Bicephaly Pictures & co are creating a timeless tale, scored by incredible Icelandic band Hjaltalín. Read more
This project was successfully funded on June 3, 2012.
About this project
What is this film?
Days of Gray is a timeless tale set to an original score by Icelandic band Hjaltalín. This feature length film tells the journey of a boy as he makes his way from his family's strange yet tradition-bound home to the far side of a forbidden boundary. There, a girl leads him through an even stranger place of distortions and mutations. Together they discover a world that is theirs and, in the process, who they might be. Void of most dialogue, the guiding narrative is one of epic intimacy. The smallness of our boy and the vastness of his world is equally provoked through Hjaltalín’s music and lyrics. It is a world naturalistic yet awry, inviting yet fearsome, epic in darkness and in hope.
Why should you support this project?
1. Because it will be wonderful - a truly magical experience, a timeless tale, a real movie like people don't make anymore that will transcend your day-to-day life and make you dream!
2. It's something that hasn't been done in a very long time: we're creating a film like they did back before talkies! Days Of Gray is being filmed completely silent - and then Hjaltalín will create an original score for the film. And there's more! In true hommage to silent cinema tradition, Hjaltalín will perform the score live at the premiere (and hopefully many more screenings to follow)!
3. If we can raise enough funds, Hjaltalín will go on a world tour with Days Of Gray, playing and screening the film live in America, Europe and maybe even Asia!
Anything you can do to help is just great. We truly appreciate every little contribution, tweet, and word of encouragement! We're not just here to raise money, we're also here because we want to share this experience with all of you. Because we love you (even if we don't know you yet), and because we think you'll love Days Of Gray!
If this movie gets made, it's thanks to you.
Meet the team!
Right now, there are these 15 people on the crew:
- Ani (her picture's in the corner down there!) the director !
- Hrafn Jonssón the screenwriter
- Alice Bloch the producer
- Rebekka Bryndís Björnsdóttir the associate producer (Iceland) + bassoon player in Hjaltalín
- Laure Chichmanov the associate producer (France) + on-set photographer
- Cailin Yatsko the cinematographer
- Nell Tivnan the production designer
- Emily Kaplan the art director
- Chloé Van Lierde the make-up artist
- Peggy Anstett the hair stylist
- Théodora Blumkine the costume designer
- Christian Kierulf Praksti the assistant costume designer
- Kirk Carson the grip/gaffer
- Francis Tseng the website + graphic designer
- Kira Simon-Kennedy the marketing + PR coordinator
- Hjaltalín the creators of the score !
$50,000 is a little low for a entire feature film's budget, isn't it?
It's actually only one tenth of the total amount needed - $500,000 - to make the film from beginning to end. But $50,000 is just enough to get the ball rolling with pre-production, and almost as importantly, to find friends (old and new) who want to see this movie happen!
Specifically this money will go towards:
。$15,000 = small salaries for our 15-strong crew (that's about $300 each a month - just enough to help pay our rent and keep us fed!)
。$30,000 = Materials for costumes, sets, props, and prosthetics
。$5,000 = Plane tickets and funds to send Ani, Cailin and Nell to Iceland to scout locations, screen test and cast the actors, and lay the groundwork foundations for shooting in July!
Where are we getting the other $450,000?
1. We're honored to be part of IFP's fiscal sponsorship program. This lets us use their 501(c)(3) non-profit organization status to receive tax-deductible donations from generous organizations and individuals! IFP also becomes a wonderful mentor, helping us navigate the bumpy journey of making our first feature. They've helped so many other amazing films and people that we can't possibly fit them all here.
2. We're talking with an Icelandic and a French production company about teaming up and making Days Of Gray an international co-production.
But really, is it going to be good?
YES! Yes it is.
So, how does Kickstarter work?
Kickstarter is a platform that helps creative people crowdfund innovative projects. It's somewhere between charity and buying something you like, because in exchange for every donation received, the donor gets to choose a prize! The project has a target goal and a deadline, and if the money isn't raised in time, no money changes hands.
What happens if the money isn't raised in time? Absolutely nothing. Nada. Zilch. We get 0 dollars. Your credit cards won't be charged, and Days Of Gray will not happen.
