- YOU CAME HERE AT THE RIGHT TIME!
- Check out our massive FLASH SALE in the REWARDS section below!
It is a known fact that textile production, especially dyeing, does enormous damage to the environment. What is less known is the strong impact of textiles on our own health. Today, scientists link chemicals used in textiles to skin problems and allergies. Starting with the most important textile for your health, your bedding, we are about to put an end to this.
- Skin-soothing: The active components of indigo – tyrptanthrin and isatin – have positive effects on inflammation.
- Anti-microbal: Organic cotton offers inhospitable conditions for bed mites and other microbes (such as fungi) that can irritate your skin or cause allergic reactions.
- Certified toxin-free: Most bedding textiles are made with harmful synthetic chemicals such as formaldehyde and flame-retardants. Not so with Aizome Bedding, which is made purely from untreated plant-sources.
While indigo has been used around the world in various ancient civilizations for medicinal purposes, it is widely known that Japanese indigo dyeing - aizome - is the most sophisticated. For centuries, "Japan Blue" was used for its skin-healing properties under samurai armor, in clothing for babies and by farmers in the fields. Today, as cheaper and more harmful synthetic indigo dominates the market, natural indigo dyers such as Cozo Cazama above are a rare breed.
As the Japanese have known for centuries, natural indigo strengthens fibers and its component tryptanthrin has healing effects on the skin. People still love the color indigo, but nowadays almost all of its dye is synthetic. We are bringing natural indigo back.
Organic cotton has been the deluxe choice in textiles for centuries. It is a superb fiber when grown organically without using synthetic materials. Great comfort, highly sweat-absorbent and offers inhospitable conditions for bed mites and other pathogens that can irritate your skin or cause allergic reactions.
The one downside with plant-dyed textiles is that they usually wash out and rub off fast. We have solved this problem by using a state-of-the-art sonic wave technology. In short, sound waves in our natural indigo dye bath create microscopic bubbles that project indigo molecules at high velocity into the yarn and build a super strong connection that lasts for over 500 wash cycles. This means that the color lasts for about 20 years if you wash our bedding every two weeks.
Chemical dyes – the dirty secret they don’t want you to know
Today's chemical dyeing methods cause huge environmental damage. Rivers in textile producing areas are colored in the fashion industry’s trendiest hues. Residents get sick from the chemicals used, such as petroleum, coal and heavy metals. Chemical dyes are extremely water intensive: up to 10,000 liters of fresh water is used per bedding set.
Aizome Bedding is different
Aizome is made only from plant sources: natural indigo dye and organic cotton. Our process uses very little water and all of it can be reused as fertilizer.
Because transparency and trust is important, we have obtained several third party certifications.
- Our cotton source is certified by GOTS®. We use famous long staple cotton from Xinjiang, China.
- The dyeing facility is certified by OEKO-TEX®
- The indigo we use is from a certified medical indigo plantation in China, which uses indigo leaves in their traditional medicine.
- The final product is checked and certified in Japan by QTEC to be free of any residual toxins.
- You do not need to choose the size now. At the end of the campaign, we will send out a survey in which you can choose sizes (see size chart) and options for the sheet (flat sheet or drawstring sheet).
- Estimated delivery date for all items is February, except for the Christmas Special Set.
- Sizes are optimized for North America. Please be aware that generic size names such as ‘Queen’ vary slightly between countries.
- As with almost all campaigns on Kickstarter, please be aware that some countries may charge import tax or VAT when you receive the parcel. You can check this here. We will do our best to avoid any cost on your side, by we cannot control the charges that may occur.
Connected with us!
Risks and challenges
We have successfully produced our first batch and based on the feedback of 500 customers made incremental improvements.
We can guarantee quality and actual production.
Based on the order amount, delays in production may happen.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter