AIRBLADE: Extreme Hockey
AIRBLADE: Extreme Hockey
Air hockey meets ice hockey for a sick-fast, all new extreme sport!
Air hockey meets ice hockey for a sick-fast, all new extreme sport! Read more
What is it?
Remember the excitement of playing super-fast air hockey as a kid? Imagine the thrill of having that game magnified on a human scale and being able to get out there and really play!
Welcome to AirBlade™, where imagination becomes reality, bringing the fun and excitement of air hockey to a whole new level. AirBlade Extreme ™ has been gaining support from professional hockey players, coaches and business owners—and we’re ready to bring the excitement to the public.
Our R & D team built several smaller-scale models, which were met with resounding enthusiasm. Building on this initial success, we came to Kickstarter and Here’s where you come in: As we continue to innovate, bringing this whole new category to extreme sports, we invite you to invest in the world’s fastest rink—the Airblade Extreme Pro Rink and be part of our success. We own all the intellectual property and trade marks for this sport.
Prototype III Features:
- The AirBlade Extreme Pro Rink will be 85’x 200’.
- 2.2 million perforated holes, 2 megawatts of electricity
- The translucent surface will be LED illuminated and air-pressurized to elevate the puck with near-zero friction, allowing crazy high velocity shots and uber fast gameplay.
- LED lights to follow the puck, highlight players who score and sponsors alike.
- The rink ends will be banked 6 ft high spanning 85' (one long half pipe) for higher player speeds and skate tricks.
- To amp up spectator excitement, we’ve designed 2-pointer slots in each net-goal––basically the hockey equivalent to the basketball 3-pointer.
- We’re designing and constructing the rink modularly to facilitate easy set up and take-down as we take this new sport on the road to the athletic communities around the world.
With your help, we can build the Prototype III the - AirBlade Extreme ™ Pro Rink. With A LOT of your help, we can build more rinks for local arenas and personal home use. AirBlade Home Rink is for anyone with bare feet, gym shoes, inline skates in warm weather you can AirBlade. Gather your friends, plug in your iPod, and shoot the puck at super fast AirBlade™ speed. AirBlade™ will be a fast, edgy, tricked-out addition to the worldwide extreme sport family. AirBlade™ as an Olympic sport for the 2024 Summer Olympics!
How does it work?
If you can run, walk or skate, you can AirBlade™! But first we have to build the Prototype III - AirBlade™ Extreme Pro Rink! Prototype II, which we completed early December 2013, is 40’x24’ and is powered by 2 Dayton industrial blowers providing 11,000 CFM of air that blasts up through thousands of tiny holes in the rink surface. See further below for Prototype II specs.
We’re located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. In addition to starting on the big Extreme Pro Rink, we’re in the process of showcasing Prototype II to the local hockey community, potential partners and investors, and the media. The video posted above was shot at our first stop in Royal Oak, MI. We'll keep you posted on our next stop, so you can drop by and test your skills on the new surface. Bring your own blades (soft wheels only!) or use our loaners. Same deal with sticks.
Risks and challenges
We've been working on AirBlade™! for over a year and had initially intended to start with manufacturing smaller rinks for recreational facilities and the backyards of hockey-crazy consumers, which we plan to do. However, the complexities of big volume manufacturing and push that idea out by 6 months.
Considering the enthusiasm of the local hockey community upon seeing and playing on Prototype II, we decided to speed up development of the Extreme Pro Rink and debut it this spring at the Ultimate AirBlade Championship Test Tournament. The Test Tournament will take place in May, 2014 at we hope a major Stadium in Detroit, Michigan. We're inviting everyone who moves on skates––players and coaches at all levels of hockey–youth up through pro; and sports media.
We’re confident we can deliver AirBlade ™.
Below are the main challenges we will tackle over the next few months with your help:
• Manufacture and build professional rink
• Meet and present to “NHL Team Owners”
• Solidify rules for this new playing surface and game
• Continue to showcase AirBlade™! Prototype II to:
- (30 days)