Finally, a delicious chai latte created by local dairy farms. Local. Organic. Sustainable. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on .
About this project
AN AMAZING BEVERAGE
- Superior taste - Café quality chai latte's made from the highest quality ingredients.
- 100% organic teas & spices
- Various flavors - First up: Vanilla Chai. Later releases: Earl Grey, Chocolate-Mint, Red Chai (Rooibos) and more.
- Sustainable - Made using milk that is lightly touched, i.e pasteurized at a lower temperature to preserve taste and healthy cultures.
- Hot or cold - A rich and wholesome beverage that is ready to drink.
Profitable Business Model
- Made at Local Dairies - Our first partner is Working Cows Dairy in Slocomb, Alabama, the state's first certified organic dairy.
- Alabama Chai hopes to partner with other dairies in other states as distribution grows.
- Alabama Chai hopes to provide financial aid to small dairies for capital growth and sustainability.
- Grade-A Pasteurized Milk - Low temperature pasteurization protects the milk's flavor and healthy cultures. It's as close to raw milk as you can get, and it is noticeably better tasting.
- Pampered Cows - Stress-free grass-fed cows live 4 times longer than corn-fed cows. They procreate naturally and get two showers a day.
- Stable Pricing - By avoiding conventional milk distribution methods, we avoid the milk price roller coaster that causes dairies much hardship. This helps bypass the over-regulated market and the expensive middleman, which drives up cost and reduce profit.
On left: Roger Stephenson (left) and Marshall Malone (right).
On right: Jonny de Jong (left) and Marshall visiting one of Jonny's favorite customers.
Marshall Malone CEO: started his career at age 10 and grew up in the hospitality industry on the Alabama Gulf Coast. Property management and restaurants consumed much of his time as he worked his way through school. Marshall then ventured into the broadcast industry, where he spent over 15 years. He left a successful career in 2004 to return to his hospitality roots, founding the Portsmouth Tea Company and Teasyteas.com. Marshall has survived many bumps in the road, is a former café owner, and also serves as a brand management and small business consultant. He became aware of the challenges dairies are facing while living in New England. He likes hanging out with his kids, doing Crossfit and running.
Roger Stephenson CFO, COO: was born in Britain, where he studied accounting and earned the distinction of becoming a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. He has enjoyed an impressive career with such companies as Sheaffer Pen Company, Pfaltzgraff, and Southern Living At HOME. Roger has traveled all over the globe and has extensive experience in all aspects of business, including marketing, sales, sourcing, international business, and general management. He loves the blues and is President of the Magic City Blues Society.
Jonny de Jong grew up on the family dairy farm, where he worked sun-up to sun-down every day. He works with his hands and distributes his own milk. Jonny can fix anything, weld anything, and knows how to treat a cow. At age 24, he knows more about the dairy business than any of us. He drinks organic milk, and has the energy of a bull. Alabama Chai is honored to have Jonny and Working Cows Dairy as their first partner.
Risks and challenges
We've spent much of the last year working to mitigate as many risks as possible, yet we know there will still be hurdles to overcome. We will always be transparent with our community about challenges, including the following:
Bottled chai products have been very successful in the Western U.S., but this is a new idea for Alabama and the Southeast. However, chai is a big seller in coffee houses.
We plan to overcome this hurdle by:
1. Introducing conventional Vanilla Chai, a flavor that will be familiar to the public.
2. Adding a variety of new latte flavors, such as Chocolate-Mint, Caramel, Almond, Earl Grey, Candy Cane and Oatmeal Cookie.
3. Beginning with a smaller size product that will be easier to purchase.
4. Introducing an Alabama Chai concentrate for cafés to use as a mix and steam product.
5. Using multiple distribution methods, including Working Cows Dairy's broadening network.
6. Capitalizing on our local/organic product at natural food stores, such as Whole Foods and Organic Harvest, etc... These stores will allow in-house tasting. Once customers taste it, they will buy it.
7. As distribution allows we will be introducing larger sizes for our thirstier customers.
8. Product changes: Refine the product with slight changes based on customer input.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $5 or more
FOUNDING MEMBER: Join the Alabama Chai community to receive special updates.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
Get a three month supply of 50 servings of DIY Vanilla Chai. ($50+ value). US shipping included.
(Great iced or hot) ||
DIY Chai explained - It is the same mixture of teas and spices that we use for Alabama Chai. While we can't duplicate the magic of the Working Cows Dairy in your neck of the woods, we can give you everything else you need to make Alabama Chai with milk from your own favorite local dairy.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $35 or more
11 backers Limited (69 left of 80)
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: Get an Alabama Chai T-shirt and 15 servings of DIY Vanilla chai. ($50+ value). US shipping included. (This chai is great iced or hot)Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $50 or more
6-MONTH SUBSCRIPTION SPECIAL: Get 50 servings of DIY Vanilla Chai, plus an elegant stoneware Alabama Chai Mug. ($100+ value). US shipping included.
(This chai is great iced or hot)Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $75 or more
3-gift Special: Get an Alabama Chai T-shirt, plus 50 servings of DIY Masala Chai, plus an elegant stoneware Alabama Chai Mug. US shipping included.
(This chai is great iced or hot)Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $100 or more
6-MONTH SUBSCRIPTION SPECIAL: Get an Alabama Chai T-shirt, plus an elegant stoneware Alabama Chai Mug, plus 6-months delivery of 50 servings of DIY Vanilla Chai, Chocolate-Mint Chai, and Gnarly Red Chai. ($250+ value). US shipping included. (This chai is great iced or hot)Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $130 or more
3-PACK SPECIAL: **Our best deal** This includes a 6-month supply of 3 flavors of Chai; Vanilla Chai, Chocolate-Mint, and our gnarly Red Chai. ($300+ value). Plus 2 Alabama Chai Shirts and 2 elegant stoneware Alabama Chai Mugs . US shipping included.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $250 or more
VIP SPECIAL: Get a 6-month supply of 3 flavors of Chai; Vanilla Chai, Chocolate-Mint and our gnarly Red Chai.($300+ value). Plus 2 Alabama Chai Shirts, 2 elegant stoneware Alabama Chai Mugs, and an attractive glass Alabama Chai carafe.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $500 or more
2 backers Limited (8 left of 10)
ULTRA VIP REWARD: Receive a case of the completed product shipped overnight in a refrigerated pack, plus a glass caraffe with your name etched next to the Alabama Chai logo, and 2 elegant stoneware Alabama Chai Mugs. (US Shipping included)
Attend an intimate pre-party, as well as the VIP launch party. One night at a top Birmingham restaraunt included, as well as a half-hour informational call with Alabama Chai co-founder and CEO Marshall Malone.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $5,000 or more
0 backers Limited (3 left of 3)
DINNER WITH MARSHALL MALONE, ROGER STEPHENSON AND OUR FIRST DAIRY TEAM MEMBER, JONNY DE JONG. Three lucky people will get everything in the VIP special, plus an unforgettable dinner with the Alabama Chai team. The meal will be at one of Alabama's top restaurants, complete with a local Alabama band.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
- (30 days)