About this project
Makebus houses a full assortment of tools, adjustable workspaces, laser cutter, 3D printer, CNC mill, bed, food and maker goods. Requestable storage and tool supply pods make sure your project is ready for success. Contribute now and support Makebus!
How the money will be spent:
- $7,000 bus purchase
- $1,000 build-out
- $500 app development
- $1,500 gas, insurance, registration and driver pay for one month
- Stretch Goal #1 if we reach $20,000 we will outfit the bus with a veggie oil burning engine and new 3D printers.
About the team:
- Sean Auriti is co-founder and president of Alpha One Labs makerspace, celebrating their 5th year this month. In those 5 years, he has always made sure makers in the area have had an alternative place to go and build their projects. There have been many successes that have spawned from Alpha One Labs. And it continues to adapt to maker's needs by now bringing the show on the road with MakeBus!
- Maurice Bey is an inventor and project manager. He has successfully prototyped and received investment for a revolutionary water filtration system. He'll be helping out with the aquaponics setup.
About Alpha One Labs:
Pictures of the bus:
About Each Section:
Inspired by the Alpha One Labs tool wall, the MakeBus will contain a full selection of hand and power tools.
The MakeBus will accommodate 10 workbenches. Each workbench will be equipped with a fold out sturdy durable anti-skid surface with a magnetic tool holder, small part compartments, AC power outlet and back and side roll-off stoppers.
We'll be retrofitting the Alpha One Labs JCUT-6090 into the back of the bus. It will feature an add-on suspension system and vacuum table so we'll be able to make accurate cuts while in motion:
We'll have the Solidoodle 2 that Maurice donated to Alpha One Labs running in full force. We'll get a Makerbot and Form1 printer if we reach a stretch goal of $20,000.
We recently received a Shapeoko 2 from Inventables. It will be going in the MakeBus!
Above the laser cutter in the back of the bus, we'll have crash pods that are rent-able by the hour. If you need to crash for a few hours because it makes more sense instead of being dropped off at home, you'll have a space to do that.
The MakeBus will feature a kitchen and food prep area where we'll feature DipaDumpling dumplings and refreshments. While the bus is parked we'll be selling dumplings out of the side food truck style.
You'll be able to purchase all types of gadgets, gizmos, kits and tools from our maker goods store. Inspired by the maker shop at Alpha One Labs, here is a sample of some items we'll have:
An example of what it will look like:
We're holding a design contest for the website, mobile app, outside and inside layout of the makebus. The best submission will win a cash prize. Here is our first draft, we'd love to see your ideas and if we pick it you'll win! Stay tuned for the design contest link.
Mockup of the mobile app:
Some of the classes we'll offer:
- Rasberry Pi
- 3D Printing & Modeling
- Laser Cutting 101
- Make Your Own Motorized Puppet
- 2D Design + 3d fabrication
- Arduino Camp
Eagle Cad 101
- Intro to SQL / Relational Databases
- Learn iOS programming (Objective C)
Responsive Web Design
- Soldering & Arduino: Build a Heart Matrix
Risks and challenges
Our main risk is the price of the bus. We have one available now for an affordable price. If we can raise the funds in time we'll get it, otherwise we may have to wait a bit longer to find one at the right price.
Also there may be some additional costs if you plan to have a makebus shipped overseas.
We're also hoping to find an affordable body shop that can cut and weld the interior to plans as well as someone to help with the mobile app development.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)