BREAKING NEWS: We are the Champions!
At long last, and after much anticipation, we are happy to finally share two of our cards from the Champions and Masterminds add-on: Striker and his nemesis, Headpin. These layouts are close enough to the final version that we felt no need to delay sharing them any longer.
As you can see here, each Champion will have not one, not two, but three (or in the case of Fred Zeppelin, five!) Superpowers, in addition to a number of other abilities. Playing as a Champion fundamentally changes the nature of the game in other significant ways as well. For starters, there is no need to keep track of fame, as this is entirely co-op. Players will not use a hero bonus card or unlock an epic action. The only headlines that are used are the preset ones for each scenario, which, when achieved, allow you to simply lose an injury.
Masterminds are an entirely new take on villains, functioning as additional game AI with lose clauses attached for heroes. Not only will the Champs be trying to take down the Masterminds, but you can use them in the main game mode as expert level villains. Each Mastermind has a lose condition designed into them, as well as an additional rule for co-op mode: if any hero would take a 6th injury the game immediately ends and the Mastermind wins.
As you can see here, Headpin's henchmen are the crux to his nefarious exploits, ambushing heroes and Champs alike, and making him nigh impossible to KO without proper planning. Each Mastermind has their own unique way of bending the rules. Numb Skull overloads heroes with injuries. Her Majesty uses her hordes of powdered-wigged minions to protect her while she completes her schemes and makes a hasty escape!
The following cards 8 over-sized cards are included in this $10 add-on (5 Champions and 3 Masterminds):
- Bald Eagle: whose bare fists and patriotism is weapon enough
- Neutrino: cosmic superman who protects his fellow Champs, no matter the cost
- Striker: mythic bowling powerhouse
- Fred Zeppelin: inventor, billionaire, balloonist
- The Mammal: his unstable DNA allows him to shift into three different mammalian modes
- Headpin: Striker's nemesis and the self-appointed Headpin of Crime
- Numb Skull: nigh unstoppable madman who aims to injure anyone in his path
- Her Majesty: Elizabethan scourge whose loyal servants protect her above all else
To obtain a copy of Champions and Masterminds, you simply increase your pledge by $10--this includes shipping to all backers! We will send out a survey when the campaign ends, wherein backers itemize which items they opted to add beyond the base game.
A little more back story about into the two cards we showed above: Heroes Wanted is not their first appearance. That is correct, both Striker and Headpin are characters in a comic book drawn by Ryan Howe, who has done all of the illustrations for the game, written by our buddy Jamison Raymond, and published by Robot Paper in a comic book called Henchmen. Collectively, we saw a unique opportunity in tying the world of Henchmen and Heroes Wanted together--Striker joined the Champs roster, and inversely, some of our Champs will be making cameos in the near future of the comic book as they launch into their second story arc.
I could go on and on here, but instead, I will just give you a link to a free download of the first issue, featuring Striker and Headpin. We hope you enjoy it! We will have more news on Henchmen in a future update.
Speaking of henchmen, we are very close to unlocking our custom henchmen(eeples)! At some point tomorrow we plan to post the updated stretch goal image on our main page, which will show what we have planned for the rest of the campaign.
A few other points of interest:
- Our current social composite is 1,812--very close to unlocking two more promo cards not to be had in the retail edition of the game!
- Be sure to cast your votes in the last two days of our Be a Hero/Villain contest. As Kidiot has proven, it is never too late to try--he went from 0 to hero in a mere 48 hours!
- Offer up some catchphrase suggestions over on BGG for Promo Hunk.
- If you haven't considered our Extra, Extra add-on, do take a look at our last update for more info!
Until next time...