The Maze is a flexible adventure that can be easily adapted to OSRs (games), Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder and any d20 system as well. The purpose of the adventure is twofold: to enjoy “breaking the door” one-shot scenes, while at the same time being able to follow up them with an overarching plot that offers you a myriad of possibilities for fun. The essence of the game is to have characters die easily, so only the most lucky, clever, and strongest ones can survive in the openly darwinist environment of The Maze, and discover its mysteries. Let your characters perform epic deeds, and seek an awesome and legendary last stand. In addition, the adventure is a challenge for the Maze Master, or the MM, because they have to roll everything randomly during the session. In an ever changing Maze, the adventure leans heavily on improvisation or real careful planning for both players and Maze Masters.
Please note that the money is in Mexican pesos, at current rate each USD is around 19 pesos. So the full PDF is 10$ USD and the PoD is around 18$ USD.
Read a sneak peek on this update: Sneak peek
Backer created content.
Backer created content will be developed with the help of the designers of the game. All the submissions will get a set of style guidelines and must be delivered on July, failure to meet the deadline will result in your content not being included and no refund will be given.
- Character: It must to be a fantasy character. You may give it two names, based on past exploits and its personality traits. The team will work with you to include it in one of the Maze stories.
- Antagonist: can be a character gone rogue, or a monster. You will create its form, any special abilities and background. The design team will work with you to balance its challenge difficulty for the Raiders.
- Unique chamber: You will only give us its general characteristics, any traps or monsters present. The team will work with you on showcasing your chamber in one of the stories or encounters in the book.
All the backer created content must not violate anyone else's copyright, our sense of decency, or fairness. We will give feedback on the submissions but we reserve the right to reject any submission that does not meet our guidelines and standards, in this cases the money will not be refunded and the content not included.
The first chamber has opened and now the Red Queen and the Black King will soon gaze upon this Kickstarter. The second chamber has also been opened and now Nell Raban (Home Again) and Daniel Ortiz (Legends of Elden ) are writting chambers. The third chamber has opened and Jason Pitre ( Sig: Manual of the Primes and After the War) and Amr "Ammourazz" El-Azizi ( Between the Margins) are writing chambers. The fourth chamber has opened and Camdon Wright (He/him) author of One Childs Heart and Brandon Leon-Gambetta ( He/him) Author of "Pasion de las pasiones and "Stop, Hack & Roll" are writing chambers now. The fifth chamber has opened and now Rob Donoghue ( He/him) Co-founder of Evil Hat Productions is writing a new chamber and we get 7 more actions shots.
The final stretch goal is upon us, if we get to $4,000.00 USD / 80,000.00 MXN ALL THE BACKERS will get the Alven Prime Quickstart.
The purpose of this kickstarter is to produce the Maze book .The initial goal will allow us to pay for the art, editing, proofreading and layout of the book. If we get past it , we have some special stretch goals awaiting you.
The book is 6” x 9” ( approx 96 pages) with Black and White interiors, and full color cover. The book will come in softcover edition.
Art is being done by Duamm Figueroa and Hálcabar el Gato. All the interior art will be in Black and white, drawn in an OSR style.
Important note for print copies.
The printed copies in softbacks will be produced by DriveThruRPG after the final PDF is delivered. This will allow for proofs of the printing to be ordered. Once we get the proofs and have checked that everything is perfect, we will release the PoD codes. Backers who have a printed copy will receive the voucher for a print at cost. You will need to pay for the production and shipping.
We are a small mexican company and this systems allows us to reach international backers in a fast way. The production cost estimate is $5 USD at its current length.
Read an example of playhere on update #4
One shot actual play with some of the creators.
One shot actual play in spanish with RoleandoAndo.
THE THREE RULES.
The Maze works under three basic rules:
• The Survival Rule. Every time a character survives a Chamber, either by fighting the monsters successfully, avoiding the traps, hiding or betraying their companions, they gain a level. It does not matter how you got out from the Chamber, only that you did.
• The Renown Rule. Every character starts without a Name (akin to a title) nor background (as they have forgotten them). Initially, the Raiders have a name related to their appearance. Once they perform an epic deed (or epic fail) they gain a Name at the Maze Master discretion and recognized by the rest of the players. Further deeds (or fails) can supersede the Name of the Raider. Example: “A catfolk faces and kills a Dire Boar by riding him, now the catfolk’s Name is Piggyrider.”
• The Scavenge Rule. The purpose of the Characters is to retrieve anything that can be useful for the Bonfire. So, in order of importance the characters must gather: water, firewood, food (including monsters meat and parts), metal, clothes, armor, weaponry, and trinkets.
