SpaceCats in Space! (Canceled)
SpaceCats in Space! (Canceled)
An animated twin-stick shooter featuring furry felines flying starfighters. Lead the space cat navy against a tyrannical canine empire!
An animated twin-stick shooter featuring furry felines flying starfighters. Lead the space cat navy against a tyrannical canine empire! Read more
About this project
- "That was brilliant!" - Jim Sterling, Greenlight Goodstuff
- "SpaceCats in Space! is that. Damn. Good." - Slickster Magazine
- "A fun throwback to classic arcade games" - Game Refraction
- "All About Elaborate Dogfights" - SilconEra
Space combat with claws!
An advanced twin-stick shooter space epic, SpaceCats In Space! Follows the kingdom of Meowfyre’s rebellion against the dogs of the Grolich Empire. Bomber strikes, wingman assistance and RPG-like leveling are all tools at your disposal in the battle to stop Oberluft Kommandant Arnuld Von Schloss and the vast Grolich war machine.
Featuring animated cutscenes and full voiceover to immerse you in a World War II inspired space battle of cats versus dogs!
SpaceCats in Space! strives to be one of the best twin-stick shooters Unity developers have to offer. The game will release first on Steam for PC and OSX, and then a few months later for XBOX and PS4 as a downloadable title. Vote for us on Steam Greenlight!
Call in strategic bomber strikes to obliterate your enemies. Rely on your trusty wingman to watch your back. You are the Crown Princess, with the full might of the Royal Navy at your disposal. Don’t just fight- LEAD.
Equip countless awesome weapon, shield, and ship upgrades to put an end to the massive Grolich war machine once and for all.
Choose your destiny in a visual narrative story mode, where every decision affects your ship, enemies… and even the battlefield!
Battle the canines of Grolich solo or with a friend in local two-player co-op -- and lead Meowfyre to victory!
Explore a hand-drawn universe straight out of Saturday morning cartoons while soaking up stellar voice acting and a rockin’ soundtrack.
Brave storms of enemy fire. Angel's CAT-1 Cougar Heavy Gunship trades speed and maneuverability for heavy shields, heavy armor and heavy weapons. Why dodge when you can shoot?
Pilot multiple ships, each using a different control scheme and weapons! Fly the sturdy CAT1-Heavy Fighter, the swift Bobtail-K21 Interceptor, or the destructive Tabby "FAT-CAT" Strategic Bomber.
Fight against massive, screen filling bosses like the colossal Hundkopfpanzer -- a laser breathing death machine, that also serves as a starcraft carrier!
For the past ten years, the Grolich Empire has been invading, occupying and annexing nearby star systems. They have subjugated trillions of innocents, prey and predator alike, under their tyrannical regime.
The cunning canine Oberluft Kommandant Von Schloss and his legion of SpaceDogs have led a surprise attack on a K9’s favored enemy: the cats of the Kingdom of Meowfyre.
Now, Crown Princess Angelina Contessa III must lead the Cougar Squadron and the rest of the SpaceCats against the dastardly dogs of the Grolich Empire. Defang those dictators once and for all!
Crown Princess Angelina "Angel" Contessa III
The leader of the Cougar Squadron -- tough as nails, also happens to be a princess. Eats bullets for breakfast, enemy fighter pilots for lunch, and martinis for dinner. Can she secure her throne from the pilot’s seat?
Oberluft Kommandant Arnuld Von Schloss
Oberluft Kommandant Arnuld Von Schloss is the leader of the Hundkaiser’s 1st Expeditionary Legion and a tactical genius. The very picture of a cultured canine commandant, Von Schloss holds a Masters in Feline Studies from the University of Dusselwoof.
The music of SpaceCats in Space! is a smash hit of World War II era drum corps and Saturday morning cartoon power-rock.
Check out our Composer ALEX BRITTEN'S website for more music!
SpaceCats In Space! began one late evening on April 20th, 2015 when Alex was looking at cat pictures. He found this picture, and wanted to make a game about it.
The concept demo was built in 2 weeks with Unity. Alex took Space Cats In Space! to its premier debut at Playcrafting NYC. After rousing applause, he met composer Alex Britten.
“Meeting Alex Lau was an eye-opening experience. His presentation of the game was as bombastic as playing it, with costume changes, in-flight character vocal sparring - all done by him. I couldn’t sleep a wink that night, so I got up around 3AM and wrote/recorded the theme. I sent it to him at 7AM, and we began building from there.” -Alex Britten
SpaceCats In Space! began recruiting on Reddit. Lead artist Kim Van Deun came aboard first, her concept art leading the charge. Voice actors Callyn Dorval and Kai Kennedy soon followed, as well as Animation Director Rachel Lewis.
The project really heated up in 2016. After successfully showing at MAGFEST, Rachel decided to move from her native Sydney Australia to New York City to work on the game!
Thanks to the help of many contributors, friends and family, the current version of the demo came together.
- Thank You Email. Every supporter gets a thank you email!
- Squadron Badge. Each tier receives a digital squadron badge to show their support! The badge is a digital icon you can use on social media or other applications.
- Game. A Steam key or digital download for XBox or PlayStation.
- Soundtrack. A digital download of our full soundtrack.
