often as you like.
These 43 calendar cards are your vehicles to:
- Observe the massive and intimate forces of time within and around you.
- Wonder at time’s speeds and scales.
- Draw inspiration from time’s wild creativeness.
- Navigate big fast change in the Anthropocene.
- Re-score your own distracted "modern" rhythms.
The Living Deep Time Calendar 000001 collection includes images and text for the times of:
- fiber optic cables
- temporary housing
- Ise Jingu
- the galactic year
- the color blue
- the human body
- the ancestors
- the fifth season
- the hurricane
- the journey
- the cloud
- the zodiac
- + more!
Maybe like us, you think it's time to change the way we humans are living time on this planet.
Maybe like us, you think art can be a mysteriously powerful vehicle for doing just that.
When you practice Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001, you connect to the many, and often strange, time beings beyond yourself.
You put into effect a channel for creating wonder and meaning in your life that won’t go extinct — not even in the Anthropocene.
Please activate Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001 as a medium for noticing and appreciating wildly diverse speeds, scales, rhythms and durations of time swirling around you, within you, and as you.
Please use it as inspiration to create relief, wonder, and livable time in the Anthropocene.
How we got here:
The funds from last year's Kickstarter campaign allowed us to explore time habitats of the Anthropocene—that unrecognizable new epoch that is "now." We unleashed our life's time from our current calendars. We did field research into rich and strange temporalities all around, and that us took us far beyond human standardized time.
Here are some things we realized:
- When you use any sort of calendar, you’re choosing to practice and perpetuate a certain kind of time.
- We humans always have been tangled up with time-scapes much larger and much smaller than the ones depicted on our usual desk calendars.
- We, and all other beings and things, are made up of the times of other things and beings.
- We, and all things, have material connections to the deep geologic past and are increasingly entangled with deep geologic futures.
- The times of life forms and material things on our planet are both of us and beyond us. These realizations filled us with wonder and appreciation.
We decided that the Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001 would not simply track the weeks and months of standardized human time. It would be an aesthetic provocation to create new ways of living time in the Anthropocene.
Because what we need is a calendar for co-existing with times beyond ourselves and our own species.
We were inspired by an ancient Japanese calendar system that divides each year into 24 seasons such as “Big Heat” and “Small Snow.” These are further refined into 72 micro-seasons that last around five days each, including: “East Wind Melts the Ice” (February 4-8), “Evening Cicadas Sing” (August 13-17) and “Wild Geese Return” (October 8-12). Japanese people discovered these micro-seasons through acute observation of the natural world and deep respect for change and its annual cycles.
We offer Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001 in a similar spirit.
Our sincere thanks to all the visionaries who believe in our project! And an extra special thanks to those who generously backed our research and design process last year:
Ray Ellsworth, Durl Kruse, Jan Kruse, Jane Bennett, Jay Hormel, Julia Shipley, Kit Laybourne, Valerie Triggs, Michele Sorensen, Ed Keller, Alicia Klat, Ruth Ozeki, Nancy Fitzpatrick, Julia Barry, Tammy Pittman, Evie Garf, Marit Nżkleberg, John Drew, Markie Hancock, Kristin Timken, Tim Maly, Andrew Atkinson, Dianne Bruno, Benjamin Brace, Sarah Kanouse, Lynne Huffer, Ross Turnbull, Caryn Cline, Jamie and Gary Storm, Barent Roth, Shannon Mattern, Ryder Richards, The Canary Project, Perri Chinalai, Michele Laporte, Shimpei Takeda, Ursula Biemann, Lisa Weston, Mike Hansen, Jeremy Delgado, Anand Pandian, Future North, Kiri Bear, James Doe, Vitorio Miliano.
Risks and challenges
The Living Deep Time Calendar Year 000001 is finished and ready to publish!
It's challenging to take a project like this to the printer and make sure everything is perfect. But for Living Deep Time Calendar 000001, we're working with the same printer who produced our previous projects. They're professional, reliable, green, and we're very confident that we'll ship your calendar to you by December 15, 002016.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)