The Long Haul
We’ve all heard the axioms. The road less traveled… Good things come to those who wait…
However you put it, sometimes the long road is the right one - a more rewarding journey that ends in a better place. That idea has always been central to Allegory. And make/100 is the perfect opportunity to express that in a limited edition. These pieces are designed to be a daily reminder to all of us not to get caught up in the rush of life, to take our time, to take the long haul.
All backers above $50 will receive our slim Focus Wallet made with matching full-grain leather.
Hand-stitched Leather Rollerball
We’ve taken our most popular sleek, minimal rollerball and wrapped it in hand-stitched leather. We’ve named the collection after the stitch pattern we came up with for this work.
- Size: 5 inches total length with cap closed, 4.75 inches without cap, 5.5 inches with cap posted on back. Cap posts to front to close and back to write with a satisfying click of the pressure fit.
- Weight: 1.2 oz capped and .8 oz uncapped.
- Refills: Schneider Topball 850 rollerball refill included, but will also work with most standard 110 mm Euro rollerball refills including the Hi-Tec-C Cavalier micro rollers. To see the huge range of refill options check out our friends at Cult Pens.
- Hand-stitched with sail-grade #69 poly blend thread.
If you’re a minimalist who doesn’t want to miss the important details, pair your limited edition rollerball with a matching pocket journal. The pockets for business cards, or even payment and ID cards, make this journal perfect for the office, a conference, or even an everyday wallet alternative.
- Size: The cover is 5.75 x 3.75 inches. The card pockets on the back fit standard ID, credit card, and business card sized cards.
- Weight: 2.3 oz with notebook.
- Refills: Fits most cardboard/paper covered pocket-sized (5 x 3.5 inch) notebooks including Field Notes pocket notebooks (included) and Moleskine Cahier notebooks.
- Lined with 12 oz. black bull denim.
- Stitched with sail-grade #69 poly blend thread.
If you want it all, but in a sleek package, the mini-portfolio is the perfect companion to your rollerball. Store your phone or other valuables, cables/headphones, your pen, cards & notes, and even your keys in this compact package.
- Size: 8.75 x 6 inches
- Weight: 1 lb. 8 oz. with notebook.
- Refills: Sized for a a Rhodia A5 Webbie (included). The "Webbie" hardcover notebook is a great choice for everyday note taking. Premium 90 g ivory paper is available in ruled, dot grid, or blank pages. We ship with ruled paper.
Six Curated Colorways
All rewards in your package come in your choice of the following leather/thread combinations.
Limited Edition Numbering
The first 100 backers will receive a limited edition number on all items in their package. Other backers can receive the same rewards, but without the limited edition numbering.
Full Grain Kangaroo Leather from Tasmania
The full grain leather used in this project comes from an unexpected source, but we think it’s among the most sustainable choices available. Here's why:
- Due to human intervention, kangaroos have no natural predators and are in danger of destroying their own food sources and habitats due to overpopulation.
- Quality of life is our primary focus when using animal products. Kangaroos live full lives in their natural habitat, similar to the whitetail deer in the United States.
- None of the issues with large-scale animal farming apply such as habitat loss or pollution.
- Some folks even practice an ethical eating regimen called kangatarianism, similar to pescatarians, for all the reasons listed above.
In addition to these ethical concerns, Kangaroo is also an extremely thin, strong, and conforming leather, making it ideal from a design perspective.
Allegory was founded in 2012 with the help of a couple hundred awesome Kickstarter backers. Our mission is to raise the bar for what people expect from products and brands. We believe that products should be made to last, have a story you can be proud of, and have a positive impact on all the people they touch along the way. Here are some comments from past Kickstarter backers:
Cory: Everything looks amazing. You guys do great work and the quality is always incredible.
Jorge Casias: Beautiful product. Good costumer service.
Claudio Lardi: Hi Chad & Co! The two wallets I ordered arrived in Switzerland. Wonderful, great, useful, nice... Thank you!
Christina Paine: Received in UK , love it !! How can we order more please?
DDSKI: WOW. Seriously, just wow. Only way to describe the bag. Awesome work Chad. And Jose and company.
I ordered the mailbag. First - someone posted a comment about labels. They are one the inside. No place else. Next - craftsmanship. If your pens exhibit "the total story", this expands on that. (I've never owned something like this. Really.)
Functionality? It's now my MacBook carrier. Bar none. (And when moving papers (mail?) locally, ditto. Love the thoughtful pockets, Love the "uniqueness" of it. Great job!
The little things. Of course, the Macana design (just like I pictured). Same goes for the stitching. And I have to mention the "story" inside.... :-)
Seriously Chad. You just took Allegory to a whole new level. Great job!
Risks and challenges
Given that all of the rewards are made by hand, and by us, our challenges are very different from most projects. While many products are on Kickstarter so they can meet minimum order quantities from their manufacturer, we are here so that we can purchase equipment and materials we need to make the Long-Haul Collection.
Handcrafted work generally carries the same advantages and disadvantages:
We are able to prototype quickly, and modify our process between small batches to improve quality and meet our deadlines. We can also rely on our craftsmen for solutions to minor problems, as opposed to halting a production line. All this means that rewards will start shipping almost immediately, and shipments will only get bigger each week as we refine our processes.
The biggest disadvantage is that we can't scale for large quantities by simply ordering more from our manufacturer. To manage this, we will create a detailed production plan after the project closes and share it with all backers. We will also keep you informed of progress and timelines. Finally, we work hard to meet any needs for early shipment due to special occasions like birthdays or holiday gifts so keep us posted about those.
Environmental commitmentsVisit our Environmental Resources Center to learn how Kickstarter encourages sustainable practices.
- (35 days)