Scoundrel Society is the first Small Box/Big Fun game from Action Phase Games where players take on the role of a member of The Society, a gathering of notable con artists who come together once a year to show off their craft by proving who can steal the most loot from the mark without getting caught. Loot is lifted from the mark by playing one of five action cards, most of which work best when played alone. But tread carefully: while many pieces of loot have unique abilities that can affect the game, each carries a suspicion value. So when Constable Cramphorn is revealed from the last ten cards of the loot deck, the player with the highest suspicion score is apprehended, leaving the rest to compare the value of their ill-gotten gains to determine who is the most dirty and rotten of The Scoundrel Society.
Scoundrel Society is a small box game for 2-5 players that plays in under 45 minutes. We encourage you to view the videos directly below for more information. Or simply peruse our rulebook here.
The deluxe edition of Scoundrel Society includes the Historical Loot mini-expansion, which depicts six famous, real-world treasures and four mythological relics. These ten cards provide additional complexity and unique abilities, elevating each game to legendary proportions. Further, this edition comes with upgraded first player and suspicion tokens, all of which are custom wood pieces.
Written reviews by:
- Scoundrel Society is the third project from Action Phase Games, designed by Travis R. Chance and Nick Little. With the successful execution of our first two projects—the big box game Heroes Wanted and its expansion, The Stuff of Legend—and a reprint of Heroes Wanted under our belts, we have become experienced with game design and manufacturing. We will confidently execute this project to the highest standard.
- This game has undergone extensive testing and development. We have every confidence that this game will be a treasured part of your collection for years to come.
- People who have demoed and playtested this game have uniformly loved it for its charm, high level of player interaction, and tension via the suspicion mechanic.
- All of the art assets (with the exception of the two "Join The Society" backers) are complete.
- The game is full of charming illustrations by the very talented Kathryn Steele and Catherine Batka, with a lush design by the equally talented Scott Hartman.
Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every month, tens of thousands of people pledge millions of dollars to creative projects in dozens of categories.
A person who supports a project is called a "backer." The process of giving money to this project is called a "pledge."
In return for your pledge, we (the creators of the campaign) are able to offer "rewards," depending on the amount you pledge.
For example, if you pledge $19 to help back the project — we'll offer you a copy of the game along with any over-funding goals we achieve as soon as it is manufactured. You'll get access weeks before it's made available to everyone else!
Pledge levels vary from just $1 to several hundred dollars. And each different level opens up a new creative reward. (For a full list, check out the right side of this page, or scroll down a bit more).
You can become a backer in just three easy steps:
- Step 1: Read through the pledge levels and rewards we're offering in the right sidebar of this page.
- Step 2: Click the large, green "BACK THIS PROJECT" button to the right of the trailer video at the top of this page.
- Step 3: Enter your pledge amount, and complete the steps for filling in your information. This process takes just a few seconds! That's it! It's really that simple! Thank you for backing!
Once you've backed this project, we encourage you to share this page on social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, and to tell your friends. Also, be sure to like Action Phase Games on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for real time updates about this project and more!
- PICKPOCKET (Pledge $1 or more) - Every contribution counts. The Society appreciates your generosity.
- GRIFTER (Pledge $19 or more) - One copy of Scoundrel Society with stretch goals. Free shipping in the US. Other shipping rates based on location.
- SCOUNDREL (Pledge $27 or more) - One deluxe edition of Scoundrel Society, which includes the ten-card Historical Loot mini-expansion, wooden first player marker, and 35 wooden suspicion tokens. Includes all stretch goals. Free shipping in the US. Other shipping rates based on location.
- SCHEMER (Pledge $52 or more) - Two deluxe edition copies of Scoundrel Society, which include the ten-card Historical Loot mini-expansion, a wooden first player marker, and 35 wooden suspicion tokens. Includes all stretch goals. Free shipping in the US. Other shipping rates based on location.
- JOIN THE SOCIETY (Pledge $300 or more) - You will be immortalized as a member of The Scoundrel Society. Your likeness and an alias of your choice be will used on a Thief card in the game. You will also receive one deluxe edition copy of Scoundrel Society with all the stretch goals. Free shipping everywhere in the world.
Risks and challenges
As this is our third campaign, we have learned how to streamline the game publishing process. In our first campaign, we encountered a handful of issues due to third-party partners and elements outside of our control. In our second campaign, as well as with the reprint of our first game, we managed to successfully avoid all of these issues.
As evidenced by our first project, we are willing to go the extra mile to solve any problems that may arise. The scope and scale of a small box project like this is less susceptible to the potential problems we have navigated in the past. We have every confidence that we will be able to deliver Scoundrel Society on time and that it will be of the highest possible quality.
Our greatest obstacle is simply funding the manufacture of this game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)