About this project
A dark cloud looms over Zeta City, one that speaks with a forked tongue and tells of ill omens and other generally bad stuff. In the wake of the retirement of Fastodon, the World’s Fastest Mammoth, all manner of foul evil has emerged to wreak havoc. From sinister deities once relegated to myth to arcane menaces who have hovered at the fringes of our mundane world, all have been waiting for just such an opportunity and now return with visions of conquest. After all, one less Champion means one less obstacle in the way of their nefarious machinations. But hope is not lost! As we have learned in recent news, ambitious heroes eager to prove their mettle are patrolling the rooftops and alleys. Among them are practitioners of the mystic arts and noble gods from great pantheons, each able to face the rising tide of villainy for the sake of all that is good and right. A day of decisive battle is descending upon Zeta City, and from it shall emerge…
The Stuff of Legend!
The Stuff of Legend expands the Heroes Wanted universe as Supernatural and Mythic heroes join the fray, while mechanics such as feats and curses introduce all-new tactics and the price for using them. All that along with even more Heroes, Villains, Quirks, and two new scenarios will add even more variety and complexity to your Heroes Wanted experience. Are you ready to step up and be more than just a hero? Are you ready to become The Stuff of Legend?
Wait...this is your first journey into the Heroes Wanted universe? Then we encourage you to check out our original Kickstarter campaign and our page at Board Game Geek. Go ahead...we'll be here when you come back.
Two new hero types are introduced in The Stuff of Legend: Supernatural and Mythic.
Supernatural heroes draw their powers from the dark arts, but these magical heroes have not quite yet mastered their abilities. Unable to fully harness these arcane forces, Supernatural heroes risk chaotic and random consequences, also called “curses,” when activating their Superpowers.
Mythic heroes are by far the rarest type of hero found in Zeta City. Each Mythic hero is unique, with his or her own hero bonus card and epic action. Some Mythic heroes might not even have an epic action, but each Mythic hero starts with at least one feat. Feats are additional abilities, similar to the ones listed on Hero B cards, and are granted to the hero for use throughout the course of the game.
In addition to the new hero types, new mechanics are introduced in The Stuff of Legend. One such mechanic is hex directional, which adds a bit of randomness to actions such as movement or minion placement by having players roll a die to determine what direction will be used.
For more details on the new hero types and mechanics in The Stuff of Legend, check out the draft of the rule book here.
Part I: Gameplay Runthrough
Part II: Final Thoughts
Live Play Vid:
- As lifelong gamers, we know what makes a game not only fun but worth playing. The base set of Heroes Wanted went through a year-long design and testing process, which led to a fantastic, unique game with wide appeal and an insane amount of replayability. And you don't have to take our word for it. The reviews above speak for themselves. So every effort has been taken to make sure that The Stuff of Legend, the first large expansion for Heroes Wanted, only adds to the game's variety, complexity, and overall excitement.
- Not only is the same team that brought you the original Heroes Wanted experience the creative force behind this expansion, but also we've expanded our crew to include more pre-press production personnel to help with text editing and proof review. Our collective understanding and insight into all elements of project production, as well as the lessons learned during the production of the base set of Heroes Wanted, will ensure that this expansion will not only be a high quality product, but also that The Stuff of Legend will be print-ready and manufacturing will begin immediately after this Kickstarter campaign ends. Now all we need is the capital to manufacture and ship the game to awesome backers just like you!
- The game is full of original, incredible character and board illustrations by the very talented Ryan Howe and Christopher Byer.
- As backers, you will be the very first to receive The Stuff of Legend.
- All backers (beyond the Citizen level) will receive any over-funding goals we achieve throughout the campaign (and as we did for the original campaign for Heroes Wanted, we have some cool ones in store for The Stuff of Legend). In addition to our normal stretch goals, which start when we reach $30,000 in pledges, we will unlock a new character combination at every $10,000 we raise after that. These cards will be included in a promo pack that will not be included in the retail edition of the game.
