The Founding of Josiah Turn, a novel
The Founding of Josiah Turn, a novel
We need diverse books. 1888 Appalachia. Son of former slaves. Mutant. Intercontinental travel. Another chance to diversify our reading.
We need diverse books. 1888 Appalachia. Son of former slaves. Mutant. Intercontinental travel. Another chance to diversify our reading. Read more
About this project
THE FOUNDING OF JOSIAH TURN is a historical fantasy novel, complete at 89,000 words.
In the late summer of 1888, an unnatural earthquake rocks a mountain deep in Appalachia. The freeze that follows kills every person seventeen-year-old Josiah Turn has ever known. As he journeys into post-Reconstruction America, Josiah knows almost nothing about the world.
His powers are new to him, as are racial tensions and protocols, because the people of his hometown forged a place built on shared secrets and prisoner-of-war bonds. Along his travels, Josiah's unstable powers, fierce loyalty, and quick temper force him to face himself as victim, hero, and villain. When his parents' past catches up to him and the military prepares to take the source of his power, Josiah must choose to be the hero so few want or the villain he's come to expect.
The Founding of Josiah Turn is the first book in an planned series entitled The Xyon Chronicles.
What I've got so far:
- A complete manuscript
- A gorgeous digital cover design by Melissa Stevens
- An awesome brand design for the series, also by Melissa Stevens
- A local book club reading the first beta reader paperback edition of the book this May
- Social media existence
- Software that enables me to compile the manuscript in various formats
- Legal experience
- A relationship with a competitive book printer
But, you say, if the ebook will release November of this year even without this campaign, what will funds be used to do?
When the original goal of $9,000 is met, funds will be used for:
- ISBN and Copyright registration fees
- 1st edition print publication, paperback and hardback
- Professional Editing - I have contacted Chuck Sambuchino about editing this manuscript, though we have no contract at this time. I have factored his fee into the budget for this campaign's original goal, and I have factored his time guidelines into my timeline.
- Book trailer production - I have contacted Red 14 Films about producing a cinematic book trailer, though we have no contract at this time. I have factored the rough estimate and timeline into this campaign's secondary goal.
If this secondary goal is reached, EVERY funder will receive exclusive digital access to the first two chapters of the second book in this series.
Your support will empower this book
to reach a larger audience than I could reach alone,
and your funding will ensure
the most professional production and marketing available to a self-published author.
The more you share this story,
the happier your funding,
because as everybody knows,
Kickstarter is all or nothing!
- All professional names and websites are used with permission.
- Headshot Photograph(s) by Sheradee Hurst Photography
- Xyon and Founding images, copyright 2014 Melissa Stevens. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
- Video by Audrey Dodgen with Amanda Salisbury.
Risks and challenges
Digital production should not be delayed at this point, because the essentials are complete. However, issues arising from a professional edit will be dealt with quickly and thoroughly. Delays in the delivery of digital products will be accompanied by my sincere apologies and a free digital gift. Similarly, delays in the delivery of any physical products will be accompanied by my sincere apologies and a free digital or physical gift.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (15 days)