Star Cross'd Destiny is a Cajun-spiced, dark-n-deadly, supernatural epic featuring explosions, witty banter, car chases, drama, and hi-octane action.
Volume 2 will be a glorious 144 pages or more of full color on 80lb gloss text with a flood coat cover. It will be slightly larger than Volume 1, with a trim size of 6x9, allowing for more detail in the lines and color to be preserved. Extras will feature updated writing, updated cast section, and bonus material including cover concepts, art, exclusive intel on the Betaverse, commentary, and guest art by some of SCD's very talented friends.
The SCD OST Volume Beta will feature brand new music I've written that encompasses the scenes found in Book 2 and Book 3. At this point it's slated to have around 8 songs ranging in variety from the full symphony to electronic and rock. A monumental sonic improvement, OST Beta will feature live professionally recorded performances of strings, guitar, oboe, piano, drums, and more. The intent for release is digital only at this time, but a few hard copies will be available via this campaign.
Star Cross'd Destiny is an action drama set in New Orleans that updates weekly at starcrossd.net.
Star Cross'd Destiny debuted in fall of 2003. Throughout its ten years online, many things have tried to kill it including life fiascos, relationship explosions, actual fires, traffic accidents, and the most recent and most devastating - the hard drive crash of 2008. While there was a break to recover and rebuild after the crash, not even the loss of the entire book could kill this comic. As one reader has so charmingly put it, "It's the Jean Gray of webcomics." And I love that because it's so right on.
After the crash I never thought Volume 2 would get finished, much less ever get printed, but thanks to the incredible support of friends, fellow webcomickers, artists, and musicians, and my awesome family, here we are!
Just like our Volume 1 preorder many years ago, all tiers above $20 (Volume 2 print edition) will come with exclusive extras including but not limited to: a copy of OST Volume Alpha on CD, Volume 2 bookmark, mini-print, wristband, button, digital download of selected Volume Beta soundtrack songs, and a thank you card - almost all of which will be exclusive to this campaign.
The money raised from this campaign will go towards printing Volume 2 in full color. Additionally, funding will be used to help get the comic back out to conventions, help make site improvements, and hopefully pay for some studio time to help make its Original Soundtrack counterpart as epic as it can be.
Customizing Your Reward.Is your favorite reward tier missing something, like a copy of Volume 1, figurine, Absinthe Junk CD, or issue copy? You can customize it! Just add the cost of the item to your pledge and send me a message at the end of the campaign with the details.
- Volume 1: add $10
- Original Soundtrack Volume Beta on CD: add $10
- Original Soundtrack Volume Beta download: add $5
- Issue 1 (second printing) or 6: add $5
- Figurine: add $25 (includes extra shipping in the US)
- Absinthe Junk CD: $10 (specify Death in the Afternoon or Living Ghosts)
- Absinthe Junk vinyl: add $25
- Amulet : add $50
- Voodoo Doll : add $40
- Art print : add $10 (for 1) or $20 (for 2)
Don't see an item you want to add? That's ok! Just send me a message and I'll let you know the skinny on getting all the extra goods you want.
To celebrate hitting 80% with two weeks left in the campaign, I've put together some groovy stretch goals!
- $5,500 - all Volume 1 and Volume 2 print editions will come signed. A handmade embroidered patch will be included in every order. These patches will be exclusive to the Kickstarter and will each be one of a kind, handmade with love by our super friend, Michelle! Also a second, Kickstarter exclusive, signed mini print will be included, along with an event pass style digital download card of exclusive Absinthe Junk and SCD songs.
- $6,000 - every pledge tier above $20 will receive a campaign exclusive signed art print (8x10), second bookmark, and all copies of Volume 2 will come signed with a mini-doodle on the front page.
- $6500 - every pledge tier above $20 will receive a free Absinthe Junk CD and exclusive 'Dragonflies in Hurricanes' (Juno's song) sticker to enjoy or share with a friend!
- $7000 - Bohemian Trash Studios gets an upgrade! If we hit $7000 I will be able to put my dying 7 year old workstation to rest and invest in a new machine, which means more pages more often! SCD will move to a twice a week update schedule starting in the summer.
- $7500 - Book 1 Color Release! If we break the $7500 mark I will be able to take the time off to spruce up Volume 1 and it will be reprinted in full color!
Risks and challenges
The most unique challenge of this project will be awareness - getting the book in the hands of people who may have gotten lost over the years. This will include coming up with the funding beyond this goal to travel to conventions, purchase advertising, and explore new opportunities to help get the comic more exposure. Overcoming the effects of the hiatus will most likely be the toughest challenge, but by continuing to maintain a regular update schedule, network, and reconnect with other artists/writers, I'm hopeful the comic can get back to being self-sustaining.
My intent is to have this book printed within the US, possibly even locally. While this will prove more expensive, I believe it's important to support your home. Overcoming the financial difference to keep the business local will be a challenge but it is one of my top priorities.
And of course, fulfilling this KS, should it be successful, will be a BEAR. Hopefully my hand will not fall off or anything else horrid. If it does, I will most definitely become a cyborg, because again - SCD is the Jean Gray of webcomics. XDLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
It is likely that your tour may have an escort for safety, ease of travel, and efficiency of moving around the city. This person would likely be someone from my family who would work very hard to not diminish the quality of your experience - if anything, they would help to make it better (like, say, get my ass out of bed in time XD). If you're interested in this reward, be cool. Simply put - have a clean record and don't be creepy. Your full name and background information will be required for the peace of mind of all parties involved. End of the line: be cool, mah babies, and we will have a super fun time!
If the ads are work-safe, will you accept ads for adult material at the Creator Print or Web Edition?
Because Star Cross'd Destiny's audience is generally young adults, I will not accept any ads that point to NSFW content. That said, I will accept ads for content rated R - gratuitous swearing, violence, and even limited/tasteful nudity are fine since I'm just as guilty of that content. Bottom line - no, you cannot advertise your porn here. You'd be missing your target audience anyway. :)
I will need print ads by April 1st at the very latest. The dimensions for those are 7inx5in. Please be sure to keep text within a half inch of the edge of the page, since SCD is printed full bleed.
Web ads will need to be submitted by the end of April. I will have the exact size for you hopefully by mid March.
Both editions will go "live" May 5th.
Support this project
- (30 days)