This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
AltbauZero: Art Venue & Holiday Flat in Berlin F'shain
AltbauZero: Art Venue & Holiday Flat in Berlin F'shain
Creating a versatile venue/flat in Berlin, where tourists can get into contact with local artists, sharing the space during their stay
Creating a versatile venue/flat in Berlin, where tourists can get into contact with local artists, sharing the space during their stay Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
AltbauZero Art Venue & Holiday Flat is a ground floor apartment and art space to be realized in Warschauer Strasse, Berlin.
(Scroll for the full German version - Deutsche Übersetzung unterhalb)
I want to create a multifunctional space in Berlin that can be used both as accommodation for tourists and an adaptable venue for artists.
The concept of AltbauZero will be:
Guests will pay to use the space as accommodation during their stay. This will mostly be on weekends.
Local artists can use the venue for free to further their artistic pursuits and to give classes and workshops, jams, little concerts, art exhibitions when the space is not rented. This will mostly be during the weekdays.
Guests and Artists can also meet and interact. Guests can request to take part in any of the art events or yoga or dance classes happening at the venue. They can contact the local artists to enjoy, for example, a tango class whenever they choose and at the level most suited to them, either as a private class or in a group, with or without external participants. Or, they might wish to take part in a morning yoga class, or an evening contact improvisation jam or to learn shibari, which they could experience with a local rigger and maybe a photographer which will portrait such experience. Art works of local painters and photographers can stay in the venue providing original decoration and opportunity to artists to exhibit and sell their works. Small music jams might take place during the guests stay.
Ideally I would like to realize this project in the unit below my flat, extending what I have been doing already in my flat -Salon Incanto- to a commercial unit ( As it is a ground floor commercial unit, it results in NO FLAT being taken off the Berlin housing market !!!). This will also eliminate neighbors problems and render it easy to manage. (However alternative ground floor locations are possible in the same area.)
To fund this project, Backers have four main options:
1) Donate (every little donation can help :)
2) Buy my photography works (Portfolio and Catalague PDFs can be downloaded here. Prices on kickstarter are discounted ! )
3a) Buy prepaid group activity classes that will take place in one of the spaces: my private flat Salon Incanto or AltbauZero.
3b) Buy a prepaid stay in one of the spaces (my private flat Salon Incanto or AltbauZero)
My private flat Salon Incanto can be seen at
4) Invest and become a shareholder of the project, for an amount proportionate to how much you invest, according to the total cost of the unit. The amount you invest will give you a percentage of the property and an equal percentage of earnings made from the activities we will offer once the place is up and running (details below in the Business Plan paragraph).
The money raised with the crowdfunding will be used to cover the mortgage and other costs required to purchase the space.
Property to purchase : 96sqm on a ground floor in Warschauerstr 78 (estimated value 400-450 thousand Euro) consisting of:
- 1 room facing Warschauer strasse 36qm
- 1 room in the back 38qm
- 1 small room at the end the rear 11.7qm
- 1 bathroom 8.5qm
- 1 small corridor 3qm
Ceilings are approximately 3.64m in all the space. There are two entrances (Blue arrows), one from Warschauer strasse directly on the street and one from the Hallway, before the staircase that goes into the 38qm room. The Space is entirely underneath my own flat. A draft planimetry is attached (yellow points).
Estimated 20-35k Eur
- Remove everything, leaving walls in raw status (plasters and bricks)
- Removing all the false ceiling, and having back the altbau ceiling with stuccos (they are there)
- Creating 2 small bathrooms out of the one big -The first and second room could be joined to create a 74sqm space (idea).
- Removing all the moquette layers and have the original oak parkett fishfloor, as in the rest of the apartments in the house.
- Building Loft beds (Beige areas), with a structure so that can be lifted up (at 2.50m) when not used and taken down when in use (at 1.80m), using pulleys and removable ladders for a total of 12 -14 bed spaces. No posts or pilars will be in the middle of the areas, so that the floor area of each space is entirely usable.
