The forest is growing fast! As caretakers for kodama, the tree spirits, you must keep the forest a healthy and lush home for your little friends. Over three growing seasons, you must cultivate trees with the right mix of flowers, insects, and branch arrangements to make your kodama as happy as possible. Whoever cares for their kodama best will be remembered for generations!
From the designer of the hit game Kigi, Kodama branches out into a fun new way to play! Grow your tree by placing cards in clever arrangements, being careful to leave room for future growth. At the end of each season, one kodama will award you points for how well your tree suits its needs. With beautiful art and innovative mechanics, Kodama is an inTREEguing game for the whole family.
Kodama: The Tree Spirits is the newest Small Box/Big Fun game from Action Phase Games, playing in under 45 minutes for 2-5 players. We encourage you to view the videos directly below for more information. Or simply peruse our rule book here.
The Deluxe Edition of the game includes the below components in addition to the ones above:
The story of Kodama is an interesting one indeed. Initially, we sought to publish Daniel's game Kigi, but felt we could help to develop a few elements of the game. Two months later, we realized that we had a much different game than Kigi and Kodama took seed! (You can read more about this here in Daniel's Design Diary.)
While both games come from similar roots, Kodama provides a very different game experience from its predecessor.
Here are the differences in Kigi and Kodama:
- THEME: In Kodama, players cultivate homes (trees) for the kodama.
- PLACEMENT: In Kodama, there is no pruning, but rather a 10 point scoring cap for placement that encourages diversity while leaving players with a beautiful tree by the end of the game. Additionally, players now only place branches on their own trees.
- FEATURES: Not only are all of the features updated to help represent the theme, there are now six features as opposed to five.
- GOALS: In Kigi, goals came in the form of Commission cards that were shuffled into the branch deck. Now, players are dealt four kodama cards, three of which they will score over three seasons.
- SEASONS: Play is now divided into three seasons: Spring, Summer, and Fall. At the beginning of each season a Decree will be revealed which will add or amend a rule in the game--adding more replayability and strategy to placement. After placing four branches, players will select one of their Kodama cards to score. At the end of three seasons, players score a final Kodama card and a winner is determined!
- Kodama: The Tree Spirits is the fifth project from Action Phase Games and was designed by the very talented Daniel Solis. With the successful execution of our first four projects, we have become experienced as publishers. We will confidently execute this project to the same high standard.
- The deluxe edition, containing additional content and upgraded components, will not be available in retail.
- Daniel Solis has successfully designed a game that is accessible to gamers of all ages and levels of experience. Kodama is innovative while remaining easy to learn and play. Because of these factors, we have every confidence that this game will be played for years to come.
- People who have demoed and play-tested this game have uniformly loved it for its original mechanics, charm, artistic beauty, and accessibility. While the game takes under 45 minutes to teach and play, it offers a surprising amount of tactical depth and replay value.
- All of the art assets (with the exception of the 3 Become a Guardian pledge levels) are complete.
- The game is full of charming illustrations by the extremely gifted Kwanchai Moriya, with graphic design by the equally talented Scott Hartman.
- Not only do we offer free shipping in the US, but this project is EU friendly, too.
Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every month, tens of thousands of people pledge millions of dollars to creative projects in dozens of categories.
A person who supports a project is called a "backer." The process of giving money to this project is called a "pledge."
In return for your pledge, we (the creators of the campaign) are able to offer "rewards," depending on the amount you pledge.
For example, if you pledge $19 to help back the project — we'll offer you a copy of the game along with any over-funding goals we achieve as soon as it is manufactured. You'll get access weeks before it's made available to everyone else!
Pledge levels vary from just $1 to several hundred dollars. And each different level opens up a new creative reward. (For a full list, check out the right side of this page, or scroll down a bit more).
You can become a backer in just three easy steps:
- Step 1: Read through the pledge levels and rewards we're offering in the right sidebar of this page.
- Step 2: Click the large, green "BACK THIS PROJECT" button to the right of the trailer video at the top of this page.
- Step 3: Enter your pledge amount, and complete the steps for filling in your information. This process takes just a few seconds! That's it! It's really that simple! Thank you for backing!
Once you've backed this project, we encourage you to share this page on social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, and to tell your friends. Also, be sure to like Action Phase Games on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for real time updates about this project and more!
- SAPLING (Pledge $1 or more): Every contribution counts. The Guardians of the forest appreciate your help.
- TREE SPIRIT (Pledge $19 or more): One copy of Kodama: The Tree Spirits with stretch goals. Free shipping in the US. Other shipping rates based on location.
- KODAMA (Pledge $27 or more): One deluxe copy of Kodama: The Tree Spirits, which includes additional Kodama and Decree cards in addition to wooden player components and first player marker. Stretch goals included. Free shipping in the US. Other shipping rates based on location.
- GROVE DWELLER (Pledge $52 or more): Two deluxe copies of Kodama: The Tree Spirits, which includes 16 additional Kodama and Decree cards, as well as wooden player components and season marker. Stretch goals included. Free shipping in the US. Other shipping rates based on location.
- BECOME A FOREST GUARDIAN (Pledge $400 or more): You will be immortalized as a Guardian of the Forest. Your likeness will be used on all of the backs of one of the three decks of Decree cards, making you the Guardian for that particular season. This pledge level includes two deluxe copies of Kodama: The Tree Spirits. Free shipping anywhere in the world.
Risks and challenges
As this is our fifth campaign, we have learned how to streamline the game publishing process. In our first campaign, we encountered a handful of issues due to third-party partners and elements outside of our control. In our second campaign, as well as with the reprint of our first game, we managed to successfully avoid all of these issues.
As evidenced on our prior projects, we are willing to go the extra mile to solve any problems that may arise. The scope and scale of a small box project like this is less susceptible to the potential problems we have navigated in the past. We have every confidence that we will be able to deliver Kodama on time and that it will be of the highest possible quality.
Our greatest obstacle is simply funding the manufacture of this game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)