- Artbook . A full color PDF of our Concept Art Book.
- Reddit Flair! You'll be granted special flair on our subreddit at r/RoboticPotato to show your devotion to the Space Cats cause!
- T-Shirt. A SpaceCats or SpaceDogs T-Shirt
- Artbook. A full color, premium paperback featuring the Concept Art for SpaceCats In Space!
- Character Art & Animated Icon. An 8"x11" Character Reference Sheet, done in a similar style to our concept art. Also, an animated icon suitable for profile photos on services like Facebook and Twitter
- Character In The Game. We'll use your character and place it in the game as an enemy or a space cat pilot!
- Create a Corporation: Send us a logo or branding images and we'll place them on buildings and signs. We'll even mention your brand in the dialog!
- Design an Enemy. You'll design an enemy, including artwork and gameplay functionality. Join us on Skype and participate in the development of the game! Your portrait (as a space dog) will be added to the mini-boss incarnation of that enemy!
- Design a Boss. Design a boss with multiple attack animations, that fills the screen, and is piloted by a fully voiced character!
- Dinner with the Team. Have dinner with the team in NYC! Travel and lodging not included; reservations must be made 1 month in advance.
RESTRICTIONS: Backer must own the complete copyrights to all submitted characters, logos and brands. Backers will be first given a test sketch. Upon approval of the test sketch, no refunds will be provided. Maximum of 3 test sketches, and 1 final revision. Backers grant Robotic Potato LLC all licenses and copyrights necessary to use backer's characters, likeness, designs, or logos for the purpose of inclusion in the Space Cats In Space! game and any related merchandise, sequels, advertisements or products in perpetuity. Proposals for custom characters, enemies and bosses are subject to creative approval. Upon pledging to an exclusive tier, backer will be approached by a representative of Robotic Potato LLC to review all terms and conditions.
Our demo might look polished; however we have only done one-sixth of the work required to make the whole game. We have spent all of our financial resources developing the technology, getting the team together, and building a fan-base.
Now we need your help so we can do a full content push. We’ll make more levels, weapons, enemies, bosses and cut-scenes to turn SpaceCats In Space! into a fully featured video game experience.
There aren’t any other games out there like SpaceCats in Space! We have a unique theme, gameplay mechanics; Kickstarter is the perfect place to find the funding we need.
The Robotic Potato Games team is composed of professionals who have over 30+ years experience in software, business and science. All of us are huge fans of games. Our top directors, Alex, Rachel and Kim have all sacrificed $100k+ jobs in lucrative industries, and moved from one continent to another in order to make SpaceCats in Space! We are dedicated completely to the project. Possibly a little TOO dedicated.
- Nick Bremer, Video Editor
- Jeff Vandemeent, Level Designer
- Sean Thurlow, Environmental Artist
- Mila Pokorny, Assistant Character Artist
- Rya Kaufman, Web Designer
- Aaron Potts, Writer
- Tree Anastasio, Writer
- Luciano De Valle, Videographer
- Jon Epstein, Social Media & PR
- Carlo Thomas, Social Media & PR
- Joey Clift, Script Writer
- Aaron Louie, Project Management
- Raymond Ye, Intern
- Oscar Reyes, Intern
Our budget is for making SpaceCats in Space! a complete game -- specifically that means:
Improved In-Game UI, VFX and Animation
We plan on heavily adding additional animations to our ships, enemies and environments as well as upgrading our VFX. The gameplay graphics and UI shown in the trailers are still in pre-alpha state.
We're going to add things like
- An improved and animated UI
- Banking animations
- Ejection/EVAs for downed pilots and death animations
- More background animations, including rescue and civilian ships
- Environmental animations, like holographic signs and active buildings
- Warp/Fly In animations for spawned enemies.
- Revised bullet and shield effects
- Muzzle flashes, ammunition loading/unloading, bullet drops, and impacts
- Cannon swivel, recoil and machinery movements
- A technical artist who works directly in Unity to improve the look and feel of the gameplay.
We are going to stick with 2D and our existing ships and enemy designs. In the completed game they're going to have more 'life', but the art will still retain the same style.
SpaceCats in Space! is ultimately a labor of love. Most of our budget goes into paying animators, programmer, audio engineers, and musicians who make the game great. We devote a small amount to the friends and family that assist us with getting the word out and making sure we keep our eyes on the ball. And of course, we must always pay the middleman and the taxman.
Risks and challenges
Our primary risk is our goal. We understand it’s a very high ask for a 2D game -- but there have been very few other games, AAA or otherwise, with this amount of 2D animation, music and audio talent.
SpaceCats in Space! is our first major commercial title. We are new to the game industry, but we have spent a combined 30+ years delivering solid results in sectors like advertising, business, and science. While most would see this as a liability, we come from industries where contracts and promises mean something. That’s not something “veterans” in the game industry have been well known for.
The leaders of Robotic Potato have all held management positions and we are familiar with keeping people's money, lives even, safe. We have the financial acumen and business knowledge to manage our investments wisely.
Be assured, we will marshal our every resource and follow best practices in order to deliver the best game about SpaceCats shooting SpaceDogs you have ever seen.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (39 days)