Sundance recap! On to Berlin!
Dear Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry supporters,
Happy Lunar New Year! 新年快乐! Fresh from our World Premiere screenings of Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, the team is headed next to the Berlinale for the International Premiere!
At Sundance, the film screened to over 2,300 people in seven screenings and inspired many laughs, tears, two standing ovations, and a Special Jury Prize for Spirit of Defiance!
Kickstarters' Yancey Strickler used our film as a model during his Artist Services presentation at the festival. We proudly talk about our Kickstarter backers everywhere we go, and are so grateful for your support in taking on a project when it was still far away from the bright lights of Sundance.
Alison snaps a photo of the crowd during her acceptance speech, when she asked everyone to stick up their middle finger in solidarity for Ai Weiwei's playful and indomitable stand for freedom of expression!
- Carson Daly featured only six films from Sundance on his late-night show, Last Call with Carson Daly. We were thrilled to be included among them for his Spotlight on Sundance segment!
- David Poland of Movie City News conducted an in-depth interview with director Alison Klayman on DP/30. Watch it here!
- Christianity Today gave Never Sorry a glowing review, writing: "Film seems to be right mix of narrative, hype, & social angst to land itself an Oscar nomination next year."
- Our Outreach campaign drew attention from indieWIRE, who named our fortune cookies including Ai Weiwei's tweets, one of their "favorite examples of Sundance 2012 movie swag!" The NY Times blog also featured a photo of our life-size Ai Weiwei cut-out on Main Street, and OnEarth blog mentioned the film as having the Best Guerrilla Marketing.
- "Art-umentaries Rule!" Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry was also included as part of Sundance Film Festival's biggest trends by The Daily Beast.
None of this would have been possible without your support and dedication!
Never Sorry team
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Receive a digital download of the film when it becomes available.
Pledge $35 or moreYou selected
Receive the DVD edition of the film when it becomes available.
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Receive an official AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY t-shirt and a digital download of the film when it becomes available. Includes international shipping.
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
Receive a digital download of the film, an official AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY t-shirt and 10 snazzy, collectible NEVER SORRY buttons. Pictured at left and includes international shipping.
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
Receive a limited edition DVD set of Ai Weiwei films, which includes AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY, AI WEIWEI: NEW YORK PHOTOGRAPHS and a limited edition run of a disc of NEVER SORRY deleted scenes bundled with an AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY t-shirt and collectible buttons.
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
Receive the tee, buttons, download, the NEVER SORRY DVD and two 8 x10 limited edition photographs of Ai Weiwei (edition of 20) signed by director Alison Klayman. We'll bundle all of these goodies in a chic NEVER SORRY tote bag and you will also get a special 'thank you' in the film's credits because we're very, very grateful.
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
Receive everything at the $500 level and two tickets to a private screening in New York or Los Angeles (transportation and lodging not included).
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
Receive everything at the $1000 level and 2 unique original hand-made porcelain sunflower seeds (packaging by the artist) from Ai Weiwei's Sunflower Seeds (2010), at the Tate Modern.
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (1 left of 4)
Receive everything from the $2500 level, plus the limited edition DVD set of Ai Weiwei films and two fine arts catalogs signed by Ai Weiwei as a thank you for being one of Alison's and Weiwei's biggest fans! You will also be listed in the credits as a member of the Producer's Circle and receive Producer Circle updates, mailings and bonus clips.
- $100 Million Pledged to Independent Film
- This Week in Kickstarter: Where They Are Now
- Projects in the News
- New Projects Are High Tech
- Current Events
- Kickstarter at Sundance 2012: 14 films and counting!
- Ripped From the Headlines: The Year's Top News on Kickstarter
- Where Are They Now?
- Creator Alison Klayman on The Colbert Report
- Creator Q&A: Alison Klayman and Ai Weiwei documentary "Never Sorry"
- (60 days)