- Changing the window in front with a beautiful wood, triple glass, openable frame for brightness and sounds isolation. -Air condition in front -Decoration/ Style, all the style is East Berliner (similar to my Salon Incanto, more industrial). NO plastic or fake materials !
- Some small furniture will be purchased at flea market, in DDR style, unique pieces for a unique atmosphere (Please see exemplary picture of how I redecorate my Salon Incanto with a 1500 Euros budget)
- Small kitchen corner with dishwasher, washing machine.
1) a simple german company (UG) or a contract among privates will be started according to which each investor will get shares of the property and of the activity corresponding to their capital. The details of the contract will be defined - in case of success of this project - by my lawyer Philip Grahn, (http://gra.hn/) specialized in company law, who will draft a contract after discussion with all the potential investors.
Investors who will not agree with the final contract, in case they find a structure different from what announced here, will have the right to have their money back (subtracted the kickstarter costs).
The structure will be very simple: for example if the place is sold for 430k and the total costs after notary expenses, renovation and obtaining a license is 500k Euros, an investor that participates with 25 thousand Euros (25k) will have 5% (= 25/500) of the shares both of the property and of the dividends of the activity (after deducting the expenses).
2) If the total cash of the investors does not reach the purchasing price, it will be necessary to obtain a mortgage from a german bank for the remaining part. A realistic figure could be – if the total is 500k - to have half of the money in cash (250k) and the remaining 250k from a mortgage.
3) Investors can decide if they also want to take part in the mortgage or not. The quota for the mortgage can not exceed the amount of cash for each investor. So for example, if an investor participates with 25k cash, he may decide to have another 25k of mortgage. This will give him a final 10% of the shares ((25+25)/500 = 10%).
4) Repayment for the mortgage will be deducted every month from the profits, accordingly to the percentages belonging to each shareholder.
5)Shareholders with a quota less than 10%, will be silent shareholders only (meaning no decision-making power). Shareholders with 10% or more will participate in the annual meetings and their decision-making power will be proportional to their quota.
6) I, myself, will work as an manager/art director of the space. This will include looking after the place, organizing it, getting online reservations, looking after the web profiles, attracting artists to participate to the activities and so on. Everything I will be doing, has already been tested successfully in my apartment above – Salon Incanto, both artistically and as a top Airbnb superhost (see links).
For this work I will receive a salary that will be 5% of the income - after expenses - if the purchased unit will be the one below my flat. (yes, only 5% !!!) . If another unit will be purchased, the manager salary will be discussed among the shareholders.
Some realistic figures are:
A realistic gross income is about 5000 euros per month. This comes from my experience with Airbnb, where similar flats capable of hosting 10 people are rented out at about 300-400Euro/night. So it will be about 1000 euro per weekend and additionally the place can be rented for some weekdays, photoshooting, events
Realistic figures of the managements costs (derived from my apartment, and rescaled to the size of the unit) are
- 300 = House costs (heating, hot water, rubbish)
- 50 = Electricity
- 8 = Gas
- 8 = Grundbuch (taxes on the property)
- 18 = Internet (Maybe it could be shared with my flat)
- 280 = House keeper/cleaner (70x4 check ins)
- 1500 = Mortgage repayment (estimated on 300k,with 2% annum interest)
- 2164 = sub-total (5000-2164)*0.05 = 142 manager’s salary.
- Total expenses = 2306.
If the gross earning is 5000 a month, than 5000-2306 = 2694 Euros are left as dividends after the expenses (everyone pays taxes then on that) This 2694 euros will be shared among the shareholders according to their percentages. So an investment of 25k cash, which will result in 5% share, will generate about 134 euro monthly. With a current market increase of about 10-14%, the value of the property will double in about 6-8 years, in that case the 25k capital will double as well. [As a comparison, leaving 25k sitting in a bank with a 2% annual interest (difficult to get it anyway) will only generate 35 euro a month, no increase of the capital and surely not contribute to the survival of artistic life in Berlin !!!].
