STARTUP DIARIES is a web series about two dudes trying to start a company. The series was created and written by Alex J. Mann. All episodes were shot and edited by David Monk and feature Michael Ziman. People have said the show is like "The Office" meets "The Social Network." We'll take it!
The series features performers from the New York City improv, standup, and sketch comedy community. Individually, (and on a few instances, together) they have performed at places like the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, The PIT, and the Comedy Cellar. The current cast includes:
- Alex J. Mann
- Michael Ziman
- Adam Bloom
- Will Garre
- Tomas Delgado
Our original goal with the series was the explore the underbelly of startup and technology culture: the buzz words, the outrageous personalities, the money being funneled into what often turns out to be absolute nonsense. These ideas need to be brought to the public's eye; more importantly, these ideas need to made fun of.
However, after a few episodes, the series quickly turned into much more and attempted to answer such loaded questions as:
- What happens when a serious businessman and potential psychopath take starting a company into their own hands, instead of doing what TechCrunch and HackerNews says you should do?
- What happens when you hire your first customer instead of actually finding a first customer?
- What happens when your first customer is actually a Shakespearean actor?
- What happens when you break into your potential investor's office building for a "surprise" meeting?
- What happens when you try to create your own IPO?
- What is Google+, anyway?
We have the first half of season one filmed and edited. We did this with very little (i.e. no) budget. Our production crew was one person. What we need to complete a vastly improved second half of season one is $1,500. The money will go towards:
- Equipment rental
- Boom operator
- Transportation (crew and equipment)
- Location fees
- Water and snacks for crew
Thanks for your support.
- (30 days)