- 1 two part box made of 128gsm paper stock and 1.5mm cardboard
- 1 glossy rulebook 128gsm paper stock
- 137 cards at 300gsm card stock (as above)
- 50 flask shaped research points from punchboard/cardboard chits
- 1 legendary scientist meeple as the first player marker - (artwork of Marie Curie coming soon!) - unlocked at £7500 as a stretch goal
- Cardboard divider to easily separate decks
- Backers automatically receive a free Print and Play file of Lab Wars in English/French/German/Spanish for pledges £19 and over
- Physical versions of German/French/Spanish also available!
- Simply pledge for the English version of the game first (£19 or more)
- Then add an extra £15 for the base game
- Or £20 for the base game+expansion in your pledge
- These are limited edition to what is ordered through Kickstarter and our website as a pre-order
- You will then receive an extra set of (the cards only of) Lab Wars in French/German or Spanish - simply message us to let us know which language you want!
- Rulebooks will only be sent as PDF files and not with the extra cards
- The extra cards will be packaged alongside your Kickstarter order!
Unique academia themed game based on historical events
Lab Wars is a unique card game where you get to recreate the spirit and fun of working in a lab and learn about historical scientific sabotage in the process!
- Social deduction and city building mechanics
Out-think your competitors by deducing which character they will play each turn and get a bonus for doing so! Play testers repeatedly told us that trying to figure out what characters your competitors would play was the most fun part! We've blended this in neatly with a "city building" mechanic allowing you to build up your lab to ramp up your resource generation each turn in a strategic fashion.
- Rigorously play tested
The game has been rigorously play tested for nearly a year both between the designers privately but also with friends, work colleagues, other board game designers and blind play testers. We've even put their names below so you can ask for yourself!
We've put flavour texts on most of the cards so you know what the cards you play with do in real life. Each pledge also gets you a free educational PDF detailing the experiments and scientific sabotage behind each card. Having scientific backgrounds as the designers we'll make sure that the scientific information behind the pdf is sound, correct and up to date.
The game has been made in a way where you can pick it up and have fun each time you play it. This is owing to the multiple strategies you can employ to win the game.
Undead Viking review!
Courtesy of Board Gaming at Home. Official gameplay video to come soon!
Deluxe (also called Principal Investigator) edition!
- Will NEVER be available for retail purchase
- Limited to 500 copies
- MULTIPLES DISCOUNT: Order a 2nd copy for £35 extra, Order 3 copies and get the 2nd and 3rd for £33 each extra. Just add these to your pledge.
- You have the option of getting it signed by us (and removing the shrink wrap) or not (not getting signed will be the default)
- If you do want it signed by us, please PM us
- Regardless of choice of signature the game will be packaged safely by the shipping company
Legends of science mini expansion pack:
- Final legendary scientists voted by the backers are: Darwin, Franklin, Mendel, Hodgkin and Fay-McBarnette
- Will be shrink-wrapped separately to the base game cards. Above box shown for illustrative purposes. You will get the following:
- 5 extra Legendary character cards. Each player will randomly swap one of their base set non-Professor cards with one legendary character. Each legendary character will give unique bonuses which will be thematic to that character.
- 6x2 Lab item cards. These will directly relate to the 5 legendary characters.
- 10 extra Action cards. These will be tales of scientific sabotage that our backers will suggest in polls throughout the campaign.
- 2 new and different types of Impact cards. Final versions and quantity to be confirmed.
Players start with 2 pipettes to place in their lab area. They are also given 2 research points, and 3 randomly drawn lab item cards to put in their hand. *The gif above incorrectly deals a pipette and a thermal cycler to two players*
Then everyone does each of the following simultaneously:
- Ready your lab items for use
- Take 2 research points and 1 lab item card (skipped for first round)
- Select and reveal characters
- Bonus phase - collect bonuses from characters and lab items in your lab area
- Sabotage phase - players resolve sabotage effects and sabotaging player receives a bonus action card
- Play any action cards (may be played once per round at any point)
Then individually, each player starting with the player who has the genius token:
- Conducts experiments with their lab item cards in their lab area
- Purchases lab item cards from their hand and/or impact cards from the supply area
- Once finished, in a clockwise fashion, the next player has their turn
- Once all players have finished their turns, the genius token is passed to the next player and a new round begins
Try the game for yourself and/or just see the artwork! Just click the banner above.
