We have recorded music from the Indian desert at its purest. It is world music, it deserves a world audience. Help us get it out there. Read more
This project was successfully funded on October 29, 2011.
About this project
We at Amarrass Records have been traveling to the Thar desert in Rajasthan (India) to do field recordings of master folk musicians. The video gives you a glimpse of the quality of the musicians, and a compelling reason for recording them now. Leaving it for later might be leaving it too late.
1. In December 2010 and April 2011, we made two trips to Rajasthan to archive and record more than 50 musicians from traditional musician communities of the region, such as the Manganiyars and the Langhas. Recorded in villages, often at the artist’s home, these two-channel analog tape recordings capture Rajasthani folk music at its purest.
2. The first volume of our field recordings project is in production and will be released under the title Mitha Bol (Sweet Verse). The recording, mixing, and mastering of the album adhere to the highest standards. You can listen to some of the songs from the album on our YouTube page, website and on our Facebook page. Here's what the album cover looks like:
3. Our second volume titled Banko Ghodo (Majestic Horse) is in the final stages of mastering. It contains the last recordings of the greatest female Manganiyar singer, Rukma Bai. It also contains, in one volume, music from three generations of musicians keeping a tradition alive.
4. The plan is to release Banko Ghodo at the two day Amarrass Desert Music Festival in New Delhi, India on November 26-27, 2011. The festival will feature artists included on these recordings, along with star representatives of the folk music tradition from Africa (Vieux Farka Toure, Mamadou Diabate).
5. The project is ongoing and we would like to extend it to other areas in India and beyond over the next year. Two important spin-offs are the documentation of cultural history through music; and engagement with the dwindling number of artisans who make instruments for traditional musicians.
Why we need funding:
1. We have self-financed the previous two releases on our label - The Manganiyar Seduction (CD, 2xLP 180gm RTI), Mitha Bol (CD).
2. We have also covered payments to artists to record and travel expenses towards the 3rd album Banko Ghodo. The album has been edited, mixed and mastered at WORT 89.9 FM studios in Madison, Wisconsin and is now ready for production/duplication.
3. At this final stage of completion comes a significant round of expenses. We are already heavily invested in this project. But we cannot see it through without your support.
4. A substantial part of the work has been done. We also feel a sense of urgency as many of the musicians we would want to record and publish may not be around for much longer. Every opportunity we get could be the last. And we would like this music to be heard by appreciative ears.
5. We hope you choose to join us on this. With the funds raised we will cover expenses for album design, studio time for final mastering, CD duplication and distribution. We are setting our funding goal at $2,500, but should we exceed this, and we hope we do, funds will be put towards more promotion of the album and artists, as well as a possible limited vinyl release of the album.
We value your contribution and have some ‘sound’ rewards for your support. Give now, and help us release Banko Ghodo.
Thanks for listening!
on behalf of the Amarrass team Ankur
More information on this project at: www.amarrass.com
Yes! Shipping charges (domestic/international) are included.
Pledge $5 or more
“Instant Karma” – Digital download of one track from the upcoming album Banko GhodoEstimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
High quality digital download of the new album Banko GhodoEstimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or more
CD of the new album, Banko Ghodo, on release date. Plus all the songs in high quality digital format.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
Gets you a fresh-off-the-press CD of Banko Ghodo, and a CD of Mitha Bol, the first volume of our field recordings + digital downloads of both albumsEstimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
11 backers Limited (89 left of 100)
You get CD’s of both volumes of our field recordings (Mitha Bol, Banko Ghodo), and the first album on our label, The Manganiyar Seduction + all three albums as digital downloads. All in a neat reusable, recyclable, hand-made Rajasthani tie-dye fabric bag. Doubles as a CD shopping bag!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
7 backers Limited (43 left of 50)
You get CD’s of both volumes of our field recordings (Mitha Bol, Banko Ghodo), and the first album on our label, The Manganiyar Seduction + you get an audiophile quality 180 gram double LP of The Manganiyar Seduction (pressed at RTI, California). All enclosed in a reusable, recyclable, hand-made Rajasthani tie-dye fabric bag. Will work great for your next LP purchase!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
You receive a ‘Morchang’, the Indian version of the Jews Harp that is played in the recordings OR a set of ‘khartals’, teak/rosewood castanets + any of the above rewards.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
$1,000: You receive two VIP tickets to the Amarrass Desert Music Festival, November 26-27 in New Delhi, India. The festival features Vieux Farka Toure, Mamadou Diabate, Lakha Khan, and some of the artists featured on the recordings. We also host your stay at a 5-star hotel in Delhi for the two nights of the show, breakfast and ground transport included. And you get a chance to meet with the artists backstage. Plus any/all music on the label.Estimated delivery:
- (60 days)