Set in the Great Depression, a young runaway spends time with a group of misfits living in an alleged mystical forest.
Where the Mangos Grow is a short live-action film being created in 2013 by an ambitious team of Film & Television students at the Savannah College of Art and Design in collaboration with industry professionals.
Follow our journey in the making of this film at: www.facebook.com/wherethemangosgrow and trending on Twitter #savethemangos
A Brief Synopsis.
Set in the backdrop of the Great Depression, Where the Mangos Grow follows the story of a young runaway named Liam on his journey to find purpose and a place to call home. While hitchhiking across the country, Liam spends time with an eccentric group of misfits who have created a home together (which they call, "The Lantern") in an allegedly enchanted forest.
Discover the journey.
To put it simply, it takes a lot of resources to make a film – especially a period piece and one that’s going to be as high quality as ours. The entire team behind this project is incredibly committed to making the best film possible, but in order to accomplish our vision, we’re asking for the support of our families, friends and the kindness of complete strangers. Through your donations we will be able to cover all budgetary needs including (but not limited to):
- Production Design/Costumes: In order to create believable aesthetics for this film, we are going to have to re-create the early 1930s and the times of the Great Depression. This means purchasing furniture, props and authentic costumes in order to realistically establish the world in which the story takes place.
- Locations: We have already begun spending a good deal of time scouting locations for this film. We need to find the right places for the look and feel of the film that will allow us to create a believable setting. In order to do this, we will have to provide filming permits, purchase insurance, as well as pay for the use of private property.
- Catering/Craft-Services: Food is good. It is vital to our survival as human beings. We will need to feed our hard working cast and crew to keep them happy and healthy throughout the duration of production.
- Casting: We would like to cast professional actors who will potentially come from out of town. This means not only paying our actors, but providing them with lodging and covering their travel expenses.
- Equipment Rental: Luckily we will be provided much of our equipment through our school or we already own some of the needed equipment. However, in order to create the visual aesthetics we envision, it is likely that we will have to rent additional lighting equipment, generators and grip gear.
We are currently in pre-production. Throughout the duration of our campaign, we will be casting, scouting locations, preparing camera work and much more. We are currently projected to start production in Februrary, leading straight into post-production.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about our project. Filmmaking is a collaborative effort and we hope you choose to be a part of this project. As we have illustrated, our entire team is incredibly excited about this film and we cannot wait to share it with you. Thank you so much in advance for your support.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
There are a few risks and challengers that go into making a movie that are sometimes even out of our control.
Weather for example is a factor that we cannot influence and we can only hope for the best during the duration of on-set production. (Unfortunately, it rains a good deal in Savannah). In this case, we may have to re-schedule shooting dates in order to film in the weather conditions that we need for our film (i.e. when it's not raining).
Another factor that makes this project somewhat difficult is the fact that the entire crew will be made up of volunteer students who are working on this film for free. This means they are naturally less invested in the project in comparison to our key creative team (who is also working for free). A solution to this will be to assemble a crew of students who share our ambition in making high quality films. Oh yeah... and we'll also feed our volunteer crew some yummy food. That might help.
The team behind this project is extremely capable and we will do our absolute best to overcome any challenges in order to ensure the making of this project.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
"Begin The Journey" -- Receive high-resolution on-set production photos via email as the film is being made.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
"Follow your destiny" -- Have your very own copy of the film in its entirety, delivered in stunning HD digital format (includes previous incentive).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
"Welcome to The Lantern" -- Get an exclusive inside look at select scenes from the film before it ever hits the big screen (includes all previous incentives).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
"Drink The Good Stuff" -- Receive a special memorabilia package from the film, which includes a Where the Mangos Grow t-shirt, an official poster and a DVD copy of the film (also includes all previous incentives).Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
"Slay The Ugly Thing" -- Holy smokes! You're flippin' awesome! Step into the spotlight and receive a cameo appearance in the film as a member of The Lantern (travel not provided, also includes all previous incentives). Also receive a special thanks in the film's credits.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
"Save the Mangos" -- Wow, you totally rock! You will be acknowledged as an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER in the film’s credits and in all other media related to the film. (also includes all previous incentives).Estimated delivery:
- (45 days)