February Update: Shipped the first mass produced batch!
NOTE: Important info about the Flash Sale in the last section. Please scroll down to see all the details!
Hi backers and supporters,
Hope you’ve had a Happy Valentines Day, Happy Chinese New Year, and just a generally happy set of days.
We’re pretty happy here. You know why?
Because we shipped the first entirely mass produced batch of Superbooks! 😀🎉
It wasn’t easy (as has this entire journey so far). We ran into a few *small* hiccups along the way this past month including:
- One of our distributors got thrown in jail, along with the majority of one critical component
- One of our suppliers shipped 20k of parts that were a variant from what we had ordered, without telling us (more on that below).
- Florian got sick, after working pretty much nonstop this year 😔
I wish I were kidding, but stuff like this happens a lot.
So as it stands, we were able to mass produce 1,000 Superbooks, which are on their way to USA right now! Backer Slack channel user @mschoolbus requested proof and an offering of love if I could prove something shipped. The below email of our Bill of Lading is the best I can do:
With that, I’ll let the team go into an update on manufacturing and timelines, as well as about the Flash Sale coming up next week.
Manufacturing and timeline update
Hey everyone, happy Chinese New Year! As Andrew mentioned, we ran into some small hiccups, but we were able to get our first 1,000 Superbooks mass produced, which means as soon as the factories open up after Chinese New Year, we’ll be able to produce the remainder.
What does this mean on timelines? Here is the update:
- Mid-January - Mass production begins with first batch of hubs, continuing on when the 2nd shipment of USB hubs arrive. First major batches will go to the warehouse in Hong Kong. [STARTED!]
- February 14th - First 1,000 Superbooks make their way to the US, arriving mid-March [STARTED!]
- February 12-23rd - China takes vacation for Chinese New Year [STARTED!]
- February 23rd - Mid March - The remainder of Superbooks will get mass produced and sent to Hong Kong.
- Early-Mid March - Backers in Asia will start receiving their Superbooks via courier
- Mid March - First 1,000 Superbooks arrive in the US. Remaining Superbooks start their ocean freight journey.
- Late March - First 1,000 Superbooks are sorted and sent via Ground for North America Customers
- Mid April - Remainder of Superbooks arrive in North America and Europe warehouses, start getting sorted and shipped via Ground Shipping.
- Late April - Depending on the speed of Ground Shipping, backers in North America and Europe will receive their Superbooks.
Again, since manufacturing happens by product type (model and color), we will start with the 16k premium Superbooks (since they are the majority) and finish with the base Superbooks. This is just to be efficient with manufacturing time. They will all be shipped to the warehouses around the same time, over ocean.
A lot of you have also been asking us if we can select certain ground shippers over others. Since we need to manage shipment in 100 or so countries, we cannot manage that many vendors nor do we get good deals at our size. Our third party logistics provider handles both vendor selection, negotiation, and the shipping process. When the time comes for you to receive your order, you’ll get an email from our third party logistics provider RushOrder confirming your order has shipped.
HDCP and DisplayLink
As you guys know, we use DisplayLink to mirror content from your phone to the Superbook screen. Since the beginning, Android phones have been incompatible sending protected content over USB, which includes things like Netflix and Hulu (UGC like Youtube and Vimeo are fine). We've already developed workarounds for these use cases on Android, some of which we've demoed before.
However, for the small percentage of backers that wanted to have Superbook be a 2nd monitor for their Windows / Mac devices, we had paid for the HDCP license and ordered the HDCP variant of the DisplayLink chip (which also costs extra).
During the production process, one of our team members noticed that the components we received were the non-HDCP variants. We then learned that the vendor, without telling us, stopped making that particular variant and had shipped us the non-HDCP version. Both versions look the same (except for a small letter N) and are interchangeable, except for the ability to transmit protected video content. We were given no warning and have no choice but to continue production with these chips, as getting new ones would take 8 weeks. This means that for the use case of using Superbook as a 2nd monitor for Mac / Windows, currently Superbook won’t be able to show protected content like Netflix or Hulu without additional workarounds. After Superbook delivery, our team will spend some time on a software workaround.
Flash sale! Are you ready?
Hey guys, as we mentioned last time, we’re doing a flash sale for the extra Superbooks we’re making in this first mass production run. We have a limited supply, including a select number of Blue Superbooks. Here are the details:
- Starts: February 21st, 2018 at 9 AM PST
- Ends: March 6th, 2018 at Midnight PST
- Where: www.sentio.com
- For backers, your personal discount code is $25. We will send you your personal discount code by email when the flash sale starts. You'll also be able to find it in your Backer Portal dashboard.
The discount only applies to orders with a Superbook. Once a particular model or color runs out, it’s out for good — at least until we can do our next mass production run. Everything (including any Blue units for sale) will be first come first serve.
Don’t want to miss out? Add this reminder to your calendar to be notified as soon as the Flash Sale starts.
1. We can no longer make changes to orders. Sorry - we finalized everything with our third party logistics provider.
2. We are currently updating timelines in backer portal. It'll get updated soon, sorry for the delay!
3. Any questions or issues? Check out our support or ask our Backer Slack group!
Love, Team Superbook