What is Alice Knows Karate? Alice Knows Karate is the name of my new solo music project. I got the name from watching the Syfy miniseries back in 2009.
Hi, I’m Keiko Takamura. You may know me from San Francisco’s premier industrial-chiptune band, Crashfaster. You may have also caught me live streaming in Second Life, or crying on MTV’s True Life.
It’s been almost 8 years since I’ve put out any new music of my own. I’ve been keeping busy in that time, though. I’ve been in bands, DJed, recorded music, played shows all over SF & the bay area, played conventions, went on tour up in the north east and down through the southwest.
I’m currently in Crashfaster, the aforementioned chiptune band, which has been a really good fit, since all our fans are giant nerds and I love video games. As I mentioned, video games and in particular, games based on fairy tales are the main inspiration for this new EP I’m calling “Fablewave”.
Fablewave EP is a collection of 3 songs:
- Track 1 is based on a game called “The Path”, by Tale of Tales.
- Track 2 is based on American McGee’s Alice, and
- Track 3 is based on Disney’s The Little Mermaid.
I’ve been working with a team of really talented artists and producers for the last 3 years trying to get this made. We got bansheebeat, helloghxst, and Unwoman all up in this. It’s sounding really good, and it’s just the beginning.
I’ve also started on an animated music video for the mermaid song. I know you’re gonna wanna see this. The animatic is done, the character design is done, the team is ready to go. We just need funding.
So here’s the plan.
- (Edit: FUNDED!) Goal 1 ($2,000): track 1 will be released.
- (Edit: FUNDED!) Goal 2 ($4,000): unlocks track 2.
- (Edit: FUNDED!) Goal 3 ($6,000): unlocks the 3rd and final track.
- Goal 4 ($10,000): will unlock the animated music video.
If we can reach all 4 goals, the EP and music video will be released in 2018. I’m aiming for June 30th. That’s my birthday, which I share with a certain Sailor Moon. Stretch goals past the first 4 will be announced later in the campaign, and will include things like more music videos, more songs, and remixes by some awesome folks.
Cool. Great. What’s in it for you? I gotcha.
All backers will receive a digital copy of the EP that comes with liner notes complete with lyrics, notes from me, and cocktail recipes, among other fun stuff. Yes, cocktail recipes.
There’s also physical merch. Stickers, t-shirts, and other goodies that will only be available via this here Kickstarter campaign.
Funding me is a virtuous cycle! <3
Keep in mind you will be funding an independent artist who is in turn hiring other independent artists. So, you’ll have every reason to feel good about your dollars contributing to sustaining the arts outside of the major labels and studios. 16-year-old me would be proud.
Go ahead, @ me.
I invite you all to take a peek at my Kickstarter page, check out the samples of this EP, and feel free to get at me with any questions you may have. I’m all over the social medias as Keiko Takamura and Alice Knows Karate. Thanks for listening, thanks to my fans for following along this far out on my journey, and thanks to any new fans who are as excited as I am to see this finally happen. Go check out the rewards!
Risks and challenges
- First Kickstarter, please be gentle
- The goal is set super-low at $2,000 to make sure *something* gets funded. The physical CD reward will only be unlocked after the campaign has reached $6,000.
- If any delays should happen, we’ll be sure to keep backers updated.
- If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at [aliceknowskarate at gmail dot com].Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)