Play as a powerful coven of witches, collect ingredients and add them carefully to your cauldrons - all in the name of bewitching Salem! But watch out, other conniving covens are after the same glory! Back Cauldron Master to help us fund this delightful, light, yet strategic game for 2-4 players, ages 8+ which plays in 15-20 minutes.
To receive the exclusive version of the game with the Magical Mayhem expansion pack including the witch meeple and bonus ingredient cards, simply back at the "Witch tier".
Since we funded within 24 hours we also unlocked the new witch card! This will replace one of the four apprentice cards in the deck and act as the player to receive the tie-break meeple/Favour of Hecate card.
- It's a light game with deceptively strategic gameplay
- Unique gameplay combining deduction, push your luck and set collection all in one!
- Easy enough for children and strategic enough for gamers
- Beautifully illustrated by world renowned gothic artist: IrenHorrors
- A quick game to start or end your gaming nights
- Published by Alley Cat Games who delivered 96% backers' games on schedule for our first game on Kickstarter: Lab Wars.
- Artwork 95% complete and will be submitted to the manufacturer before the campaign ends, if funded
- Quick turnaround - airfreighted for quick turnaround. It is likely we will receive the games in May/June for fulfilment to backers in June/July. We have put August as a definite date backers will receive their games no later by.
Blind Bidding and Social Deduction - Use your witches to blind bid for player order. The lower the number, the more likely you will get to pick first. But, lower numbered witches pick up less valuable and fewer cards than higher numbered witches. So you must play your witches at the right time, for the right resources, while gauging which of the other witches may be sent out. Since used witches are discarded face up - you can figure out which witches are left in each player's coven to deduce what they might play next...
Tie-breaker mechanic - Whoever receives the "Favour of Hecate" card wins in tie-break situations. This therefore requires greater thought given into deducing the witch each player will play.
Set collection - The core mechanic of the game. Collect sets of the same ingredient cards to create even more powerful potions for higher spell points. However, with the limited capacity in each of the Cauldron Cards you must decide where to place ingredient cards carefully, to score maximum points in future rounds.
Push your luck - As above the Cauldron Cards add an element of element of push your luck as you try to maximise your score. It works by allowing players to place ingredient cards in different capacity Cauldrons. Place ingredients in larger cauldrons while waiting too long for the same ingredient type may hinder creating other potions.
Secret objectives - *New addition added after reviewer copies sent* Each player is given a recipe card which gives three extra ways to score secret bonuses. Either they are a combination of different ingredient card types or singular and specific ingredient cards that can be in the cauldron. This also adds an interesting element of deduction to the game since players must tell others they have scored bonus points, but the other players do not know until the end of the game how they scored them!
Want to play a game yourself OR even, with us? Download Cauldron Master for Tabletop simulator today. Rules below. Comment on the kickstarter page, if you want us to show you how to play the game!
Most up to date version of the rules is played by AntLab Games:
Critically: this is the new and final version of the rules.
They also compare why this new version of the rules is better than the previous version!
Note: based on recent playtester feedback and since the reviewer copies were sent out in January we have improved the iconography and simplified the cauldron card mechanics. This is reflected in the new rulebook. We've also introduced secret objective (Recipe) cards making gameplay a lot more interesting and something for newer or younger players to work towards.
Tom Heath: "I REALLY REALLY enjoyed this! So smooth to play. It creates a brilliant [witch selection] system and with more players, I think it gets even better"
As a kickstarter consultant I speak to people across the industry and have heard of the disruption Kickstarter campaigns cause to retailers. So we want to make it as awesome as possible for retailers by offering competitive pricing for brick and mortar stores, but also those online. Back at the £1 tier, send us a message and we'll send you over our retailer packages for all international retailers by pdf.
Some images from early playtesting of the game, to recent playtesting and demoing of the game at conventions!
And a video of our illustrator drawing the Unicorn from the Magical Mayhem expansion pack...
As always with all of our campaigns we are as transparent as can be! Whenever we've encountered problems or hurdles (there were very few but obviously unforeseen delays are inevitable), we've let everyone know. We want to build your trust to believe in us to make games of the highest quality and fun that are delivered on time.
Delivered on time
When we developed Lab Wars our number 1 priority was making a great game that was delivered on time. Being backers ourselves, there's nothing more frustrating than a kickstarter delivered significantly late. We promised February 2017 and 96% of lab wars backers received theirs on time. Although hitches may happen, given that more of the artwork is done this time round compared to lab wars, and having simplified the logistics and shipment process we're confident we can deliver on time for no later than August 2017.
World class manufacturing
We are using Whatz Games, based in China, who produced our last game: Lab Wars, but also was responsible for manufacturing well known games such as King of Tokyo and the Valeria Series. We've had lots of compliments from our previous backers who complimented the quality of the production and material. So we're sticking with Whatz again to make sure Cauldron Master will be just as good!
Overview of manufacturing and fulfilment process
If successfully funded early we will:
- send all the artwork to the manufacturer towards the end of the campaign (end of March)
- We have been told this will be ready for the process to begin early april
- Manufactuing completed the end of April.
- The games will then be airfreighted to UK and pass customs for mid-May.
- We'll then start shipping them out towards the end of May for backers to receive in June. Fulfilment will be handled in-house in the UK as we have a business Royal Mail account which allows us to be very competitive and ship internationally. We did this for 25% of lab wars backers ourselves and went smoothly.
- In the event of delays we have put a precautionary delivery date of August in case of problems or hiccups, however, given that the artwork is 95% complete the process of sending over to the manufacturer and approving the work should be relatively straightforward.
Going to the UK Games Expo 2017?
If as planned we receive the games mid-may and you are going to the UK Games Expo you can collect them from us from the UKGE and receive a refund towards your shipping costs too!
Remember: Since we have a business account with Royal Mail we can ship internationally very competitively.
Risks and challenges
As always, there may be hiccups in the manufacturing and shipment process. We've put a precautionary date of backers receiving their copies of Cauldron Master in August, despite airfreighting the games from China and having 95% of the artwork done. This is our second board game kickstarter project (and third in total) and each time we have delivered on time and on schedule!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)