Faëria is a 1-on-1 turn based game embedded with an online platform where you can challenge other players.
Check out our Paypal shop here:
The project has been funded! Check our progress and updates:
More info about our stretch goals below.
What if you were to reinvent Magic: the Gathering but had a board in the gameplay's foundations? In Faëria, your lands not only serve as a resource: your lands are the battlefield.
You no longer question yourself with binary choices like "Do I attack or not?” - Instead you have to deal with land placement, resource gathering, creature and structure positioning, and how to invest your action points every turn. The layout of your lands is essential to victory because each of your land is where you’re allowed to play your cards from your hand.
Creatures and structures interact with the lands given their types: certain creatures have more power on forests, others combat immunity on deserts, etc. Event cards let you destroy the terrain or reshape it, others let you teleport creatures. The terrain offers a layer of depth that opens up a stunning strategic dimension, something never seen before in the Tradable Card Game genre.
Build up new strategies, collect cards, play the solo mode, observe PvP matches or compete in tournaments. Take the best from board games, tactical games and multiply the possibilities with cards and you get impressive diversity: every game you play becomes a unique story.
Beyond its huge potential as a game, Faëria is unusual for a Kickstarter project: you can pledge $15 to join in the closed beta immediately, not in 2 months but NOW. The closed beta launched on the 20th September 2013 and we're receiving constant reports of how much the community is enjoying Faëria!
The 3 cornerstones of Faëria: The dream of a TCG player
1. A simple game on top of deep gameplay: Making a game that we would get bored of? Never. Our initial goal is to make a game so deep we would want to play it forever.
2. Competitive play: We know what separates a casual game from a robust gameplay made to endure the most demanding gamers. Faëria involves so many tactical decisions that luck barely factors into the game.
3. A one-time purchase TCG: No microtransactions, no free-2-play. The only way to grow your collection of cards is to play.
Take control of resources
A magical energy spawns every 3 turns on the board’s edges: the faeria. You have 2 consumable resources to manage, gold and faeria. Gold gives you access to the more basic cards while faeria is required to play game changing cards or higher tier creatures/structures.
You can get gold by spending your action points but you need to rely on your creatures to collect Faëria. This resource system guarantees both simplicity and tension, as you will probably have to fight for the faeria resource.
Faëria features a morning-evening-night cycle and beyond being pretty and great for the atmosphere, this is one more mechanic that interacts with many cards.
The clock in the bottom right of the screen shows you what time of day it is, with the day divided into three parts as shown below.
Some creatures’ abilities to tease you
- Jump is a great way for you to advance your minions on the board, jumping over opponent creatures.
- Conquest lets you gain control of lands your creatures move over, reducing your enemy’s land count and providing you with additional locations to play your cards from your hand.
- Charge lets your creature cross several lands when moving.
- Ranged Attack provides a tactical advantage that can make advancing against your sensitive spots an expensive proposition.
- Aquatic creatures do not require lands to move, they can fight and advance over water. Great mobility always pays off!
We will not sell cards through micropayments simply because we would not feel right doing so. We want everyone to be treated equally. Faëria is a one-time purchase TCG, Pay2Win is for scrubs.
Players will be able grow their collection just by playing the game. This is part of the benefits of making a digital TCG, we could not do the same with physical cards.
- You receive a certain amount of XP and Memoria for each game you play.
- The higher your level, the more memoria you earn per game played (max level is 30).
- You can spend Memoria to open books (packs of cards) in the Memorium.
Microtransactions in Faëria will be restricted to comestic features like avatars, more detailed account plaques, alternate creature tokens, etc.
Faëria has been designed to immerse you in a world filled with legends of old. We wanted to create high quality lore, make something authentic, deep and consistent. We could not resist this challenge and started to dream up a world. We began this daunting task like naive children, and we literally grew up with it: the game's name and background are the only aspects that resisted change during the 7 years of development.
What makes Faëria interesting is how well everything is connected. We took the time necessary to let the gameplay evolve, taste it, see how it can influence the lore, then let the lore grow and have it influence the gameplay and the graphics in turn. It felt like crafting a jewel you are never ready to show.
Everyone knows it's not developers who decide which game will be a success but players, and that's even more true in the case of an online TCG where a large player base is key to success. We share a close relationship with the players because we love to discuss design, new combos, watch their reactions on their Twitch channel or simply answer their questions. We're amazed to see the response: there is over 700 members on the forum and lots of community sites are showing up all over the place. This is our priceless reward for making Faëria!
We invite you to watch the work that has been done by our early fans, there's a lot to learn from them:
- Faëria on Twitch: people doing Faëria live streams!
- JoyfulRogue's channel: Joy is our most active player, you can ask him questions live and watch him respond :-)
- TorNis's channel: The most famous russian stream ;-) His channel is mainly in english.
- Faëria decks: a deck editor tool that lets you share your inventions, made by Tidwell.
- Faëria wiki: wiki made by PattyFTW.
- Islands of Faëria: a deviant art by RequiemsVoid.
- Faëria SCG:french fan site, by Bestio.
- Faëria SCG on youtube
- faeria.de: german fan site.
