AGLAECA is the name of the world setting for this Low Fantasy Role-Playing game firmly grounded in the Sword & Sorcery genre. It gets a lot of its inspiration from Ancient, Dark Age and early Medieval Western European history and mythology.
It is a world populated by Heroes and Monsters, wherein you - the Player -- get to play those Heroes of the setting as they face natural and supernatural enemies throughout the Nine Kingdoms and beyond.
Story themes will include exploration of ruined cities of the Ancients social problem solving, and the ubiquitous struggle between good and evil (epitomised by the shape-shifting demonic Attor in this setting).
The Free Lands / Nine Kingdoms region is a sub-setting of the world of Maern, which we hope to expand upon in the future.
The word Aglaeca in Old English described... "a wretch, miscreant monster, demon, fierce enemy, fierce combatant, or miserable being " and defined both a hero and a monster under different circumstances
A theme that runs throughout this game is that "you don't get anything for nothing". So for every Benefit there is a Problem, and Successes can be good and bad, depending upon your point of view.
- A solid background dealing individually with the Nine Kingdoms and generally with the laws and customs of the Free Lands Region.
- An overview of the Creation Myth and the eight primary Gods, including how and by whom they are worshipped.
- A section on mundane animals, exotic creatures, and monsters you might find in the settled and wilderness areas of the Free Lands Region.
- Full rules on how to create your Hero character, with plenty of examples all the steps of the way. We also include five pre-generated characters.
- Full rules on how to play the game, again with lots of examples featuring our five pre-generated characters as they get into and out of trouble.
- Rules on what is expected of the Hero characters (their Geldr Rank).
- And more! Including a series of adventures set in each of the Nine Kingdoms, if we reach the stretch goals...
The Core Rules are almost complete but require a bit more work, more art, editing, and polishing. What else that goes in there depends on you guys!
The core mechanic utilizes a multiple Dice Pool system with each die result being compared to a Task Difficulty Number. Successes are applied to the situation in a number of ways, which differ slightly between combat ad non-combat conflicts.
The number of dice rolled and the target number itself can be modified by various means, including character Benefits and Problems, tactical and environmental effects.
For extra flavour, we also provide Aglaeca Points which work in a number of ways to give your character the edge when he really needs it.
Magic is dealt with differently from most games - there are no fire-ball casting Wizards, or bags that are larger on the inside than the outside. In Aglaeca, a Hero can Call Upon The Gods for aid, and if he's lucky or pious enough, they may provide some additional benefit; but don't count on it...
We have a few explanatory videos too:
And a Hero Creation session with James and Phil:
And a Scenario session with Baptiste, James, Josh, Phil, and Stuart:
Character Heroes are created in a number of interlocking logical steps, taking into account the following important aspects.
- Their Birthplace. Provides a Benefit and a Problem.
- Their Family Trade. Provides a Benefit and a Problem.
- Their Heroic Calling. Provides a Benefit and a Problem.
- Their Fighting Style. Provides a Benefit.
- Their Ability dice pools.
- Other things such as birthday, family & friends, weapons & armour, general equipment, and trinkets.
- And a suitably Heroic Name.
To the West of the Nine Kingdoms lies a dark and mist-shrouded place called the Poison Lands. It was created by the dark God a long time ago and brought about the end of the Ancient civilization. These days, it is the springing point for raids by its denizens the demonic Attor and their minions the Attorkin.
To the far North, beyond the snow-capped mountains lies a land of the dead, ruled over by the White Lady. It is only recently that her undead warriors have been seen in the nearby civilized areas. The portents are not good.
Beyond the Southern grasslands is a forbidding wasteland of rocks and sand. Very few have ventured there, and even less have returned.
And to the East? A vast, perilous ocean that has yet to be plied...
We will unveil further Stretch Goals as we reach the funding goals.
• $3000. Project Funded!
• £4000. Adventures in the Nine Kingdoms supplement. Contains more information on the people and places, interwoven within a series of nine stand alone short adventures.
Risks and challenges
Granted, this is my first Kick-starter project, but I do have the full backing of James and the FeralGamersInc team who are successfully experienced in this sort of thing.
The vast majority of the work on the Core Rules is done. All we need to do is get it edited, proofread and presented in a professional manner - with some atmospheric artwork from the rest of the team, including Gillian Pearce, Robert Last and Phil Bate.
I have aimed for a relatively low funding level for this one, but don't let that put you off. I am fully committed to getting this game to you guys. Furthermore, if we don't manage to fund it on here, I will contact everyone in the Aglaeca Groups with a £5 Voucher via DriveThruRPG when I upload it on there anyway, as a way of saying "Thanks" to those who have shown an interest.
Speaking of Vouchers, this is how we will be selling the printed versions on DTRPG. The shipping is so variable that we will email you with a Voucher for the FULL PRICE of the game and you simply pay the shipping costs independently.
Release date: June 2018
Thanks for your interest.
- (30 days)