The Raids .
The basic encounter of the Maze is a Raid. It is meant to be played in a one-shot session. The story develops by joining together several Raids and the discoveries the Raiders have made in each of them. During a Raid the Raiders enter the Maze to explore the Chambers, fight their creatures, find resources and retrieve the components of the Ultimate Weapon, a promise to free everyone trapped in the Maze. There is no maximum number of Raiders that can participate in a Raid.
There are two kinds of raids. The first one is the Single Raid, where the raiders get out from the Bonfire and immediately enter a Chamber. As long as they have found the Chamber’s exit, the surviving Raiders return immediately to the Bonfire after the Timer of the Chamber is up. Once they come back, it is assumed they pass enough time so they can heal any wound, damage, or condition they have received during the Raid unless it is permanent. Also, they receive the benefits of the Survival Rule.
The second type is the Sequential Raid. In this case, the Maze Master agrees with the Players beforehand the number of Chambers they will visit. Then, the Raiders enter them in sequence one after another before returning to the Bonfire. This means that, after escaping from any Chamber during the Raid, the characters cannot heal and are on their own until they escape the arranged number of Chambers.
In order to determine all the details of the Chambers, like the monsters the Raiders will face, the kind of Chamber, its conditions, and the loot the Raiders can find inside it, the Maze Master rolls everything randomly from the tables that can be found in the relevant parts of this adventure.
- Chamber Roll. This is a d% roll that determines the kind of Chamber the Raiders will face, including special Chambers.
- Conditions Roll. This is a d% roll that determines the special Conditions that the Chamber has.
- Entries Roll. This is a d6 roll and its result gives the number of entrances that the Chamber has. The Chambers possess at most one entry per side. Therefore, there could be an exit in the ceiling, on the ground, or on one of the four walls of the Chambers. The entries are rectangular and they do not have a specific size. At the Maze Master’s discretion, the entrances can be huge enough to let a Giant pass through them, or so small that the Raiders have to squeeze through to escape.
- Timer Roll. Every Chamber has a timer.This is the time it takes for any of the Chamber entries to open. Then, once the Raiders get into the Chamber, they have to wait for the timer to open another exit, which is not necessarily the one that they entered through. This means that either they have to wait where they gained entrance or look for another possible exit and wait there until it opens.
- Inhabitant Roll. This is a d% roll that specifies the opposing creatures that occupy at that time the Chamber at a time.
- Loot Roll. This is a d% roll that accounts for the kind of resources that can be found in the Chamber. This provides the last details to the Chamber. So, if there is a metal ore, the Chamber will look like a cave full of rocks. If there is wood, it probably is a forest, and there would be soil to support it, and so on. But if its an Arena and there is wood, probably the wood belongs to the goods carried by Mazeknights after attacking a Bonfire. It is up to the Maze Master how to put the results of the rolls together.
- The Mimic Roll. This is a seventh, optional roll. In every Chamber there is a small chance it is infested with Maze Mimics, the most vicious and malevolent creatures in known Maze-related existence.
There are other groups and factions in the Maze beyond the Raiders. As the plot thickens, characters will interact with these groups, fight them, or even join forces against other kind of dangers. There exist two factions that directly affect livelihood inside The Maze: the Guild of the Red Queen, and the Forces of the Black King. They struggle against each other in a silent chess-like war that takes place across the known chambers. The characters will inevitably face them, for better and worse.
Axo stories is a Mexican company focused on helping creators develop their work. As such we will offer PDFs of other Mexican developers English. To add them to your pledge, just add the amount of money and you will be able to choose which ones you want within the pledge manager after the Kickstarter ends
Hardcover version - $10 USD / $ 200 MXN.
To get a Hardcover version of the book in Print on demand instead of the Softcover just add $10 USD to your pledge. This applies to any pledge at the Mazeborn or higher tier.
Light and Shadow ashcan - $5 USD / $100 MXN.
Light and Shadow is a game of urban exploration and modern fantasy in Mexico city, would you be a Channeler using the power around you or from the myths to discover the secrets of the city or a Nucleic and use your beliefs to change the world. This game focuses on discovery and magic in a modern setting where the most important thing is how you interact with those around you and venture into a world full of secrets. It uses a modified version of the Spark system by Jason Pitre.
Ikaros Project Ashcan - $5 USD / $100 MXN.