- In addition to the promo pack, Kickstarter exclusive content has been unlocked. A custom Threat token has already been unlocked. Custom Bystander meeples are unlocked at $75,000. These, along with a custom Havoc token unlocked at $85,000, will only be in the Kickstarter edtion of the game.
- Hot off the presses! As it's become clear that you would like to experience the excitement that is The Stuff of Legend sooner rather than later, we will be making a print-and-play (PnP) version available to all backers who pledged at Sidekick and above as soon as this campaign ends.
- The MSRP for The Stuff of Legend will be $45, so we're passing on the savings to our backers — particularly at the Defender, Hero, and Champion levels.
Newsflash! Breaking News adds another fifty-four new cards that further amplify the legendary qualities, invasive evil, and seat-of-your-pants thrills of Heroes Wanted by bringing more POW! to your powers with this expansion pack's focus on actions and action types. To make sure that you receive Breaking News, pledge at any of the following levels: Defender, Guardian, Champion, Become a Hero, or Become a Villain.
Had enough of the steps and stumbles on the path to greatness? Then Champions and Masterminds 2 is the answer! Three more of The Champions of Zeta City have arrived to prove their legendary status in the co-op variant established in the first Champions and Masterminds set. Or do you think the quality of the villains you've been facing is keeping you from your true potential? Then two new Masterminds stand ready to test your mettle — and maybe even make you cry for your mommy. This expansion pack comes with a token sheet to be used specifically with these characters. To make sure that you receive Champions and Masterminds 2, pledge at any of the following levels: Defender, Guardian, Champion, Become a Hero, or Become a Villain.
Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every month, tens of thousands of people pledge millions of dollars to creative projects in dozens of categories.
A person who supports a project is called a "backer." The process of giving money to this project is called a "pledge."
In return for your pledge, we (the creators of the campaign) are able to offer "rewards," depending on the amount you pledge.
For example, if you pledge $38 to help back the project — we'll offer you a copy of the game along with any over-funding goals we achieve as soon as it is manufactured. You'll get access weeks before it's made available to everyone else!
Pledge levels vary from just $1 to several hundred dollars. And each different level opens up a new creative reward. (For a full list, check out the right side of this page, or scroll down a bit more).
You can become a backer in just three easy steps:
- Step 1: Read through the pledge levels and rewards we're offering in the right sidebar of this page.
- Step 2: Click the large, green "BACK THIS PROJECT" button to the right of the trailer video at the top of this page.
- Step 3: Enter your pledge amount, and complete the steps for filling in your information. This process takes just a few seconds!
That's it! It's really that simple!
Thank you for backing! Once you've backed this project, we encourage you to share this page on social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, and to tell your friends. Also be sure to like Heroes Wanted on Facebook and follow Action Phase Games on twitter for real time updates.
Citizen (Pledge $1 or more) - Every contribution counts! The Champions of Zeta City thank you, citizen!
