Are you sick of being embarrassed by your prototypes? Does your 3-year-old offer to help make them better? Or are you a board game shop that spends thousands of hours hand cutting perfect pieces and would like some of your life back? Does your role-playing game need an upgrade? Protogamer™ cards are here to save you.
Check out the review from Chip Theory Games. Maker of some really amazing games like Too Many Bones and Triplock.
Far Off Games
What are Protogamer™ Cards?
Printable double sided paper with perforated cards!
They are tools to help you quickly create and communicate your board game and role-playing game ideas
Protogamer™ Cards are 8.5" x 11" blank sheets of high-quality paper with poker sized cards that are perforated. Quick and easy to pop out.
Prototype out ideas, print them out revision after revision. Get them on the table for play-testing, feedback, make changes, and repeat.
The Protogamer™ Cards pack includes 25 sheets with 6 cards per sheet. Print on the cards with either consumer inkjet or laser printers. Protogamer™ Cards are designed to be printed on both sides either manually or with a duplexer. Once printed, they are designed to be popped out quickly and ready for play-testing your idea. Cards are 2.5 inches x 3.5 inches, standard Poker Card size.
Guideline templates in PDF are available to use with popular editing tools such as Adobe Illustrator. Making it easy to place and line up your designs and content on each card.
Test out iterations of design and game mechanics
Our goal with Protogamer™ products is to help you quickly create quality components during the phase of game creation. Make changes during a play-test. Then print out new cards and have them in play during the same session. Flush out ideas quickly and better communicate your ideas.
Here is an example from our friends over at Angry Cyborg Games featuring the PNP of Outpost 18 game currently on Kickstarter. Printed on the Protogamer™ Game Cards using an HP consumer laser printer. This is right out of the printer without any touchup. You can see a nice sheen from the smooth cover stock paper.
Check us out on Facebook and help spread the word: Protogamer™ Facebook Page
Ideas for Board game designers
- Quickly get all stages of an idea onto cards
- Test out mechanics during play-testing
- Test out designs and content while play-testing
- Make revisions and re-print during play-testing
- Sent out print n play files on Protogamer™ cards to remote play testers and reviewers
Ideas for Role-playing
- Compelling handouts
- Customized monster cards
- Unique magic items
- Incredible weapons or items
- Tools to help track things
- Quick access to stats
- Hit point tracker
- Play your character with just cards
How to use Protogamer™ Cards
1. Design your cards using a guideline template. These templates have the outline of the card, so you know where to place your content.
2. Print out a test using an ordinary sheet of paper to make sure your card designs line up with the Protogamer™ cards.
3. Print out your cards on Protogamer™ Cards. If your printer supports 2 sided (duplex) printing that will make things easier. Many affordable consumer inkjet and laser printers have duplex printing.
4. Pop out the cards and get them on the table for some play-testing and role-playing.
unlocked at the following funding levels
Where are we in the process?
Our die cut has been created and paper stock ready to order. We already have a small batch manufactured ready for the Early Birds. We just need to give the green light to the manufacturer once we are funded. Then the magic happens!
Shipping anywhere in the US is $5 for a single Protogamer™ pack. Shipping for a 5 pack is $7 and 10 pack is $14.
We have added Canada as a shipping option. Shipping a single Protogamer™ pack is $18 USD. Shipping for a 5 pack is $49 USD and 10 pack is $64 USD. Includes Import Tax & Duty.
For our first Kickstarter, we are focusing our efforts in the US (and now Canada). If you are interested outside of the US, please send a message through Kickstarter with what backer level your looking at, Postal Code and we will calculate the cost for shipping and tax/duty fees.
Risks and challenges
We have been testing pre-manufacture samples and have been very happy with the results. In order to minimize any risk, we are working with game designers to ensure our products meet expectations of anyone looking to create a board game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (26 days)