This project's funding goal was not reached on October 14, 2012.
About this project
My name is Alejandro Fischer. I am a South American (Colombian) artist living in Boston since 1990. I come from a family of artists (last time I checked, there were approximately 22 professional artists). I studied at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, graduated in 1995, and have been working as a painter ever since. I currently work in Somerville, MA and now with your help I am ready to tackle this new conceptual drawing project.
Check out my website http://www.alejandrofischer.com/ to see my work.
I will draw high-speed charcoal portraits of you and anybody else who decides to participate. These drawings should take approximately 2 minutes each. My intention is to draw hundreds of 12”x12” charcoal portraits and then put them together to create a very large and expressive artwork.
My hope is to use the power of online communities to create a collaborative artwork of enormous proportions. You get rewards and I achieve my goal! Please consider participating.
The last step will be to exhibit the final large-scale project ASAP (If you are a great gallery, fell free to contact me).
What’s Behind the Idea of Drawing so Fast?
When I draw as fast as I can, I leave little or no time for conscious thoughts, and this allows me to achieve stronger-than-usual psychological expressions.
Drawing really fast allows me to put down on paper things that I would otherwise not see. The goal is NOT to create a realistic portrait of the sitter, but rather to extract the life and spirit of the model (you) and capture a specific mood in time. The result will be a physiognomic rendering of each backer at a fleeting moment in time.
After studying sculptures of Franz Messerschmidt I became interested in the psychiatry behind faces. I find it fascinating to allow the subconscious mind to express itself through the most amazing and simple drawing method, charcoal.
What I would like now is to do this on a large scale with hundreds of models. Please join me!
How will I Create Your Portrait?
- Option #1: (If you live in Massachusetts) come pose in my studio for 15 minutes or ½ hour and I will draw a few high-speed portraits of you. If you live too far and you can’t come to my studio (in Somerville, MA), or if you simply don’t feel like coming here, choose option #2.
- Option #2: Once the project is funded, email me a digital picture of your face and shoulders. Any picture will do as long as the light hits your face from one side (as if you were standing next to a window or lamp where half of your face is lit and half darker). Make sure it is not too dark (I don’t know you and I need to see how you look). Below is an example of the kind of pictures I need/want:
Tips on taking your pic. for the project: Be creative. Make a grimace, be serious, intense, twist your neck, laugh, cry, make a horror face, anything you feel like doing is okay, just try not to send me a typical posing smile. (I love smiles but NOT as part of my artwork.
Once I have you (or your picture) here in my studio, I will then proceed to create a few high-speed sketches of you and choose one to be part of the final artwork. THAT´S IT!!
How much money do I need?
I need to pay for:
- Professional printing of posters for at least 150 or 200 backers I anticipate will participate. This number can potentially increase. I set the cost of printing posters at around $1000. The work will be done by the amazing RepeatPress at repeatpress.wordpress.com
- I need to buy art supplies for a few oil paintings =$200. I need to buy art supplies such as paper and charcoal for the drawings. If a lot more people participate this will be increase quite a bit. I am betting on approximately 150 low contribution backers and 50 high-end backers =$800. If more people want this, the donations will cover the additional expenses.
- I need to pay myself for my time. Completing this project and thousands of drawings might take me 2 months to complete working full time on the project =$4,000. I also need to complete in another 3 to 6 months all the rewards, drawings, paintings, etc. Any high-end rewards on top of what I need, will cover the costs of the added time for doing the required artwork.
- Lastly, I need to cover all costs for conceiving the project, drafting this proposal, researching the costs of production at the art store, buying supplies, emailing backers, updating project, buying shipping supplies, shipping artworks and posters, and last but not least, marketing my project =$1000
A total tentative amount I need for the project is $8,000.
PLEASE, CHOSE YOUR REWARD(S) & BACK ME UP!
Thank you, Gracias, Danke, Merci, Xie xie, Grazie, Arigato, Shukran, Komawoyo, Dhannvaad, Tak, Toda, Obrigado
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)