What an amazing experience!
I want to thank everyone, once again, for reaching out with your contributions, your well wishes, and your help in spreading the word. Not only are you sending a message of support, but you really inspire me! You believe in my project and in my commitment to painting. I can't thank you enough for sharing all this with me. For my part, I am eager to start working on my new paintings and drawings and share those with you. It's still 2.5 months away, but as those of you who know me can guess, I have already begun to make my packing lists. There are only a few days left to go in this campaign, so if you know someone who might like to connect with me, this is the final stretch, please share my link.
Looks like I'll be doing some printing!
Thanks to all my backers at the $15 woodcut level. Edition printing is a great way to provide a quality, hand-made reward, and I'm looking forward to creating this relief print for you. I have decided that after they are printed, signed and numbered, I will mail the print to you in an envelope in order to protect the artwork.
Thanks to everyone who got me this far along so quickly!
I still have a way to go to meet my budget. Please help to keep the ball rolling by sharing my link with anyone you think will be interested in my project. Thanks!
I decided to put a cap on the number of hand-drawn cards I am offering to 15. This way I can be sure that each one will be created through my natural work flow, and be a true reflection of the focus of my residency. It is VERY important to me that every piece of card-artwork that I send out is work that I am proud of.
Extended periods of solitary painting and quiet reflection are central to my growth both as an artist and as a person.
This year I'll be artist-in-residence here: www.gullkistan.is in September and October. 8 weeks of uninterrupted creative flow, my only task will be to focus on my painting and drawing.
During my residency I'll be painting both plein air and inside the studio. In the studio I'll work from my sketches and allow the drift of memory and time to influence the direction of my painting in unforeseen and exciting ways. The work I create during my residency in Iceland is slated for exhibit in August, 2014.
It is an honor to be chosen for this residency, however none of the costs for transportation, room/board, and materials is included. My fixed costs for room/studio and RT airfare is $2800. At a minimum I will rent a small car for 3 weeks. That brings my total to $3900. These costs do not include gas, art materials, shipping to and from, and food. Add another $1000 for a grand total of $4900.
That's a big investment...with a big return: Everyone who contributes to my project will receive an original piece of artwork created by me during my residency.
To keep you involved in my project, I'll make daily reports from Iceland via my blog. You will be able to follow the ups and downs of the creative process, and watch as my work evolves in response to the Icelandic landscape.
Thanks for getting involved and helping to make this unique opportunity possible!
The artwork I am offering to ALL of my backers will be created as a direct result of your generous support. You own a piece of my residency experience. Here is what you will get:
- Hand printed woodcut postcard that I will make and print in Iceland, inspired by my surroundings. (I paint, but I am also a printmaker, after all...) Curious? You can see examples of my woodcuts on my website:http://www.andreakrupp.com/gallery.html?folio=Graphic%20work&gallery=woodcuts
- A one-of-a-kind card, with a pencil/watercolor or ink sketch inspired by the Icelandic landscape.
- Your choice of a sketch. Matted, framed, around 6x8. Scroll down for some examples of my sketches from other places.
- Your choice of a gouache/watercolor painting. Matted, framed, 8x10 or larger. Choose from among the finished body of work created during my residency, earmarked for exhibition. You can see some more of my exhibited gouache paintings here: http://www.andreakrupp.com/portfolio.html?folio=Watercolor%20and%20Gouache
- Your choice of an acrylic painting. Matted, framed, 8x10 or larger. Choose from among the finished body of work created during my residency, earmarked for exhibition. See more of my recent paintings on my website: http://www.andreakrupp.com/gallery.html?gallery=Brittany+and+Normandy+2012&folio=Recent%20collection
Don't want to click? Here is a small selection of recent work:
Risks and challenges
All of my previous painting trips have been fantastically productive. My two months in Iceland will be dedicated to solitary, focused work, and all my backers will have an ample selection of new work to choose from. For my backers at the top two tiers, that is, work destined for exhibit, if you don't see any new work that you like, you may select a piece from my inventory collections of watercolor/gouache or acrylic paintings. I will make sure every one of my backers is fully satisfied and happy with their decision to participate in this project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)