Mass production, finalizing orders, and some cool stuff from CES
Hi there backers and supporters,
It has been a super busy month. Production has started, and we are in the process of preparing the warehouses for receiving product to be shipped. We have also had a wonderful month with our partners, who have shown of exciting prototypes and demos with our technology at CES. You may have noticed we’ve been a little less active on Slack and in comments, but that is 100% because of heads down focus to get the product out.
This update contains a lot of info, please read it carefully. We have updates on the production and shipping timelines, administrative updates on updating/changing orders, and some news from CES on cool projects and innovations with Sentio.
One more thing: we prioritized a few other things on engineering, and we did not get a chance to send out the 10 Superbooks to backers yet. We will aim to have it by the next major update.
Ok, let’s dive in.
Production and shipping timeline updates
We have started manufacturing! Behind the scenes, we have resolved a lot of smaller nuisances in the last month, including a strange issue with the LG V20 (make sure you upgrade to the latest system update!), some missing connectors (found them!), and a general lack of sleep. The happy news is that we have successfully finished the last sample run of 140 units, and we have started MASS PRODUCTION.
Carlton aside, what this means is that we should be able to get most of the Superbooks produced before Chinese New Year and start shipping. Since manufacturing happens by product type (model and color), we will start with the premium Superbooks (since there are the most of them) and finish with the base Superbooks. They will all get shipped to the warehouses at around the same time, as everything is ocean shipped together.
So what does that mean? Here’s the updated timeline with slightly more refined detail than last time:
- Mid-January - Mass production begins with first batch of hubs, continuing on when the 2nd shipment of USB hubs arrive. First major batches will go to the warehouse in Hong Kong. [STARTED!]
- February 12-23rd - China takes vacation for Chinese New Year
- ~February 23rd - Superbooks start their ocean freight journey
- Mid to Late February - Backers in Asia will start receiving their Superbooks via courier. Some may ship out before Chinese New Year, as Hong Kong ends CNY holidays earlier.
- Late March - Superbooks arrive in North America and Europe warehouses, start getting sorted and shipped via Ground Shipping.
- Some Time in April - Depending on the speed of Ground Shipping, backers in North America and Europe will receive their Superbooks.
Last week for order changes
Since manufacturing has started, we are going to give everyone one more week for order changes, including shipment addresses, cord changes (if you got a Type C device recently…), and cancellation requests. At 6 PM on January 26th, Pacific Standard Time, we will close off to any changes whatsoever as we are required to submit paperwork. Need to make any changes? Go to dashboard.sentio.com, login, and change your order shipment address or cords. Can’t wait anymore for your Superbook and want a cancellation? We will still offer refunds until 6 PM on January 26th, PST. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
One thing we could use your feedback on as backers: we have a few hundred units extra in this first mass production run. If there is enough demand, we would love to open it up to backers and preorder customers before the general public. Let us know what you think about a mini-flash sale just for our current backers and preorderers.
CES: Cool partner collaborations
This year was a little bittersweet for us at CES. As most of the team was in Asia, we didn't exhibit. But we did collaborate with some really cool partners that showed off some really exciting new innovations.
Razer Project Linda - One of the coolest and most talked about products at CES. Truly proud to play a role and get Sentio Desktop front and center.
Lattice Semi's Magnetic Docking - Our friends at Lattice put together an incredibly cool demo, showing off magnetic docking with the Essential phone. The demo uses the magnetic dock on the back of the Essential phone. The magnetic docking experience is so nice - definitely something we want to bring to life.
1. Last week to make order changes, including address changes and order cancellations. To make changes to your order, login to your dashboard. For cancellations, email support at email@example.com.
2. Check out the awesome Sentio Desktop app, which is live in the Play Store. If you have an Android 7.0+ device, give it a try - we'd love your feedback (send to firstname.lastname@example.org).
3. Any questions or issues? Check out our support or ask our Backer Slack group!
Love, Team Superbook