August 2011 Update from Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry
Dear Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry fans,
Thank you for your patience and continued support of the film! So much has happened since the last update. The team is hard at work in post-production, and the film is now anticipating a winter release date. By now, some of you have received the AWWNS t-shirts and pins. If your reward includes a DVD, you will receive your package once we are able to make those DVDs. We are sending the fulfillment rewards in stages, so don't panic if you haven't received yours in the mail yet. As you know, we are a small production doing our best, and we wouldn't have made it this far without your generous contributions.
So... what's new with the film and Weiwei?
- We are thrilled to announce that Alison Klayman was recently selected as one of Filmmaker Magazine's 25 New Faces of Independent Film! According to Editor-in-Chief Scott Macaulay, "Each person on this list is a story and the sum total of all these tales speaks to the ways these artists are reinventing the definition of what it means to be an independent filmmaker." Congratulations, Alison!
- Since opening up a Google+ account in late July, Weiwei has been slowly dipping his toes back into the social media waters. He has not lost his sense of humor describing himself as a "suspected pornography enthusiast and tax evader" on his Google+ profile and playfully tweeting: "Ten dumplings for lunch, regained three kilos!" to his followers. But he recently got serious and has been sharing more about his experience in detainment as well as urging support for fellow imprisoned activists, Wang Lihong and Ran Yunfei. In fact, only one day after his impassioned tweets, Chinese authorities released Ran Yunfei. For more updates, you can follow Weiwei on Twitter @aiww.
- The Never Sorry team is currently looking for a part-time Post-Production/Outreach intern in NYC from September through January. This position is ideal for someone who has worked in film administration and social media campaigns, is tech-savvy, and has a passion for social issue documentary. Candidate must be a self-starter, team player, and able to work three days a week from our downtown NYC office. If interested, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
As always, we can't thank you enough for your dedication to the film, and if you haven't already, please follow us on Twitter at @AWWNeverSorry and Facebook.
Alison & the AWWNS team
P.S. Thanks to our Twitter fans for sending in photos of their AWWNS swag! Keep them coming! Again, our deepest gratitude.
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Receive a digital download of the film when it becomes available.
Pledge $35 or moreYou selected
Receive the DVD edition of the film when it becomes available.
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
Receive an official AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY t-shirt and a digital download of the film when it becomes available. Includes international shipping.
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
Receive a digital download of the film, an official AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY t-shirt and 10 snazzy, collectible NEVER SORRY buttons. Pictured at left and includes international shipping.
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
Receive a limited edition DVD set of Ai Weiwei films, which includes AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY, AI WEIWEI: NEW YORK PHOTOGRAPHS and a limited edition run of a disc of NEVER SORRY deleted scenes bundled with an AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY t-shirt and collectible buttons.
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
Receive the tee, buttons, download, the NEVER SORRY DVD and two 8 x10 limited edition photographs of Ai Weiwei (edition of 20) signed by director Alison Klayman. We'll bundle all of these goodies in a chic NEVER SORRY tote bag and you will also get a special 'thank you' in the film's credits because we're very, very grateful.
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
Receive everything at the $500 level and two tickets to a private screening in New York or Los Angeles (transportation and lodging not included).
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
Receive everything at the $1000 level and 2 unique original hand-made porcelain sunflower seeds (packaging by the artist) from Ai Weiwei's Sunflower Seeds (2010), at the Tate Modern.
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (1 left of 4)
Receive everything from the $2500 level, plus the limited edition DVD set of Ai Weiwei films and two fine arts catalogs signed by Ai Weiwei as a thank you for being one of Alison's and Weiwei's biggest fans! You will also be listed in the credits as a member of the Producer's Circle and receive Producer Circle updates, mailings and bonus clips.
- $100 Million Pledged to Independent Film
- This Week in Kickstarter: Where They Are Now
- Projects in the News
- New Projects Are High Tech
- Current Events
- Kickstarter at Sundance 2012: 14 films and counting!
- Ripped From the Headlines: The Year's Top News on Kickstarter
- Where Are They Now?
- Creator Alison Klayman on The Colbert Report
- Creator Q&A: Alison Klayman and Ai Weiwei documentary "Never Sorry"
- (60 days)