Can we exceed the goal? Yes! Nothing stops us from going over! Any extra will also go towards making the film, and will be much much much appreciated!
After I pledge, when will I receive the prize? Depends on the prize! As soon as possible, we'll make sure to keep you updated.
What if I don't want the prize, I just want to support the project? That's ok too! You'll have the option to decline the prize if you're so inclined, you can even request to stay anonymous and we won't put your name up on the website (we'll just thank you behind the scenes in your inbox or in person when we see you!)
Is my pledge amount publicly displayed? No! Privacy is important in this digital age, we respect it.
If I'm not in the US, can I still pledge to projects? Why of course! The crew comes from so many different places: we're from the USA, France, Iceland, and we've lived & have friends in over 55 other countries (we counted...) Anyone from anywhere can donate anytime, as long as they have a valid credit card!
Who does the money go to? Kickstarter takes 5% for providing the platform and making all this run smoothly, and Amazon Payments takes 3 to 5% to process all the pledges. Every penny beyond that goes towards Days Of Gray's budget!
We'd love to hear from you!
Questions, comments, hellos, all can be sent over here: email@example.com
We'll get back to you within 48h, promise! We love emails almost as much as we love movies.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $10 or more
Your name & a link to your own website/project/portfolio on the special thanks page of our website!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
A digital download of Days Of Gray! Back the movie, get the movie, done deal. Also get your name and a link of your choice on the special thanks page of our website!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $30 or more
A digital download of the original soundtrack by Hjaltalín AND the film! Get your name listed on the special thanks page of our website PLUS a personalized "thank you" video right in your inbox.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
A digital download package just for you including the film, soundtrack, and exclusive bonus materials (concept art, costume sketches, posters, stills) PLUS the special thanks and personal video "thank you".Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or more
8 backers Limited (7 left of 15)
For Hjaltalín lovers:
- all three Hjatalín albums: a signed limited-edition of Sleepdrunk Seasons, Terminal & Alpanon (CD+DVD!)
- a Hjaltalín t-shirt
- a handwritten letter from the band!
(and of course, the digital download package of Days Of Gray!)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
42 backers Limited (78 left of 120)
A one-of-a-kind polaroid from the set in Iceland, mailed straight to your door with a note from the crew in the language of your choice (even Chinese - we have a very multi-lingual crew) AND a special thanks + the digital download package.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or more
15 backers Limited (45 left of 60)
Prefer physical goods? We'll mail you a beautiful boxed set of both the film AND soundtrack in a silkscreened canvas tote bag (designed and hand-printed by Francis Tseng). You'll also, of course, receive special thanks and the digital download package!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or more
Two tickets to a screening in the city of your choice! PLUS special thanks (of course!) and the digital download package, so you can experience Days of Gray time and time again.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
5 backers Limited (15 left of 20)
A 20-minute Skype chat with a key crew member (learn Icelandic, get advice on your film project, hear funny stories from the shoot, whatever you want!) OR a personal call from Hjaltalín who will sing your favorite song! On top of that, you'll naturally get a special thanks AND digital download package.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or more
2 backers Limited (6 left of 8)
Be an extra in the film! Travel costs not included, but you'll get to spend a day on set, fitted with an orignal costume and get a signed photograph of you with the cast & crew as a souvenir! You'll ALSO get that special thanks shout-out and the digital download package.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $3,000 or more
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
Join us for a private advanced screening with cast and crew in Reykjavik, New York, or Paris! (Travel and accommodation not included.) PLUS a very special thanks and the special digital download package.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or more
0 backers Limited (4 left of 4)
Receive a unique collectible from the film (props, costumes, etc) and an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER credit for your amazing support! You'll also receive the deluxe digital download package and all our love forever and ever.Estimated delivery:
0 backers Limited (2 left of 2)
A roundtrip flight to Iceland to spend the day on set! You'll be treated to lunch with the director & producer and generally be a VIP on location with a true behind-the scenes view of all the going ons! You'll also receive a signed photograph of you with the cast & crew as a souvenir PLUS the premium digital download package to remember us by, as well as our everlasting adoration! And, naturally, you will be credited as an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER for Days of Gray!Estimated delivery:
- (33 days)