December Update: Manufacturing On Track, Happy Holidays!
Hi Superbook backers and supporters,
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone! Pretty much all good news this time. Will keep this update short, but filled with information.
1. HUBS HAVE ARRIVED
First, our first shipment of 5k USB hubs have arrived. The remainder are expected to arrive on January 20th. A few of you asked about videos of what the USB hub bug looked like - here's a video of a Superbook with a faulty hub:
As you can see, the Superbook’s screen turns off due to the data leak, fairly quickly into the video. Here is a video of the Superbook with the updated working USB hub:
Ah. Much better.
A few of you have asked in the last update and over Slack / email why we couldn’t just send out units to backers who don’t plan on playing video games or use Samsung devices. The reason is because the underlying issue is a data leak problem, which has the potential to manifest in other ways on other devices - it only immediately occurs as an issue on the Samsung devices that we’ve tested. It’s kinda like having internal bleeding, but only feeling pain when you do yoga. You could “solve it” by never doing yoga again, but the better idea is to go see the doctor to fix the internal bleeding — or face dire consequences down the road.
In any case, thank you to everyone for being patient and continue to support us as we resolve the hub issue.
2. REMAINING MANUFACTURING STEPS AND TIMELINE
Second, we have resolved all of our major remaining manufacturing obstacles. Aside from waiting for the 2nd shipment of USB hubs, we should be set to move forward to production.
Here’s the timeline:
- Mid-January - Mass production begins with first batch of hubs, continuing on when the 2nd shipment of USB hubs arrive. First major batches will go to the warehouse in Hong Kong.
- Early February - Our manufacturers come back from Chinese New Year, finishing up any packing / additional assembly necessary.
- Mid February - Superbooks start their ocean freight journey. Backers in Asia will start receiving their Superbooks.
- Mid March - Superbooks arrive in North America and Europe warehouses, start getting sorted and shipped via Ground Shipping.
- April - Depending on the speed of Ground Shipping, backers in North America and Europe will receive their Superbooks.
3. 10 SUPERBOOKS + EARLY REVIEW TIMELINE
We’ve selected our awesome backers to receive the first 10 Superbooks. Those will be shipping out the first week of January, and we hope to get some detailed reviews from them for the next update. In addition, we’ll be sending out a couple devices for early reviews with major tech publications. Expect those around the same time as our next update! (Keep your fingers crossed)
Ok, that’s it for us this month. Have a great new year everyone, and I’ll look forward to giving you an update in January with production progress and reviews!
Cheers, Team Sentio