Sundance recap! On to Berlin!
Dear Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry supporters,
Happy Lunar New Year! 新年快乐! Fresh from our World Premiere screenings of Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, the team is headed next to the Berlinale for the International Premiere!
At Sundance, the film screened to over 2,300 people in seven screenings and inspired many laughs, tears, two standing ovations, and a Special Jury Prize for Spirit of Defiance!
Kickstarters' Yancey Strickler used our film as a model during his Artist Services presentation at the festival. We proudly talk about our Kickstarter backers everywhere we go, and are so grateful for your support in taking on a project when it was still far away from the bright lights of Sundance.
Alison snaps a photo of the crowd during her acceptance speech, when she asked everyone to stick up their middle finger in solidarity for Ai Weiwei's playful and indomitable stand for freedom of expression!
- Carson Daly featured only six films from Sundance on his late-night show, Last Call with Carson Daly. We were thrilled to be included among them for his Spotlight on Sundance segment!
- David Poland of Movie City News conducted an in-depth interview with director Alison Klayman on DP/30. Watch it here!
- Christianity Today gave Never Sorry a glowing review, writing: "Film seems to be right mix of narrative, hype, & social angst to land itself an Oscar nomination next year."
- Our Outreach campaign drew attention from indieWIRE, who named our fortune cookies including Ai Weiwei's tweets, one of their "favorite examples of Sundance 2012 movie swag!" The NY Times blog also featured a photo of our life-size Ai Weiwei cut-out on Main Street, and OnEarth blog mentioned the film as having the Best Guerrilla Marketing.
- "Art-umentaries Rule!" Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry was also included as part of Sundance Film Festival's biggest trends by The Daily Beast.
None of this would have been possible without your support and dedication!
Never Sorry team