This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, May 20 2019 2:00 PM UTC +00:00.
18Chesapeake is a beginner game in the 18xx genre. It allows players to gradually build up skills that they can apply to other more complex 18xx games.
Excellent introductory 18xx game and tool for teaching new players 18xx
- Simple core 18xx rules
- 2-6 players (yes, 2-player 18xx!)
- Quick play time (2.5-3.5 hours, a “weeknight” game)
- Eurogame-style components with clear, easy to understand graphic design
- 1 map board with stock market, initial offering, and bank pool (2mm, standard thickness)
- Cards: 6 private companies
- Cards: 72 public company share certificates
- Cards: 31 train cards
- Cards: 1 priority deal card
- Cards: 6 player order cards (numbered 1-6)
- 95 tiles (1.5mm thick cardboard)
- 8 public company charters (card, possible stretch goal to cardboard to match tile thickness)
- 47 wooden tokens and one wooden round marker (with stickers)
- 1 revenue track
- Packet of paper money to use as a bank (or use your own poker chips as many 18xx players do)
- Rule booklet with illustrated examples
- STRETCH GOALS (below)
- US shipping: 1 copy $14, 3 copies $29, 6 copies $48, 12 copies $96
- Worldwide shipping: 1 copy $25, 3 copies $60, 6 copies $90, 12 copies $180
Update April 22: Lonny Orgler has posted his Kickstarter for 1824, a game that helped get me interested in 18xx! Lonny has been a steady supporter of All-Aboard Games since it began. Please support him as well if you are looking for a next step in 18xx.
18Chesapeake is the perfect introduction to 18xx, both for players new to the system and for experienced players alike to teach their friends or for a quick weeknight session.
- Simple rules
- Simple map
- Simple stock chart
- Game advancing mechanism (train exports) that ensures that the game moves along, even if players are timid about advancing them
Since a lot of players would like to learn the 18xx system with one other player, a two-player variant is included. This variant replicates the feel of a multiplayer game. One key difference from the multiplayer game is that all the President's Certificates (the unique stock certificate that the owner holds), is a triple share.
There are over 200 18xx games from publishers big and small that showcase a wide variety of railroad history and game mechanisms. By learning 18Chesapeake, players will learn the basic systems that can be easily applied to the more complex games.
Risks and challenges
This is All-Aboard Games' first Kickstarter project. While we have been hand-making games for many years, this is our first foray into a mass printed full game. We'll be working with the same manufacturing partner (Panda Game Manufacturing) who made the mounted boards that go in all the current All-Aboard Games titles. Also, we will use reputable game distributors for international Kickstarter distribution.
The funding goal is substantial. In order to offer discounted international shipping, it is necessary to fund this project at a high level to justify the costs of shipping to various local distribution points.