- Beginner's Corner: tutorial videos and guides posted by players on our forum.
Prototyped back in 2009, Faëria has entered its closed beta stage since September 2013 and it’s turning into a rapid success. Players’ feedback is amazing and reinforces our perception. Damn! we aren’t the only ones who have a ton of fun with this game and that’s amazing! Deep inside its unique gameplay and visual identity, Faëria has what it takes to become a real classic, an extraordinary game that can become timeless, one that you won’t forget.
This is why we’re coming to Kickstarter: we want to have the chance to add the missing features and illustrations, the stunning polish on sounds and animations and to build a team able to sustain the game and its expansions. We are also convinced that Kickstarter’s users are passionate people who can reinforce our community if not provide its backbone. We love interacting with players, whether it be on our forum or in the game!
Below is a preview of the future PvE mode featuring Faëria's world map.
We will release expansions for the game but make no mistake: they will include a lot more than just cards, Faëria is more like a MMO in this regard!
- New game mechanics: Multicolored cards anyone? Special land cards? Undead creatures? Mountable creatures? Who knows!
- Important features: sideboard, tiled graveyard, ...?
- Additional quest zones, challenges, achievements,...
- Extended lore, new themes, new musics.
If you still have doubts about the game's quality, here is something you can do: pledge $15, receive the beta key within 24h, play, then, if you don't enjoy the game, cancel your pledge. That way you can try the game and make your opinion and get refunded.
Features already present in the current closed beta
- A solo mode of 4 quests.
- 240 cards (and counting)
- An automatic matchmaking system as well as private matches.
- 17 Achievements.
- A deck builder.
- A trading system.
- The “Memorium”: where you recover your memory (get cards!).
- Chatrooms and private message system.
- A ranking/ladder (classic ELO system).
Click here for more information on the closed beta.
An online tournament will take place sometime during Winter to celebrate this Kickstarter with everyone who pledged at least $15.
The top 128 winners will be rewarded with prizes worth a combined $20,000 (high level pledges and SteelSeries peripherals). The player who finishes first will also receive the original Yak's painting. All promo cards available through this Kickstarter will be legit during that tournament.
Yes! Faëria will be released, and we will be able to work on the new client, and on the features described above. Hurrah!
Players will be able to submit their own card design to a voting system. Every week, 5 cards will be picked and will be added to a pool. At the end of the month, the winner is announced, the card gets illustrated and gets into the game.
Designing a card means you get to decide its name and color, its casting cost, its effect, stats and rarity. Everything.
Of course you will have to respect guidelines and the cards' wording. Your card will also have fo fit into Faëria's lore. Droid punks and boobs not admitted, sorry! If we reach this strech goal, this system will be integrated to them game.
By popular demand.
This goal includes: Guild rankings: a completely separate ranking for guilds. Guild showdowns: guilds can challenge each other, offering schedules and format to a series of consecutive matches (team drafting, 1v1 or 2v2). Too many invitations refused means penalty. Private channels and stash: guilds will have their own chat channel and stash where they can store and share cards.
This is gonna be so awesome, we can't wait for this. You can count on the dev team to run its own guild, be prepared :-)
Cards are the meat and butter of Faëria: more things to combine together, more different decks, more cards to collect, more faeries and dragon, more everything. This will raise the total of cards in the release version to 300 cards. That's a very strong card base considering we don't design trash cards but try to make every single card playable.
Previous stretch goals add more features to the game but we also have many ideas to go a step further to improve the assets of the game: soundtrack, backgrounds or animations.
The game experience would have a more exciting feeling, that all players will enjoy from the first game!
Now comes the serious stuff. A 2v2 mode is something that will truly multiply Faëria's value. There will be an additional ladder. New strategies will be possible. Some decks will combo, others won't. And above all the game will allow you to have fun with friends :-) This is how the 2v2 will play as designed today:
- Teammates get to play simultaneously.
- Every turn, each teammate receives 3 actions but no additional gold.
- Teammates have a separate deck, hand and graveyard.
- Teammates share the same orb.
- The map is the same size (well, except if we change our mind during playtesting).
You don't have a credit card (for Amazon account) but you want to pledge during Kickstarter? We have added an option for you, click on this link:
Legal notice : these are previews only and may not represent the final product.
Every backer who pledge 15$ or more will have access to the Kickstarter Winter Beta Tournament !
Official Kickstarter Wallpaper
Includes all 4 colored cards. The Trinity Champion is reserved to the THE TRINITY pledge tier.
The player emblems are visible everywhere in the game: chat rooms, profiles, ladder, in-game, etc. The avatar and the player emblem are two distinctive assets. Avatars will be unlockable through achievements.
Ogre Boulder Thrower & Thyrian Colossus alternates by Ibrahem Swaid. Fortune Hunter alternate by Mathieu Loiseau.
Risks and challenges
We already did the hard part, making sure we had a solid game that could generate hype and replay value. We prototyped dozens of game mechanics, tested hundreds of cards and did countless online playtests, with the largest ones gathering hundreds of players online simultaneously.
Given the passion and the expertise we have put to make the current version, we have no doubt that, with your help, we will be able to achieve a ground breaking release version by mid 2014.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)