About this project
Since we are rapidly approaching the $400 goal I set for the project, I figured it was time to roll out the stretch goals:
- $500 = 100 glossy 4x6 in. postcards printed with images from the books and four to five will be included with every backer reward $10 and above. This would cover the cost of producing high quality postcards. ✓ REACHED
- $750 = 40-page illustrated books instead of 20-page books. This increased goal covers the cost of printing larger books with the same quality as the 20-page books. ✓ REACHED
- $1100 = Double the number of books produced and available to backers.
ABOUT the CREATOR
My name is Allison Ranieri - I am an illustrator born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. I have lived here for most of my life (I took a short reprieve from late 2009 to the end of 2011 to attend college in another state). It has become a habit for me to draw and/or paint every day from life in my sketchbook, and because of that I've spent a lot of time in coffee shops observing.
In early 2014, I wanted to try something I'd never done before - become a tourist in my own city. I went to the top of a skyscraper downtown, and saw a city where I'd spent most of my life in a whole new way! Several months later and I decided that I need to do that more often - and thus an idea was born.
ABOUT the BOOK
HABITAT is my documentation of becoming a tourist in my own city - seeing familiar sights I've visited many times growing up and in my adult years - but from a new perspective. It's about the city and landmarks, but it's also about seeing the environment around me through a fresh set of eyes. And I want to share it with you!
I will be traveling to different locations around Cincinnati, including:
- The Cincinnati Art Museum
- The Museum Center at Union Terminal
- Eden Park
- Krohn Conservatory
- Findlay Market
- Music Hall and Washington Square Park
- Great American Ballpark
- The Summit Country Day School
- Spring Grove Cemetery
- Mount Storm Park
- Ludlow Avenue in Clifton
- Pullan Avenue in Northside
- The John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge
- other locations to-be-determined by backers
When I get to each location, I will be creating studies, sketches, finished paintings, and notes about the location including history, architectural details and observations. In addition, I will be filming and photographing my process at each location for backers to view and enjoy. All of this work will be compiled into a 20-page book.
ABOUT the REWARDS
Backers who contribute to this campaign will receive rewards such as:
- their name listed in the book
- a hand in choosing additional locations I document in the book
- signed prints of illustrations from the book
- signed, original illustrations and sketches from the book
- and, of course, hard or softcover copies of the book itself
- one very special backer could receive the original sketchbook I drew and painted all my preliminary studies and sketches in for the project
ABOUT the FINANCING
Backers who contribute to this project are helping fund the following:
- cost of travel to the different locations
- cost of parking and/or admission at said locations
- supplies - watercolor pencils, ink, graphite sticks and pencils, paper, etc.
- and the big one, the cost of printing and shipping high quality, professional grade books
Thanks for your time and support! I can't wait to share my city with you!!
Please visit HABITAT's Facebook page for updates, photos, videos and other free content relating to the project!
Risks and challenges
This project is one of low risk. It will most certainly be a fun, artistically challenging adventure and learning experience though, of course.
Something that might delay the shipment of the books would be any kind of quality issues with the printing of the book, for example, if the colors are off in the test dummy. Hopefully, these issues will not arise as I plan to work with a well known, popular book-making company.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)