Frequently Asked Questions
Because the entire body is 3D printed, the Altergaze can be customised to be a perfect fit for any smartphone with a display size. The only limitation is the processing power of the smartphone. This obviously depends on what type of games and applications you want to run on it too. If it's just stereo movie watching / 360 degrees film watching, then it pretty much works with any smartphone model on the market.
It will also work great with an iPod Touch 5.Last updated:
We consider that for a truly immersive experience, you should not see the edges of your smartphone’s display. With smartphones smaller than 4" you can see the edges of your display. With an iPhone 4 however (and other Androids with high pixel density), that image still looks as good as with the iPhone 5, just a bit smaller horizontally.Last updated:
We believe that the latency with a powerful smartphone is negligible. Especially with the iPhone 5S that features the new Apple M7 motion co-processor.Last updated:
A possible scenario would follow the following steps:
1. we will sign a contract (we are still deciding on the royalty fees, we are planning on keeping the numbers in the affordable range, something that even a single person with a 3D printer or two can support if they consider making a living out of this).
2. we will supply you with the Altergaze Pandora (so you can offer your clients the possibility to purchase a fully working Altergaze, pre-assembled or not, according to your business plan
3. you will be able to embed the Altergaze Online Customisation Tool on your website and add an 'official Altergaze partner' logo on the main page
4. you will get direct access to the 3D files so you can optimise the 3D printers for the Altergaze
5. the price that you will sell the Altergaze will be decided by you (we will let you know what is the recommended price per unit)Last updated:
No. The Altergaze is in no way an alternative to Oculus and that is not our goal. Even though the optics and image quality on the Altergaze are impressive compared to the Oculus DK1, a mobile device can’t match the processing power of a PC. But for what we lack in power we make up in mobility!Last updated:
1. Even though we cannot give a fair comparison between our product and other mobile devices on the market, we believe that the key difference for the Altergaze is optics: specifically designed to offer a very wide field of view for a small screen display (110 degrees based on our calculations for a 4” display).
2. Our business model / crowd manufacturing. We feature a completely 3D printed product (apart from the lenses and some screws), looking to partner up with 3D printing facilities around the globe to deliver a high quality fast turnaround and very competitively priced product.
3. Customisable design. For this Kickstarter campaign we offer 5 different models in 20 different colours, 2 eyepiece designs and even a completely personalised design. When launched, all of these will increase. It is also why we chose to name our product using ‘Greek Mythology’ terminology (there are over 1000 different names).
4. A handmade product, carefully crafted by one of our partners, and individually tested.Last updated:
The pledges on Kickstarter do not represent the actual market selling price for the Altergaze.
All the money raised from this campaign will help us setup the Altergaze concept as a business, finish the SDK, develop the Online Customization Tools, develop a few free to download games and applications, make more Altergaze models for you to choose from, contact game developers and 3D printing facilities etc.Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question