Sidekick (Pledge $38 or more) - (Early Bird! This level will be open until midnight EST on January 29th.) 1 copy of The Stuff of Legend with all of the stretch goals included. Free shipping in the US. ($7 off MSRP)
Crime Fighter (Pledge $40 or more) - 1 copy of The Stuff of Legend with all of the stretch goals included. Free shipping in the US. ($5 off MSRP)
Defender (Pledge $57 or more) - (Early Bird! This level will be open until midnight EST on January 29th.) 1 copy of The Stuff of Legend and both expansion packs: Breaking News and Champions and Masterminds 2. This pledge level includes all of the stretch goals. Free shipping in the US. ($12 off MSRP)
Guardian (Pledge $60 or more) - 1 copy of The Stuff of Legend and both expansion packs: Breaking News and Champions and Masterminds 2. This pledge level includes all of the stretch goals. Free shipping in the US. ($9 off MSRP)
Hero (Pledge $95 or more) - 1 copy of the Heroes Wanted base game and 1 copy of The Stuff of Legend with all stretch goals from this campaign. This pledge level is for backers who do not yet have Heroes Wanted or who want a second copy. Free shipping in the US. Estimated delivery of Heroes Wanted base game for US backers is April 2015. International backers will receive the entire reward in August 2015. ($15 off MSRP)
Champion (Pledge $125 or more) - Pledging at this level will earn you 1 copy of all of the following: Heroes Wanted, The Stuff of Legend, Extra, Extra, Breaking News, and Champions and Masterminds 1 & 2. All stretch goals from this campaign are included. This pledge level is for backers who do not yet have Heroes Wanted nor the original expansion packs, or who want additional copies. Free shipping in the US. Estimated delivery of Heroes Wanted base game, Extra, Extra, and Champions and Masterminds for US backers is April 2015. International backers will receive the entire reward in August 2015. ($33 off MSRP)
BECOME A HERO (Pledge $300 or more) - At this level, you, a friend, or a loved one will be a hero in The Stuff of Legend or the expansion pack Breaking News. We will decide the name and abilities of your card. Your image will be used on a Hero A card by submitting a photo and completing a brief questionnaire immediately after the project ends. You will also receive 1 copy of The Stuff of Legend with all the stretch goals and the expansion packs Breaking News and Champions and Masterminds 2. Free shipping in anywhere in the world!
BECOME A VILLAIN (Pledge $300 or more) - At this level, you, a frenemy, or a not-so-loved one will be a villain in The Stuff of Legend or the expansion pack Breaking News. We will decide the name and abilities of your card. Your image will be used on a Villain card by submitting a photo and completing a brief questionnaire immediately after the project ends. You will also receive 1 copy of The Stuff of Legend with all the stretch goals and the expansion packs Breaking News and Champions and Masterminds 2. Free shipping anywhere in the world!
- Shipping to US backers is included in your pledge! If you live outside of the the United States, you will need to select the appropriate delivery address and Kickstarter will add the corresponding fee.
- This project is EU Friendly. That means that EU backers will not have to pay VAT fees.
- Backers of the Be a Hero or Be a Villain levels receive free shipping to anywhere in the world.
- Additional copies of The Stuff of Legend can be added to any pledge level (other than Citizen) by increasing your pledge by $35 per copy. Make sure to note any additional copies ordered in your survey after the campaign ends. If you are an international backer who wants extra copies of The Stuff of Legend, send us a private message so we can tell you how much to add to cover shipping for the additional games.
- If your address changes after you submit your survey, please be sure to update it here on Kickstarter. If you do not, unfortunately we cannot be held responsible for packages delivered to an incorrect address.
Risks and challenges
As this is our second campaign, we have learned how to streamline as many aspects as we can of the game publishing process. In our first campaign, we encountered a handful of issues due to third-party partners and elements outside of our control:
1. Component issues: There were manufacturing issues with action cards being printed upside down and purple dice missing pips. We have since terminated our relationship with our previous manufacturing partner. In the hands of our new factory partner, the second printing of Heroes Wanted addressed both of these issues. We are confident we can maintain this level of quality for The Stuff of Legend.
2. Shipping delays: We did encounter some shipping delays due to inaccurate timelines given to us by our former partner during the manufacturing process, as well as weather and customs issues. While we cannot guarantee that similar issues will not happen with production of the expansion, we have done all we can to coordinate things on our end. We are prepared to enter pre-press immediately.
3. International shipping issues: Mistakes were made on our part in the fulfillment of rewards to a portion of our international backers. And while the majority of our backers did not encounter these issues, we did learn a great deal about this process from those problems. We have since established reliable contacts with other fulfillment partners that will allow us to avoid fulfillment delays.
As evidenced by our last project, we are willing to go the extra mile to solve any problems that may arise. As the scope and scale of this project is not as complex as the last one, we have every confidence that we will be able to deliver this expansion on time and that it will be of the highest possible quality.
As with the original campaign for Heroes Wanted, our greatest obstacle simply is funding the manufacture of this expansion for the game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (33 days)