An interactive LED guitar neck by Colour Cartel -- We want to see NeckFX on stage. Help us change live music forever. Read more
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on May 30, 2012.
About this project
Ok ok ok, total mind blow -- we know! Let's all just take a second and breathe...Ready?
Read on oh-so-curious backer!
Video 1: James Valentine of Maroon 5 freestyling with NeckFX.
NeckFX by Colour Cartel isthe world’s first and only full-fret, light-up guitar neck.
Photo 1: Some dude in a slow exposure shot of NeckFX in action. This dude could be you! No, really.
One excited fan of NeckFx described the product as the offspring of a box of crayons and a guitar. That's a badass baby!
A Unique Start.
Thankfully, Andrew gave birth to this sweet baby (figuratively, of course). After undergoing knee surgery, Andrew (yes, heavily medicated) dreamt up the idea for an interactive light-up guitar neck.
After showing NeckFX to our friends and growing band of followers on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/ColourCartel), we soon had a list of guitarists and bands wanting one too! So now we are here asking the Kickstarter community, "ARE YOU READY TO ROCK WITH NECKFX?". And if you've read this far, you'e probably thinking "I DO" (or you're a friend about to contribute $5, "hi friend!").
How It Works.
The patent-pending NeckFX system seamlessly integrates LED lights into the fretboard of a neck compatible with any bolt-on guitar. As you press any string to play, the space between those frets is illuminated. Guitarists can now independently produce an entire light show, allowing their audience to experience every note.
If you back this project and order NeckFX, you will be receiving rev5 -- which is the finished manufactured version of rev4a/b.
Photo 2: There are a whole lot of scrapped necks in our apartment. These are some working prototypes. You will be receiving the finished manufactured rev5.
The current design is powered by a 9-volt battery, which is recessed into the back of the head -- this allows for about 20 hours of constant use. If you can play for 20 hours straight, let us know and we’ll submit you for Ripley's. We're currently looking into rechargeable options as well (with your help, this might be a feature on rev5).
- Maple Guitar Neck Body: Great feel and craftsmanship, just like you've grown to expect.
- Traditional Headstock: Choose a Stratocaster-stylie headstock or squared headstock. (choose, but choose wisely)
- Polycarb or Acrylic Fretboard: Choose a clear, circuit exposing, polycarbonate or the white, light diffusing, acrylic fretboard. They both feel awesome and look great! (Different strokes for different folks)
- Super Bright LEDs: Each NeckFX is supplied with highest lumen (who knew there was a unit for brightness) rated LEDs on the market.
- Threaded Inserts: Four threaded inserts are fixed into the back of the neck so you can safely and easily bolt NeckFX on and off your guitar without damaging the wood (less than 5 minutes to add onto your favorite guitar).
- Recessed Power Source Casing: A custom designed casing holds the recessed 9-volt battery discreetly on the back of the headstock.
NeckFX will be hand-made in the good ol' US of A.
Photo 3: Some awesome glamour shots of NeckFX.
What're The Rewards?
If you've made it this far, congratulations! Take a look at the great rewards we're offering:
Colour Cartel Guitar Picks:
Colour Cartel Poster (Designed by Liam McMonagle):
Check out some of Liam's work.
Be introduced to music-to-light electronics. A microphone on the board detects the sound and dictates the lights to interact with the music. Complete tutorial on the Colour Cartel Youtube Channel.
This was our original video from rev1. Enjoy that shizzle.
With your help, here’s what we’ll be doing with the $15 large:
▪ $8,000 - Fret Board Mold. A mold will help to improve the product's quality and allow us to manufacture NeckFX on a grand scale.
▪ $3,000 - Materials. All materials have been sourced from top quality vendors and prices have been negotiated.
▪ $1,500 - Luthier* Consultant. For rev5, we’ll be working with a professional luthier to ensure each NeckFX is made and tuned to the highest standards. (*Fancy name for a guy who builds guitars)
▪ $1,000 - Electronics Development. The Colour Cartel team is looking into programmable features in future NeckFX iterations -- we are REALLY excited about this!
▪ $1,500 - Kickstarter and Amazon's Cuts. Big ups to Kickstarter and Amazon for the platform and opportunity.
If you'd prefer pretty pictures rather than all these wordy words. Look at this thing:
Photo 4: A colourful pie chart showing exactly where our Kickstarter funds will be going.
Why are we Kickstarting?
We have done all the necessary homework to turn NeckFX into a ready-for-market product. Kickstarter allows us to obtain the necessary funds to get past those pesky financial roadblocks (mold and materials). Rather than the traditional route of fronting the money and crossing our fingers, with Kickstarter we can talk to you directly, gain feedback, tweak the product, and build exactly what you want.
We are Colour Cartel.
Ian Schaser is an entrepreneur and former drummer of The Arms Akimbo (http://thearmsakimbo.com/). Ian has been run over by a car on two separate occasions with no broken bones. Some say he was the inspiration for the classic M. Night Shyamalan film, Unbreakable.
Andrew Deagon studied Biomechanical Engineering at Stanford and has played guitar with several bands (some of which even played shows outside of the garage). After his visionary dream and the inevitable success of NeckFX, Andrew is currently looking into future, elective surgeries.
Steven Frehn studied Mechanical Engineering at Stanford. Steven has worked at 5 start-up companies and likes his companies young; building great ideas from the ground up.
Liam McMonagle, the 4th member of Colour Cartel, is in charge of the design and branding for NeckFX. Unfortunately, Liam was unavailable during the filming of our Kickstarter video – he was too busy freezing his butt off in Minnesota.
Photo 5: The Colour Cartel team.
A Great Big Thanks.
Thank you immensely for spreading the word and all your support. NeckFX has introduced us to some amazing people. We are passionate about this project and hope you are too!
NeckFX works with standard bolt-on neck guitars. It takes four screws, five minutes and six strings to put NeckFX on -- then you're blasting the neighborhood with audio and visuals.
- (40 days)