Download the rulebook by clicking above. The rulebook is currently in an un-proofed state. Graphics designs will be improved after we (hopefully!) get funded. We will also commission professional proof reading before the final version is sent to the manufacturers.
PLEASE read the following carefully. Firstly, there are some countries/regions which are EXCLUDED from shipping and therefore will not be able to receive Lab Wars.
Countries/Regions which are EXCLUDED from shipping entirely are:
- Argentina, Brazil, Brunei, Columbia, El Salvador, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iraq, Malaysia, Peru, Puerto Rico, Syria, Taiwan, UAE, Uruguay. - An alternative approach would be to ship the game to a friend from any other country and ask them to ship it to you.
- Unfortunately due to high shipping prices and logistical problems, we have been advised not to ship to the these countries.
- Any person who has accidentally backed from the above countries will be asked to cancel their pledge.
We are able to send Lab Wars to all other countries...
FREE SHIPPING ON MOST TIERS TO THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES:
- USA, UK, CANADA, GERMANY, FRANCE, BELGIUM, LUXEMBOURG AND SPAIN
- We have provided the matrix below so you can see which pledge level gives certain shipping rates.
- There will be NO CUSTOMS CHARGES for any backer.
Our transparent manufacturing and shipping process:
- The game will be manufactured by Whatz Games.
- It will then be locally shipped from Whatz Games' factory to a warehouse in Shanghai port.
- Shipping will be conducted by Games Quest from then on. The warehouse at Shanghai port will be of the shipping company's choosing.
- The pallets containing the games will then be loaded onto a ship and take 2-3 months to arrive at a port in the UK. At that point the shipping company will conduct all required paperwork and VAT/Import Tax handling.
- Once cleared and paid for (by you the backers through the funding!) the pallets will be delivered to a Surrey based warehouse owned by Games Quest to be fulfilled by the company.
- Games will then be delivered internationally to backers taking 1-4 weeks depending on location.
- Doing the manufacturing, shipment and fulfilment this way meant that we could efficiently subsidise the shipping to your door without compromising on quality.
Risks and challenges
We at Alley Cat Games cannot prevent weather or god-like problems causing unexpected challenges! However, we can promise a few things to you.
Both Caezar and Kuly have day time jobs which require a huge amount of project management skills to run Lab Wars alongside their jobs. Having both done PhDs, (well, Kuly is now doing a second doctorate for good measure) we know what it means to research, conduct and deliver a project. As you will have read above Caezar is a post-doctoral fellow at Cambridge University, while Kuly is a final year Clinical Psychology trainee. Excellence and delivery is required in our jobs and we have transferred these skills when creating Lab Wars.
This is our first Kickstarter project, however, we have spent a HUGE amount of time researching the logistics of delivering the game. This is on top of the weeks of hours worth of play-testing and designing of the game itself.
To ensure maximum benefit to you our backers we wanted to work with excellent partners in the industry who have been tested and internationally renowned. To that end the manufacturing of Lab Wars will be handled by Whatz Games who are experts in game manufacturing and have created 100s of games in the industry including games like King of Tokyo and the Valeria series. We have already agreed the components, upgrade costs and delivery costs with them. They are just waiting for our signature once (we hope!) the project gets funded.
The delivery will be shipped from Whatz Games to our fulfilment company GamesQuest, based in the UK. Again, we chose them for quality over price due to their expertise and knowledge in delivering products worldwide at fair prices. GamesQuest is an hour away physically from our house, so we can check everything thoroughly and potentially add extra items based on the stretch goals.
Rest assured the product will be delivered to you with excellent quality, and we hope more importantly fun!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)