We're in it now, it's day after day after night after night of tubing intersecting with other tubing... a blur of grinding wheels, saw blades, rust, welding flash.
It's been a while since the last update, and a lot has happened - there's paint on the trailer core, and driveline components. I don't like paint, paint is a lie, a postponement of the inevitable decay that will, of course, win in the end. It also turns things into ideas.. by which I mean, the uniform coat of color unifies an assemblage, making it one, and burying all the detail of the raw metal beneath. But, we don't want this trailer to decay, I'm willing to put paint on it to draw out it's lifetime, make sure it gets some road miles on it before it all just rusts away. It feels so good to do the extra work to make sure that the thing will work in the long term - that we're not just building it for one party, but many many.
Although, to be honest, I can't remember why we're building it, what it's for, it just is, this monumental project, the doing is all I can think about, the why is for later.
Anyway. Paint is a nightmare. Clean the metal, spray the primer, try to keep the drips and runs to a minimum. Let dry, sand, clean, paint green. Repeat. It's awful. Toxic. There's so much concentration required... keeping the gun perpendicular, moving it evenly, watching the paint shine and flash. And then run! dammit.
Green over grey. I wish I'd gone with orange primer, the inevitable scratches would look better! It's all scratched up now, getting fitted with all of its various components - we have the driver's deck in place, the steering gearbox, the rear tires, the back deck support frame. We got the two side trusses figured out and aligned last night, getting ready to bolt those on today.
The nose frame is also together, which was fun. I've got the whole carousel modeled in 3D, so when it's time for the trusses to get notched, I can use the 3D model to generate the full-scale intersections, which we print out and tape on the tube, trace with a sharpie, and cut along. When it's done, the tubes all just fit together in the most satisfying way. Gotta love the 3D. It makes some things so much easier.
Sure soaks up the hours, though, the design work. But it's done too. Almost every detail. So many hours invested this design, and I hope it shows, I think the piece is going to look WAAAY better than the original. More shippy. More sexy. I can't wait.