March madness: 1st batch is in CA and other updates
Hi backers and supporters,
Happy March to everyone, and welcome to a long awaited update. Quite a bit of news, both on progress made in manufacturing (our 1st production batch is in Gilroy, CA) and on how we're handling various challenges in the production process.
1. 1ST BATCH IN CALIFORNIA, SMALL ONSITE FIXES
Last week, our first 1,000 mass production Superbooks landed in our warehouse in California. It was an exciting moment for us, but as we've grown accustomed to with hardware development there were some small issues that cropped up. As we inspected each of the units that arrived, quite a number of them experienced weakening of the glue that holds the trackpad in place during the ocean shipping process. This resulted in some units having the trackpad completely removed (or loose) on the Superbook. Gordon and members of our team have spent the last few days testing out solutions to fix this issue, and we've found the solution -- something that'll be applied to the remainder of our mass production process.
These units will get fixed as well in our warehouse, which should finish up over the next week. Since these are our first units to ship, we are being ultra careful in our inspection process, opening and inspecting / testing each unit both at the factory in China and at our end warehouse.
2. EMAIL UPDATES DURING SHIPPING
When your Superbook arrives in the warehouse, you'll receive an email from us confirming its arrival and asking you to review your order (1,000 of you have already gotten this). It looks like this:
After your Superbook is passed onto the ground courier, you'll receive a separate email from our logistics provider, Rush Order, which will have your tracking code, which will allow you to track your order.
3. MASS PRODUCTION IN PROGRESS (BUT SLOWER THAN WE'D LIKE)
We mentioned in the last update that mass production should kick into gear post-Chinese New Year. It indeed has gotten started, however we've had to pause for a week or so to diagnose and fix the trackpad issue. That, along with production constraints from our manufacturer mean while mass production has started, the progress is a bit slower than we'd prefer.
For those of you that have experienced the joys of contract manufacturing, you'll know the challenges of trying to push your manufacturer -- sometimes it works, but most times unless you are a major customer, it requires treading very carefully lest you annoy someone who holds your company's lifeline in their hands.
In any case, we currently expect the following timeline:
- Now until Mid-April - Mass production continues until around mid-April
- Mid-April - Shipment of units to warehouse in Hong Kong; Containers to head to our warehouses in the Netherlands and US.
- Late April to Early May - Backers in Asia to start receiving units
- Mid-May - Containers to arrive in warehouses in Netherlands and US, sorted and sent via ground.
- Late May - Backers worldwide to start receiving units
We'll continue to keep you guys posted with the timeline. I realize right now it feels like the timeline keeps shifting (it indeed does as we resolve small issues left and right), but it is a bit of "one step back, two steps forward" and progress is being made, close to the finish line.
1. Please check your orders on Dashboard and help us confirm everything looks correct. We've had some issues pop up on the database side, with some cancellations that were incorrectly displaying. If you see something off, please email email@example.com
2. Any questions or issues? Check out our support or ask our Backer Slack group!
Love, Team Superbook