More Top Ten at ArtPrize
Here's the rest of the top ten as promised.
6. Mosaic mural of the Crucifixion. This religious piece took the artist over 2,000 hours to complete. She is also from Michigan but lives in California now. She took 2nd place last year at ArtPrize. After this year the top ten won't be allowed to compete the following year. Notice the close up so you can see the intricate detail with the small mosaic pieces.
7. Ocean Exodus is a complicated wood carving with driftwood and is a beautifully executed sculpture. Unfortunately the artist is displaying it on a rotating platform that really looks kind of tacky. I was surprised to see this industrial flatbed used for the presentation. The photo is blurred because of the rotation. This artist made top ten last year also.
8. Mantis Dreaming is a huge metal sculpture that is standing in a grassy, wildflower patch. This artist was also a top ten the last 2 years. The quality of his workmanship is exemplary and the detailing shows it.
9. The giant dog, Rusty, is a playful use of scrapyard junk. The design is quite ingenious and the public absolutely loves it. This sculpture reinforces the name Art-Size as opposed to Art-Prize.
10. Under Construction is a performance art piece with the artist pretending to be a bronze statue. This is the third year he has competed but the first to land top ten. My camera is compensating for people moving in the foreground so the focus is not too great. But watch the 2 minute movie and you will see how the crowd enjoys it. I am having trouble uploading so will send it in a second update tonight.
For more info on the top ten check out the ArtPrize website here
Here's the GR Press