DIRTY STEP UPSTAGE DVD RELEASE is a KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE
"Easily one of the best first-time director features we've ever seen." -Maverick Movie Awards
WHO IS THIS MOVIE FOR?
- Movie/TV/Documentary/Foreign Film Lovers: David Lynch's Twin Peaks, Steven Soderberg's sex, lies and videotape, and Bob Fosse's All That Jazz are a few key influences for style and substance. Throw in some subtitles (it is set in the French Riveria after all) and some Werner Hertzog docstyle, and you've got a unique movie experience for film lovers.
- Music Lovers: A wide variety of musical styles are heard in the film. One of the key characters, Girl In The Red Dress, also sings the title track in the style of Nine Inch Nails meets Madonna. Other artists include Donald Rubenstein (George A. Romero's cult classic Martin), The Reds (Michael Mann's Manhunter), Rowan Robertson (Dio, DC4), and Olivia Newton-John's daughter Chloe Lattanzi, plus many more.
- Dance Lovers: The theme of reality vs. fantasy plays a strong role in this film, resulting in rich 35mm dance sequences that plays throughout the film and climax in the finale. The dance is by the head choreographer of Israel's So You Think You Can Dance, featuring Kourtni Lind (So You Think You Can Dance, season 4), Thomas Puskailer (Ceska Slovenska Superstar), and Arielle Campbell (Hairspray).
- The edgy, dark, experimental: Dirty Step Upstage explores the dark side of human behavior, the exploitation of the vulnerable, and the complexities of jealousy and revenge. It is a commentary on reality TV and the quest for fame, no matter the price. It is told with adult language and violence and is not for the faint of heart.
- Fame curious or hungry: This is a cautionary tale (based on a true story) for young performers that are exploited by powerful producers. Do you know someone who wants to be a big star? This might be a movie for them for a look behind the red, velvet curtain.
HOW WILL THE FUNDING BE USED?
The movie is finished. It played the film festival circuit. It won and was nominated for 18 awards around the world. Now it's time for you to see what all the fuss was about.
The goal will cover the DVD duplication for 1000 DVDs, which have already been ordered. All the other merch is in stock, so once that minimum goal is reached (and the DVDs are received), we will ship out your gift in time for the holiday season. The sooner we hit the goal, the sooner we ship, so spreading the word is good for everyone.
*As a special bonus, if your name is mentioned as a referral we'll include a personalized photo (valid for shipment orders only).
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU (THE BACKER)?
MERCH! and DEALS! Amazing deals on lots of Merch!
Check out the column on the right for the full run down, but here's a quick breakdown of the great rewards that can be yours:
- Online shout outs (Facebook, Twitter, and personal email)
- Music and Movie downloads
- The DVD, of course, with lots of extras
- The official soundtrack and 3-song EP from Girl In The Red Dress
- The double-sided movie poster
- The Girl In The Red Dress T-shirt
- A limited edition latex CD case
- Private Skype chat with me, the filmmaker.
- Private meet the filmmaker dinner in NYC
- Exclusive previews
- AND MORE!
Shipping is included for all US backers. Notes on international shipping are on each reward, but if in doubt write me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll figure it out.
MORE ON THE MOVIE:
Dirty Step Upstage is an independently produced film by me, filmmaker Amber Moelter. The journey started in 2006 when I was invited to the Midem Music Market in Cannes, France and after everything that could go wrong did, I decided to make a movie about it. Coming from a dance and musical theater background, I learned about the filmmaking process every step of the way: from writing, shooting, and editing. This has been a passion project for the last 5 years and I am so happy (and relieved) to finally release it to the public. I also appear in the movie as myself and perform (singing and dancing in a fabulous latex dress) as Girl In The Red Dress.
FULL DISCLOSURE: This is not a date movie. This is a dark, weird, experimental, reality thriller about the dirty things that people can do to each other via betrayal, revenge, and fame. It is not rated, but if it was it would probably have a R rating. Not for the kiddies.
FESTIVALS & QUOTES:
- Illinois International Film Festival 2010 (Official Selection)
- International Film Festival Ireland 2010 (Official Selection)
- Moondance Film Festival 2010 (Semi-finalist)
- Route 66 Film Festival 2010 (Official Selection)
- The Accolade Competition 2010 (Best of Show: Feature Film)
- World Music and Independent Film Festival 2010 (Best Actress, Actor & Soundtrack nominations)
- Amsterdam Film Festival 2010 (Best Drama)
- Mexico International Film Festival 2010 (Silver Palm Award)
- Cannes Independent Film Festival 2010 (Official Selection)
- Maverick Movie Awards 2009 (Best Actress)
- Maverick Movie Awards 2009 (Best Film, Director, Screenplay, & 6 other nominations)
- Chashama Film Festival 2009 (Best Actress)
"Dirty Step Upstage's captivating choreography will mesmerize its viewers." -Gina McClain, AFF Director
"My personal fave is Dirty Step Upstage. Director Amber Moelter keeps the viewer guessing: is it a real documentary or a fictional thriller? The characters are ominous, secretive, and oblivious, driven by obsession, fame, and revenge. The visuals are supplemented by a soundtrack that's memorable and infectious." -Shanece's Compass, Chashama Film Festival Blog
"It was an honor to present a performance and film by an actress/songwriter/first-time director whose talents encompass multiple art forms." -Rick Kariolic, Artistic Director, Chashama Film Festival
Without your support I'd be $2,000 in the hole (plus the amount it took to make the movie in the first place!) and I'd have to find a place for 1,000 DVDs in my apartment. Movies are made to be watched and shared and discussed. I have many other projects on the way and I hope to be able to share them with you, now that we are friends and all.
Thank you again for reading to the bottom of the page. Now, go pick out some aweome rewards over on the right! >>>>>>>>>
I hope you like my strange brew that is "DSU".-Amber (aka Girl In The Red Dress)
PS. Check the UPDATES for more info on how I made the film, including videos, photos, and juicy gossip.
- (20 days)