In den letzten Jahren haben Berliner dramatische Veränderungen in ihrer Stadt erlebt. Touristen und junge Fachkräfte sind in großer Zahl gekommen – angelockt durch bezahlbaren Wohnraum und günstige Lebenshaltungskosten, die hochwertigen Services und die vielfältige künstlerische Szene.
Doch aufgrund des wachsenden Wettbewerbs durch eine immer wohlhabendere Bevölkerung waren viele Verantstaltungsorte, Gallerien und Räume für Kreative gezwungen zu schließen oder den Standort zum Rand der Stadt hin zu wechseln, um Platz für kommerzielle Shopping-Center, Souvenir-Läden, modische Bars und luxuriöse Loft-Wohnungen zu machen.
Touristen finden sich mehr und mehr eingeschlossen in kommerziellen Gebieten wieder, wo ihre Kaufkraft bis auf den letzten Euro ausgenutzt wird. Sie verpassen oft die Chance, die einzigartige Kreativität und das wahre Wesen von Berlin und den Berlinern kennenzulernen, während die Stadt weiterhin Grundeigentum verliert und sich allmählich in eine von der Ökonomie dominierte Stadt entwickelt.
Dieser Wandel erzeugt Spannungen zwischen den Einheimischen, die ihrer Stadt beraubt werden, und den Touristen, die diese unwissentlich vereinnahmen und verändern.
Mein Traum ist es, einen Ort in Friedrichshain, dem Herzen von Berlins Nachtleben, zu gestalten, an dem Touristen mit einheimischen Künstlern in Kontakt kommen können, mit denen sie die Räumlichkeiten während ihres Aufenthaltes teilen.
Ich möchte einen vielseitigen Ort gestalten, der sowohl als Unterkunft für Touristen, als auch als wandlungsfähiger Raum für Künstler genutzt werden kann. Somit können Touristen nicht nur helfen, den künstlerischen Veranstaltungsort durch ihren Aufenthalt in Berlin zu finanzieren, sondern ebenfalls einen echten Einblick in die örtliche Künstler-Szene zu bekommen – direkt in ihrem temporären Zuhause. Den einheimischen Künstlern würde ein solcher Ort erheblich zugutekommen, an dem sie ohne Kosten ihren künstlerischen Beschäftigungen im Herzen Berlins nachgehen können, und der Einheimische und Reisende zusammenbringt.
Dieser Ort wird AltbauZero heißen – es wird eine Parterre-Einheit in einem Altbau genutzt und die Atmosphäre der Original-Nutzung als Wohnraum wird wiederhergestellt. Gleichzeitig, mit seinen großen Fenstern zur Hauptstraße, wird es vorbeigehende Spaziergänger anziehen und willkommen heißen. Die zweisprachige Komposition des Namens symbolisiert auch die Union von Einheimischen und internationalen Reisenden.
Was benötige ich? Investoren, die zum Überleben des künstlerischen Lebens in Berlin beitragen möchten.
Risks and challenges
The challenges are the ones associated with purchasing a unit, renovating it, and asking for the permit to begin activities. Some delays might occur. But if money is supplied, my experience in decorating spaces, and mostly as a airbnb superhost will ensure the place being among the top listed ones in Berlin very quickly.
All the backers who will purchase photographies are 100% guaranteed they will receive them.
All the backers who purchase prepaid weekends at Salon Incanto are 100% guaranteed, as the space already exists and has the permit to be fully rented.
All the backers who purchase prepaid weekends and activities at AltbauZero have to account for the risk that the project might be delayed. Also, if the seller conditions do not meet my requests, I might decide to purchase an equivalent place and run the same project in another location. I will try to stay as close as possible to the target location.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter