the make-up tour dates (UK! EUROPE! OZ/NZ! FESTIVALS!) and a house party question.
at long last, the tour dates i cancelled are re-scheduled (plus there are some awesome EXTRA appearances all over the place)!!! hopefully everyone will be able to come to the make-up shows but i DEEPLY apologize in advance if anyone can't. if you need to turn your tickets, please go to the original point of purchase and you’ll be fully refunded.
i talk more about it ALL - the nature of the tour, who's coming (we've got a new DRUMMER), who's opening up for us, the re-birth of THE BRIGADE, and more, more, more - in a brand new blog HERE. it's overflowing with the nitty-gritty if you want it. i'm also doing a bunch of festival dates (glastonbury! newport folk! pridefest in milwaukee!), a show in northampton MA later this week (and then at bard with neil the next day), a free show at wesleyan university on april 13th, and many other one-offs. all of 'em are below, but read the blog if you want to get the WAY-low-down on the details. i didn't want to just cut and paste all that into this backer update.
IN KICKSTARTER-RELATED LAND…
we're working slowly but surely on putting all of the kickstarter house parties together, but all you house-party people: i have a question for you.
i'd love for you to hit me in the backer comments so that i can keep this specific to kickstarter.
ondi timoner is a filmmaker i met at SXSW...and while you might not know her name, you might know her as the chick who made "dig", the 2004 documentary film about the dandy warhols and the brian jonestown massacre. i saw it back in the day and was deeply impressed - i recognized a lot of myself and my band in that film.
she also made an amazing documentary i'm watching right now called "we live in public", about the "darker effects" of social media.
(it's incredible....and disturbing as fuck.)
both of her films won the grand jury prize at the sundance film festival. she is a TOTAL bad-ass with a profound heart and she's smart, smart, smart.
she and i hit it off like houses on fire in the australian outback…
i was talking to her about how i felt one of the TRUE revolutions this kickstarter campaign - an element which was pretty overlooked - was the house-party aspect: the fact that SO many people made facebook pages, bonded and banded together, and trusted each other with huge sums of money to make these parties go. and it's working. it's incredible when you think about it. and now i get to fly around the world and meet all of these people in south africa, israel, norway, and australia...all these people who trusted each other.
…and then, something wonderful and obvious (?) happened: she approached me about documenting as many of our house parties as possible, for a new series on atotaldisruption.com. if she can find the funding, of course (she'll probably try via kickstarter…poetic).
to her, the primary reason for doing this is in hopes that she can capture how i'm trying to leverage technology to connect directly with people - in this case, all of YOU. i do it for a lot of reasons, but the big'un's because i want to bring people together in places where we can feel safe to exchange ideas and emotion…and ondi wants to show how we built up from a mailing list to a message board to social networks and now to a goddamned GLOBAL community. a community where we've learned so much; mostly, how to trust and work together. it makes the world so much better as we're able to not only make it a little bit smaller, but also the way we hope and will it to be.
she got it.
and i trust her. nobody has ever been so close to me & a piano with a camera (the video is HERE if you're curious):
so....while filming this shit seems, on the one hand, like a fabulously fabulous idea...i also see the downside. the house parties that are huge and drunk and ruckus-y probably wouldn't suffer at all (in fact ondi's energy might even make them more fun) but for the parties that are planned to be teeny-weeny and intimate, i can see the idea of a camera changing the vibe. i know at the VERY least, *i* am different when a camera is anywhere near me, and i'm honest about that...i go into a slightly different mode. so while i'd never let ondi bust in on any of the parties without getting express permission from the host: i just kind of wanted to throw the idea out there and get a sense of how you guys feel about it in general.
ondi - and of course me - want you to feel comfortable and have fun…the documentation would be done in hopes to shine a light on this fucking revolution we are in together, but a part of that is and always has been about feeling good. and safe.
i was chatting to one of the seattle house party host-folks over the phone right after ondi fell into my life with these ideas....and i asked her how she felt - she had a "the more-the-merrier" attitude about it.
so…all y'all…please give me input. agreed? exciting? invasive? good? bad? indifferent? hit me. maybe it's history. maybe it's annoying. it's hard for me to say.
back to your regularly scheduled backer update. here are ALLLLL the upcoming dates.
additional info, openers, ticketing info, and all that fun stuff can be found on my SHOWS page and in the BLOG. sorry that we do not have direct links for all of the shows, yet. we will update my tour page as soon as we do. whee!
US FESTIVALS & SOLO ONE-OFF SHOWS
• Fri 5 Apr | Calvin Theater | Northampton, MA - ON SALE NOW
• Sat 6 Apr | Bard College | Hudson, NY - Sosnoff Theater w/ Neil Gaiman - SOLD OUT
• Sat 13 Apr | Wesleyan Humanity Festival - DETAILS HERE
• Thu 2 May | The Fillmore | San Francisco, CA - ON SALE NOW
- VIVA HITCHCOCK! A Tribute to Robyn Hitchcock
• Sun 9 Jun | Pridefest | Milwaukee, WI – ON SALE 4/15
• Mon 10 Jun | PS 122 Event - DETAILS HERE
• Fri 14 Jun | Red Rocks | Morrison, CO – ON SALE NOW
- Opening for Devotchka
• Sun 23 Jun | Firefly Festival | Dover, DE – ON SALE NOW
• Fri 26 Jul | Newport Folk Festival | Newport, RI – ON SALE NOW
EUROPEAN SUMMER SHOWS
• Fri 28 Jun | Glastonbury Festival | Glastonbury, UK – ON SALE NOW
• Tue 2 Jul | Rock For People Festival | Český Brod, Czech Republic – ON SALE NOW
• Thu 4 Jul | PPC | Graz, Austria – ON SALE 4/5
• Fri 5 Jul | Arena Open Air Harvest of Art | Weisen, Austria – ON SALE NOW
• Sun 7 Jul | Tivoli | Utrecht, Holland – ON SALE NOW
• Mon 8 Jul | Rockhal | Luxembourg, Luxembourg – ON SALE NOW
• Tue 9 Jul | La Cigale | Paris, France – ON SALE NOW
• Thu 11 Jul | The Ritz | Manchester, UK – ON SALE 4/5
• Fri 12 Jul | The Roundhouse | London, UK – ON SALE 4/5
• Sat 13 Jul | The Concorde 2 | Brighton, UK – ON SALE 4/5
• Mon 15 Jul | O2 Academy | Bristol, UK – ON SALE 4/5
• Tue 16 Jul | The Institute | Birmingham, UK – ON SALE 4/5
• Wed 17 Jul | The Picture House | Edinburgh, UK – ON SALE 4/5
• Thu 18 Jul | The Academy | Dublin, Ireland – ON SALE 4/5
NEW ZEALAND & AUSTRALIA SHOWS
• Wed 4 Sep | San Fran Bath House | Wellington, NZ – ON SALE NOW
• Fri 6 Sep | Kings Arms | Auckland, NZ – ON SALE NOW
• Sun 8 Sep | Astor Theatre | Perth, AU – ON SALE NOW
• Thu 12 Sep | The Tivoli | Brisbane, AU – ON SALE NOW
• Sat 14 Sep | Enmore Theatre | Sydney, AU – ON SALE NOW
• Fri 20 Sep | Forum Theatre | Melbourne, AU – ON SALE NOW
• Sun 22 Sep | Thebarton Theatre | Adelaide, AU – ON SALE NOW
EUROPEAN FALL SHOWS
• Tue 29 Oct | Gruenspan | Hamburg, Germany – ON SALE TBA
• Thu 31 Oct | Pumpehuset | Copenhagen, Denmark – ON SALE NOW
• Fri 1 Nov | Gloria | Cologne, Germany – ON SALE TBA
• Sat 2 Nov | Botanique/Orangerie | Brussels, Belgium – ON SALE NOW
• Mon 4 Nov | Kesselhaus | Berlin, Germany – ON SALE TBA
• Tue 5 Nov | Proxima | Warsaw, Poland – ON SALE TBA
• Wed 6 Nov | Klub Studio | Krakow, Poland – ON SALE NOW
• Sat 9 Nov | Factory | Milan, Italy – ON SALE TBA
• Sun 10 Nov | A38 Ship | Budapest, Hungary – ON SALE NOW
• Tue 12 Nov | Ampere | Munich, Germany – ON SALE TBA
hope to see you all out there, somewhere,
p.s. those local to my area of new england: enjoy the warming. this is the first day i have switched to an iced drink.