This project's funding goal was not reached on April 26, 2013.
About this project
This book will help people stick to a purely vegetarian diet while eating out in the USA.
The good news is that there are many vegetarian options compared to say 25 years ago due to a rise in health consciousness and diversity of food choices in American cities. Vegetarian burgers, sandwiches, salads, pizza, pasta, burritos, rice, vegetables, snacks and desserts are widely available.
The bad news is that it is not easy for vegetarians to make an educated decision about what to eat and what to avoid. For example, did you know these facts about common food items?
- Most cheeses have animal rennet or cultures with enzymes that come from animals
- Many yogurts and snacks have Gelatin, a substance that comes from animal fat. It is a primary ingredient in marshmallows.
- Caesar’s Salad has anchovies, a type of fish.
- Chinese or Thai entrees may have oyster sauce or fish oil in their curries. Fried rice dishes may have egg whites mixed in them.
- Mexican or American food may use lard for frying food like beans or potato fries/chips. Lard comes from animal fat.
- Mayonnaise has eggs. Most cakes have eggs and many pasta and breads have eggs as an ingredient.
- Some food may be grilled or heated on same surfaces as meat, which is objectionable for many vegetarians.
Risks and challenges
I am a lifelong vegetarian who has done practical research on the subject. It will take many hours to collect authentic information about ingredients from all major casual dining and restaurant chains in the USA.
The project will be a great service to vegetarians and raise awareness of vegetarian food options in the most common US restaurant chains. It will also act as a lobby for the restaurant chains to increase their availability of purely vegetarian menu options.
I already started the project last year since I am passionate about making this information available to all. The financial and time commitments of research, publishing and marketing have held me back.
If the project is funded, I promise to get it done!. In case of setbacks due to any unplanned life events, the project completion date may get delayed but I will get it done as a commitment to all of you who back this cause.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (60 days)