April: Another container heading towards US!
Hi backers and supporters,
Hope you’re doing great. We’ll keep this update brief, as there’s nothing to do now except ship.
- 12k manufactured so far
- 5,400 currently on a boat to Oakland
- 1,000 currently in our warehouse in Gilroy
- Couple recent obstacles: 1) waiting on a needed firmware upgrade to fix a power delivery issue and 2) our chip distributor sold 10k of our DisplayLink chips (that we prepaid for) to another customer without telling us. Now they’re experiencing a cash crunch, which has resulted in a delay in us getting the chips we need.
The home stretch has been a little longer than any of us had hoped for, but we’re making good progress.
We’ve gotten 12k Superbooks manufactured so far (1080p units). 5,400 of them are headed to Oakland, CA port as we speak:
A couple recent obstacles are worth mentioning. The first one is that while there are units sitting happy in a warehouse in Gilroy, CA, we can't send them out just yet. We are resolving a power delivery firmware bug, but expect that to be done by next week.
The second one is a little unfortunate, which is that one of our distributors sold off the inventory we prepaid a year in advance for. Now the distributor has financial issues, meaning additional delay on the chips we need to finish up manufacturing. We expect this to be resolved by the end of this week -- but I'm telling you this to let you guys know the type of issues we face regularly as a small company trying to manufacture a lower cost good.
So timeline for shipping right now looks like this:
- Late Next Week: We expect the power delivery firmware fix to be completed mid next week. 1,000 US Backers should start receiving shipping notifications late next week.
- Late April: Assuming we are able to resolve our chip delay, units should be ready to ship out to Europe and Asia / Rest of World. Units will go out on a boat to the Netherlands. Backers in the APAC region should start receiving shipping notifications shortly after.
- Early to Mid May: The shipment of 5,400 Superbook arrives at our warehouse in California. US and Canada backers should start receiving shipping notifications by the 2nd week of May.
- Late May: The remaining Superbooks should arrive in Europe. Backers should start receiving shipping notifications shortly after.
Important - Confirm Shipping Address
By request and since we've had a few more weeks go by than we anticipated, we're going to ask all of our backers and pre-orders to verify their shipping address. Go into your backer portal, click on your order, and in the Order Information area, click on the 'CONFIRM ORDER' button.
If your address isn't correct, please let email@example.com know right away so we avoid sending the order to the wrong address.
1. Please check your orders on Dashboard and help us confirm your order looks correct. Click confirm if everything is right. If you see something off, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Any questions or issues? Check out our support or ask our Backer Slack group!
Love, Team Superbook