Is a game of dark fantasy and science fiction. In it you will take the role of a voidfarer, a dimensional traveler who will explore different realities and the mysteries that almost end with his world. The game focuses on the struggle between will and hardships, where implacable wills and bloodthirsty beings seek the fall of every being that are in their path. You will rise above the vicissitudes, or you will be devoured by the maws of the void ...
Legends of Elden Quickstart Guide - $5 USD / $100 MXN.
Legends of Elden is a story-driven tabletop fantasy roleplaying game set on a world very much unlike our own, a place inhabited by the most exotic creatures and where magic and technology work together to create marvelous mechanical wonders. A completely new array of playable races, character classes, and an entire world to explore await you inside its pages.
The Maze is the first project by Axo stories where we get latinx-developed rpgs and tabletops to the market. This is the team that is bringing the Maze to you.
Miguel Angel Bastarrachea. (He/him)
Is the mind behind the Maze, best known as the shady person of Dr. Posmo, Miguel Bastarrachea is a long-standing Mexican role-playing gamer. Dr. Posmo has a PhD in quantum physics, and he will obtain a second one on the Philosophy of idealism and myths, as long as his luck streak continues. During the last years he has actively contributed to the spread of RPGs in Mexico, including the foundation of the Mexican RPG Studies Network, of which he is the current vice president. Interested in undercover the secrets of the Universe, he has gathered a broad spectrum of knowledge about physics, metaphysics and esotericism, which has driven him ultimately to ignite the spark of the Maze: a flexible RPG module with a unique mixture of savage “Kick in the Door” action and a dark mythological metaplot.
Alastor Guzman. (He/him)
Game designer at Draco studios and co-founder at Axo stories, he likes cats, game mechanics and non-standard magic systems. He is tasked with making everything work, be it emails, writers or artists. Loves playing urban fantasy and surreal horror games but is not above playing a psion or a wizard for D&D style sessions. When not working on games he can be found ranting on many things on his Twitter admiring cute organisms with many legs or no legs at all.
Diego Suárez. (He/him)
A simple man with a simple want: telling stories, particularly in the literary novel format. Likes long walks on the beach, a candle-lit dinner, and “girly” cocktails with silly straws. He’s also Axo’s editor, and writer of short stories of varying degrees of quality that are, at least, enjoyable to read.
Sergio Ake. (He/him)
Team psychologist, game designer and co-founder at Axo Stories. He is tasked with making everyone get along and overseeing their work. He likes helping people, non horror RPGs, deck building games, trading card games, mechas, superheroes, superheroes with mechas, paladins and anything lawful good.
Sergio HG. (He/him)
Game designer and writer, he is one of the writers on the team when not working on his social work degree or his own project called “Project Ikaros”
Clair Castro. (She/her)
Witch and musician she is the designer and layout artist. She likes arts,memes and can be seen browsing pinterest when not working.
Duamn Figueroa Rassol. (He/him)
Is an Argentinian illustrator, graphic designer and amateur game designer that spends his days chugging coffee and his nights rolling dice! He loves tabletop RPGs, from big names like D&D, to OSR style retro-clones to small press non-traditional indie games. In a decade of gaming he has hosted dozens of events, organized a gaming club, wrote and designed for a blog, broadcasted a podcast, drew hundreds of characters and monsters, ran countless sessions, playtested awesome games and even designed some! He really really likes RPGs, that’s what I’m getting at. Find him at his Twitter or on Instagram.
Hálcabar el Gato (She/her)
A mexican Illustrator and future concept artist, who has been working with the Liga Universitaria de Juegos de Rol. She enjoys fantasy stories and rpgs, while epic music sounds in the background. Someone who really loves characters design. Find her at Instagram or Facebook
Jaime “Yaveos” Hernández. (He/him)
Usually going by the name of Yaveos in social media, Jaime Hernández is mexican undergraduate student of physics and an enthusiast of fantasy and storytelling. He has worked with the Liga Universitaria de Juegos de Rol in the pursuit and belief that RPGs can help to create a better world by bringing people together, letting people dream of fantastic worlds and feeding their creativity and imagination.
Risks and challenges
This is Axo stories' first Kickstarter, but we are no stranger to it. Alastor Guzman and Sergio Ake have worked on other kickstarters from mexican companies and have been contributors to other projects. In addition we have the support of the experienced people at IGDN.
This is a purely digital product, and helps us minimise the risk as we won’t be dealing with printing and shipping that could slow project completion. The main issue that could arise is in the art department. If some of the pieces take more time to finish than we planned on, we will offer our backers a version with current completed art at fulfillment time, with an updated version containing all the art pieces at a later date.
- (31 days)