Written by Olympic skier Libby Ludlow, A-B-Skis is a children’s alphabet book about the magical world of skiing. Designed to instill a lifelong love for skiing, A-B-Skis is a glimpse into everything that’s at the heart of the sport—from hot chocolate breaks to ripping runs with friends. The colorful illustrations by internationally-known illustrator and PSIA ski instructor Nathan Jarvis pique kid’s curiosity for the winter wonderland that awaits them on the slopes, while a playful rhymes guide kids through everything they can expect on a typical ski day.
Whether it’s the feeling of wind in your face, the freedom of being in the mountains, or sharing a chairlift ride with good friends, most of us can agree: there’s just something special about the sport of skiing. We’ve embraced it as a fun escape, a welcome challenge, and a heartfelt lifestyle… But what about the kids in our lives? The ones who haven’t discovered skiing yet, or are just learning? Finally, there’s a way to share your passion for skiing with the tiniest of humans.
Adults will treasure sharing A-B-Skis with the kids in their life, and kids won’t be able to wait for their next trip to the ski hill. Complete with a “Ten Tips for a Successful Ski Day” insert for adults, and a lifetime of happy ski days ahead, A-B-Skis is an alphabet book that every little skier will want to get their mittens on.
AUTHOR & ILLUSTRATOR
A-B-Skis is written to get kids curious and excited about skiing. With an eye for fun, every letter of the alphabet is a playful rhyme and illustration about some element of skiing...from life lessons (N is for never give up) and important expectations (G is for goggles), to skiing culture (H is for hot chocolate) and outdoor appreciation (V is for the view).
A-B-Skis is a 32-page 8.5"x11" full color hardcover children's book with the highest-quality printing and binding. The final product will be well worth the wait... Something that looks fantastic, stands the test of time, and makes a great gift.
PLAN & TIMELINE
A-B-Skis is completely written and in the process of being illustrated. One great thing about having Nathan illustrate A-B-Skis is that he's a very accomplished and talented artist, but that also means that he's in high demand. He has illustrated three pages so you can see what the final product will look like, but he will finish the rest of the illustrations when his schedule allows in early 2019. We need this Kickstarter to be fully funded so that we can begin the following production process and deliver A-B-Skis to the ski world next fall:
- December 2018: Professional editing
- January-April 2019: Finish illustrations
- May 2019: Finalize book design & order prototype
- June 2019: Review & make necessary adjustments
- July 2019: Make print order (Asia)
- September 2019: Receive print order
- October 2019: Mail copies to Kickstarter backers
- November 2019: Wholesale efforts continue
- BEYOND... A-B-Skis posters, stickers, plush toys, board book for baby, "level 2" book for more advanced skiers and readers
Yes, the delivery date is nearly a year away, but we can assure you it will be well worth the wait. Good things take time, and we want to make sure we have time to get everything right. Order A-B-Skis through this Kickstarter today, and you will receive a special edition hand-signed copy by both Libby and Nathan that won't be available to retail buyers at any other time.
LIBBY'S SPECIAL THANKS TO...
- Nathan for his enthusiasm, creativity, and willingness to believe in me and dive in!
- Natalie Simpson at Beehive Photo for the great video - www.beehivephoto.com
- Jonathan Selkowitz for his amazing ski racing photos - https://www.selkophoto.com
- Kate Ray for the beautiful portraits of me and Leo - www.falllinephotography.com
- My "A-B-Skis Feedback Group" (you know who you are!) for the invaluable feedback
- All of my friends who sent me videos of their adorable kids skiing
- Jake for supporting me and his Excel ninja-ry
- Leo for reminding me what it's like to see and experience things for the first time
- My parents for giving me the opportunity as a kid to fall in love with skiing
Risks and challenges
You should be very confident that we will deliver what we say we will, when we say we will. If unforeseen issues come up, we will handle them with the utmost transparency and care for you, our backers.
Supply Chain Risk: We trust our printing company will carry out their end of the deal. That said, sometimes shipping containers get delayed or stuck in customs. We have built ample padding into our schedule for these kind of things, but possibly not enough.
Acts of God: There could be a fire at our storage facility, a tsunami at the shipping port, or (fingers crossed!) the most unprecedented epic snow year in modern history. Whatever happens, we'll get through it together. We promise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)